Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Problem flipping the ball on a hitch

CedarLakeSkier

I have a hitch that is a 2 inch drop.

The hitch will work either way, as a 2 inch drop (the way it is set up) or a two inch rise (the way I need it).

The problem is that the ball is on the hitch so tight I can't loosen it to flip it around. I've already cracked a wrench putting it on the nut and hitting it with a hammer to try and loosen it. Any suggestions as to how I can loosen this?

Thanks

Bigger wrench. Biggrin.gif

I would put the ball in a bench vise, put a pipe wrench on the nut, extend the handle of the pipe wrench with a 3 - 4 foot piece of pipe (for leverage), and lean into it. If you have a propane torch...heat the nut right before you put the pipe wrench on it. Thumbup.gif

I have a hitch that is a 2 inch drop.

The hitch will work either way, as a 2 inch drop (the way it is set up) or a two inch rise (the way I need it).

The problem is that the ball is on the hitch so tight I can't loosen it to flip it around. I've already cracked a wrench putting it on the nut and hitting it with a hammer to try and loosen it. Any suggestions as to how I can loosen this?

Thanks

You could go to U-haul or another one of those truck accessory places and they may be able to help you with their equipment.

We actually just ended up buying a new receiver and ball this year so your post is impeccable timing, literally not 2 weeks back! Our trailer was sitting way too low so we had to flip it up, only problem the ball was rusted on to the receiver; I went to U-haul and the guys were great at helping get a new one placed on the truck. But that could be b/c I am a girl and why Todd sent me instead of himself??? Tease.gif

Edited by The Garslayer
...I went to U-haul and the guys were great...But that could be b/c I am a girl and why Todd sent me instead of himself???
Yes.gif

What do you know. Todd is smarter than he looks. :lol:

Bigger wrench. Biggrin.gif

I would put the ball in a bench vise, put a pipe wrench on the nut, extend the handle of the pipe wrench with a 3 - 4 foot piece of pipe (for leverage), and lean into it. If you have a propane torch...heat the nut right before you put the pipe wrench on it. Thumbup.gif

Be Careful with this method, I broke the shaft on the ball doing it this way, and did a nice face plant into the garage floor.

Then I went to the local hardware store and bought an all stainless reciever and ball, never a problem since, plus its shiney all the time and really easy to clean up.

Edited by asnowman

wallmart and homedepot (and I'm sure others) have a wrench that is built for trailer balls and it's cheap and long. Put the hitch in the truck sideways and just stand on it. I've never had a problem getting it to break loose. If the ball is spinning you'll need to get it into a vise.

You could go to U-haul or another one of those truck accessory places and they may be able to help you with their equipment.

We actually just ended up buying a new receiver and ball this year so your post is impeccable timing, literally not 2 weeks back! Our trailer was sitting way too low so we had to flip it up, only problem the ball was rusted on to the receiver; I went to U-haul and the guys were great at helping get a new one placed on the truck. But that could be b/c I am a girl and why Todd sent me instead of himself??? Tease.gif

Hey Garslayer,

You want to take mine to the U-haul place Biggrin.gif

If I even suggested this to my wife, I think she'd probably tell me where I could attach the hitch.... if you know what I mean.. Whistling.gif

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Hey Garslayer,

You want to take mine to the U-haul place Biggrin.gif

If I even suggested this to my wife, I think she'd probably tell me where I could attach the hitch.... if you know what I mean.. Whistling.gif

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

LMAO!!! I may have directed Todd initially on where he could relocate the hitch! Good luck! ROFL.gif

Propane torch will work wonders. Be sure and put some anit-seize on the threads before re-installation. A large pipe wrench will give you much more leverage and less chance of slipping. It will likely mark up the nut, but it is a hitch ball afterall (who cares).

Just get a new one..

Then you have one with a drop, and one with a rise. Dontknow.gif

I had the oppsit same problem - need a drop and it was stuck on rise.

Just got a new one - costs less than hasseling with it.

Just get a new one..

I had the oppsit same problem - need a drop and it was stuck on rise.

Just got a new one - costs less than hasseling with it.

The perfect solution.

Cut it off and throw it away, it's ceased and you will only booger up the treads if it breakes free anyway. Next ball, use teflon tape on the treads and tighten it till only the lockwasher bottoms on the flat washer. Overtightening is a common misconception on trailer balls. If you have to flip-flop alot, buy a second drawbar and ball, it's well worth it.

Just flipped mine around late last year becasue my trailer brakes were locking up too much (due to improper towing angle). 18" pipe wrench and a hand sledge while installed on truck, got it first swing.

Just get a new one..

Or just use it as an ancore, and tell everyone this is what you do to things/people that give you a hard time Tongue.gif

Just flipped mine around late last year becasue my trailer brakes were locking up too much (due to improper towing angle). 18" pipe wrench and a hand sledge while installed on truck, got it first swing.

Did you use the sledge to put it back on too?

Did you use the sledge to put it back on too?

Brute force was not required upon reassembly...

The "Buy another approach" is the easiest. However, you could try hittting it several times with PB Blaster and letting that soak for an hour or so and try again.

Remember: Better living through chemicals.