Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 hh water coming out by the starter

WakeSurfingVLX06

Help water is leaking out where the starter is bolted to the bell housing.the more rpms the more water.There is no water in the oil.Engine is not over heating.I had it winterized but it was late in the winter.Do they have to run motor to winterize it.If they did should they have seen this.

No water in oil. Only water leaking out? No other external leaks? Has to be expansion (freeze) plug on the back of the block. I think there's two of them back there that keep water in the motor.

edit: Or the other possibility dare I say is cracked block. Although that's not the typical place they will crack.

Edited by vette-ski

It might be a disconnected or lose hose. Some disconnect hoses to introduce antifreeze into the engine. I'd start pulling on hoses til you find the one that pops off.

not sure if the hh has it, but my monsoon has 2 hose that run of the exhaust manifolds, and they connect together. on mine, where they are connected is just about at the started location. they are connected with a plastic connection (lools almost like those garden hose splice kits, except yellow). if you have one, maybe it is disconnected or cracked).

not sure if the hh has it, but my monsoon has 2 hose that run of the exhaust manifolds, and they connect together. on mine, where they are connected is just about at the started location. they are connected with a plastic connection (lools almost like those garden hose splice kits, except yellow). if you have one, maybe it is disconnected or cracked).

Thanks for all the help everyone. I will start looking into the plugs and hoses. Hope I sleep better tonight lol. Has anyone had to replace there freeze plugs?

Just to clarify, they are not freeze plugs. They are block casting plugs. These plugs are not a plug designed to "pop out" to alleviate pressure due to freezing water. They are plugs used to drain sand out of the block when it is being cast and just happen to be a point of least resistance when freezing occurs within the block. They are not located in the bottom half of the block, so it is still likely that there may have been some freezing damage to the block.

If it ends up being one of the block casting plugs, let us know and I'll provide some advice for assessing additional damage to the block.

There is also the knock sensor that I believe is on the same side. Many people will remove that sensor to drain that side of the block. Check to see if has been re-installed.

Help water is leaking out where the starter is bolted to the bell housing.the more rpms the more water.There is no water in the oil.Engine is not over heating.I had it winterized but it was late in the winter.Do they have to run motor to winterize it.If they did should they have seen this.

Again Thanks to all. I have Good news and Bad news. The bad news is I will have to admit to what I did please be kind this is my first Inboard. Good news nothing is wrong with the engine and I am not out 10 grand. Clap.gif OK here goes the hard part Whistling.gif I have had a Bass boat for the last 6 years,start,go,pump out bilge at 60 MPH. I left my rear heater on and it drained the bat. flipped switch to all and started boat with water above the bell housing Whistling.gif this caused the flywheel to suck in even more water. When my friend opened the engine compartment to see how much water was in the bilge it looked very bad seeing water coming out at the starter,and I will clean and repack the grease. TY Innocent.gif

Again Thanks to all. I have Good news and Bad news. The bad news is I will have to admit to what I did please be kind this is my first Inboard. Good news nothing is wrong with the engine and I am not out 10 grand. Clap.gif OK here goes the hard part Whistling.gifI have had a Bass boat for the last 6 years,start,go,pump out bilge at 60 MPH. I left my rear heater on and it drained the bat. flipped switch to all and started boat with water above the bell housing Whistling.gif this caused the flywheel to suck in even more water. When my friend opened the engine compartment to see how much water was in the bilge it looked very bad seeing water coming out at the starter,and I will clean and repack the grease. TY Innocent.gif

Hey buddy, this is a FAMILY site, we will not tolerate that kind of talk around here.

It's ok to make little mistakes like that sometimes. That's how we learn. Now, go have fun in the boat.

Odd you mention that, for I had a customer with the same problem and I just couldn't imagine it happening twice in less than 8 months.

If your bilge fills up with water to the oil pan or higher, (bilge pump bad/inop/etc) your flywheel that is tucked nicely between the engine and the transmission (under that BELLhousing) will ever so nicely pickup the water and spray it up so it looks like your block is spewing water all over.

The fix - drain the water from your bilge. Restart motor and voila! Apparently leak sealed. :)

Glad you solved the problem, and were man enough to admit it.

Peter. :)

you kinda lost me, so what was wrong exactly?

It was operator error. I left my VLX in the water for 4 days with the rear heater still on. I don't know how I mist it. There was to much water in the bilge when I restarted it because the battery had drained. I switched over to the other battery and sucked up even more water. Making it look like water was coming out of the engine right by my starter.

It was operator error. I left my VLX in the water for 4 days with the rear heater still on. I don't know how I mist it. There was to much water in the bilge when I restarted it because the battery had drained. I switched over to the other battery and sucked up even more water. Making it look like water was coming out of the engine right by my starter.

I'd be worried about where the water came from. Water in the bilge up to the bell housing is a lot of water to accumulate in 4 days.

I'd be worried about where the water came from. Water in the bilge up to the bell housing is a lot of water to accumulate in 4 days.

Yes I will look at that. I probably had some water in there to start with. I will check the shaft and adjust it and keep a look out for any build up of water from now on. On Monday night when I put the boat back in lake to check for my mistake it was poring down rain so was kind of hard to tell. Thats what the dealer thinks it is.

Yes I will look at that. I probably had some water in there to start with. I will check the shaft and adjust it and keep a look out for any build up of water from now on. On Monday night when I put the boat back in lake to check for my mistake it was poring down rain so was kind of hard to tell. Thats what the dealer thinks it is.

Rain probably makes the most sense. I'd look at the rudder box/port too. In my experience, that's a more common place for leakage while the boat isn't running than the stuffing box.

Check to see if the water entering your bilge is warm(er) than the lake. There's quite a number of places water can enter a VLX (with all the ballast tanks, hoses, etc). After you run your boat, if the bilge water is warm, its coming from the engine somewhere, not the shaft or the ballast system. And here's another thing to check if, indeed, the water is warm. Check out the crossover/silencer/muffler on the engine. When Malibu made my boat, it seems they fitted the crossover a little too close to the engine. The crossover was rubbing against the impeller housing and actually rubbed a hole in the crossover, which is made of fiberglass. My bilge was filling up with the water entrained in the exhaust!!!! My dealer said that was only the second time they had ever seen that!!!!

Edited by Gordo