Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

shopping

djk5038

Currently shopping for a boat. Narrowed it down to a Malibu VTX or MC X2.

I like both boats but here are my thoughts / concerns / questions. Not looking for MC slams. Would appreciate any helpful feedback or guidance.

Local Malibu dealer is new and small.

MC is large dealer with larger staff.

Boat will be kept at a marina and want someone who can perform work at marina. MC can. Malibu doubtful.

MC is $10K more

MC warrantly is shorter

Malibu has a few extra features.

don't intend to buy trailer. no tow vehicle. previous family boat didn't leave marina for 10 years. Is this a bad idea?

Are there any problems inherent to Malibu boats in general?

If I knew both boats would hold up perfectly I think I like Malibu a little better. Just don't know enough about them and the small dealership makes me a little nervous for servicing issues.

thanks.

Welcome!

Where is the next closest Malibu dealer? If the small guy were to go out of business, would there be another close(ish) dealer that you could go to?

Also – I assume you are buying new, correct?

If you're comparing the VTX to the X2 I assume your thinking the V25 wake hull on the VTX. If you were considering the diamond hull on the VTX you may have a hard time getting it this year.

As you may expect, between the two boats, I would prefer the Malibu. The "why" probably seems silly, I really just don't like the pickle fork front on the MC.

As for the new small dealer, I understand your position. However, you could think about it this way as well. If they seem to be a good dealer and you think they'll be around, a new retail establishment has a tendency to remember it's first customers. If I were a store owner I would always want to take care of the people who helped me get started. The problem is, this is a judgement call only you can make. Maybe you can talk to some people who have purchased from them and see how they are being taken care of.

If you're comparing the VTX to the X2 I assume your thinking the V25 wake hull on the VTX. If you were considering the diamond hull on the VTX you may have a hard time getting it this year.

As you may expect, between the two boats, I would prefer the Malibu. The "why" probably seems silly, I really just don't like the pickle fork front on the MC.

As for the new small dealer, I understand your position. However, you could think about it this way as well. If they seem to be a good dealer and you think they'll be around, a new retail establishment has a tendency to remember it's first customers. If I were a store owner I would always want to take care of the people who helped me get started. The problem is, this is a judgement call only you can make. Maybe you can talk to some people who have purchased from them and see how they are being taken care of.

Actually the boat they have in stock is a diamond hull.

Actually the boat they have in stock is a diamond hull.

The VTX on the diamond hull seems very popular this year. I was told all the production for this year was already sold out since they only have a couple of molds for the hull. I've also been told that this is a great crossover boat combination.

With that said, I haven't actually seen the wake or the VTX with the diamond hull. It's something to consider though. If you picked this boat up and didn't like it for some reason it seems like a boat that is in high demand, you should be able to unload it pretty easily.

Both boats use Indmar engines, so service at either place should be available. Transmissions (guessing) and instrument panels would be different though. The I.P. is the only part of my boat that makes me nervous, it seems like a very delicate device considering all the information that passes through there, and I bet there are "no user serviceable parts". Just remove and replace the whole unit, which would be brand specific to that dealer.

What do you plan to do when it's winter time? I assume Nashville is not far enough south to not winterize. Would you not need a trailer for this?

What do you plan to do when it's winter time? I assume Nashville is not far enough south to not winterize. Would you not need a trailer for this?

Boat will be kept in the slip at the marina. on a hoist. my concern for the trailer is if the boat gets damaged to a point it has to leave the water or for resale.

djk, if the dealer is TNT I believe they actually have outsold the MC dealer there, and they use an excellent fiberglass guy (I've used the same one previously).

Talk to them about a verbal commitment for service, and give them a chance.

Peter

Having owned both lines in the the past few years, they both have their positives and negatives. I personally prefer a Malibu. I prefer the boat overall, and like the service network much better. In my experience, Mastercraft has a real arrogance about them from the dealer all the way to the plant. It is really hard to get anything done with them. Malibu, on the other hand, has been great all the way from the dealer to the plant.

I don't really see the differences you are talking about. If you are talking about TNT they are great. They come to Center Hill every fall and winterize mine as well as their customers. The only thing I know is all warranty work has to be done at their shop. I believe the reason they don't have as much stock is because most are special ordered and it is my understanding they don't have much stock left. When I talked to Andrew he said they would be out of 07's by mid June if not earlier. If you like the VTX better I would not hesitate at all. Alot of my friends have bought boats from them and have been very happy. The last time I talked to Andrew he had a guy trade an 07 X-45 for a new 247 because he was not happy. Good luck in your decision.

I'm going to give you different comments from most on this board. As far as the boat goes, ride in and behind them and get the one you like best. I love my Malibu and they're going to pry it out of my cold, dead hands, but I believe MC and M (BOTH) make good boats. If the dealer is TNT, don't let any perceived size/experience issues bother you. Andrew has been in the boat game for a while.

I wouldn't buy XYZ brand simply because the local dealer is the biggest. Get both boats on the water and see which one fits your needs the best. Lake tests can be very revealing. Heck, our MC dealer wouldn't demo a boat till they had a firm deal and deposit in hand. Bu however, small dealer I might add, bent over backwards to lake test and show why they felt Bu was better.

I haven't spent much time in either boat, so my opinion is based on boat showing. All of the MC and even CC didn't come close on plushness of the interior. All other aspects--quality, warranty, functionality, etc... seem to be quite close with the big three. In my eyes, Bu is right up there in quality, a lot nicer inside, and is more than just a few K less. Throw the wedge in their and to me, it seems like a no-brainer