Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gasoline Octane

HoustonPerson

Somehow I discovered on the Indmar web site that the correct octane for the Monsoon in my boat is 89 - not the 87 I have been using the first year.

Apparently, this is true according to my most recent post over at MBO. So I will be changing to the middle grade gasoline to see how it goes.

What octane do you use and what engine?

(Oh man, no speel cheeker, this will get baad quikc, even wiht it - its baad)

I've generally been using 89 with the occasional 87 thrown in when I forget to tell the gas jockey the right octane. :Doh:

I have the Monsoon II...

I have the monsoon and use primarily 87 octane. I haven't really noticed much of a difference bumping up to midgrade... Worst case it will cause some more knocking (I think) - and we have a sensor for that Rockon.gif

JZ

I have read that the CPUs in our boats will actually retard the timing slightly to compensate if we run 91. The Malibu CPUs are set up for 89. 87 octane is burn slightly cooler and tend to build up a little more carbon in the engine. In the long run this will decrease engine life and fuel economy. As for my boat we burn 89 for these reasons and so that if anything untowards happens we will have followed the recommendations as close as we can.

Joe

I've actually noticed a 2-300 RPM difference at WOT when using 87 versus 89. I attribute this to retarded spark timing. We typically run 89 for the first tank every year, then 87 after that. We try to run a can of Sea Foam through once a summer too just to keep the carbon buildup to a minimum and to keep those injectors free of debris and gunk.

I started out using the premium when I first got the boat (w/Monsoon 325)but later I tried a tank of regular old regular. I couldn't tell the difference, so now I buy the cheapest gas I can find and it works great.

I generally run one or two tanks of 89 throughout the year and usually fill up with 89 for layup, otherwise 87 is fine for me and I have yet to notice any side effects.

On the Monsoon use 89 octane for maximum performance. On hot days if you use 87 the timing will retard slighty to allow for the hotter 87 octane gas. You probably couldn't tell any difference when riding in it though. Higher octane gas burns cooler than lower octane.

i was running 87 and noticed an occassional backfire so i bumped to 89.

backfire still there. perhaps 1 in 10 or 1 in 15 during power up. we do lotsa idling (to heat water for a shower in michigan) so i have been wondering if that is a problem. 2004 LCR. anyone else backfiring?

backfire still there.  perhaps 1 in 10 or 1 in 15 during power up.  we do lotsa idling (to heat water for a shower in michigan) so i have been wondering if that is a problem.  2004 LCR.  anyone else backfiring?

IIRC, you don't have a sensor to change the timing on the LCR. Jerry (Sunrise) can jump in here.

backfire still there.  perhaps 1 in 10 or 1 in 15 during power up.  we do lotsa idling (to heat water for a shower in michigan) so i have been wondering if that is a problem.  2004 LCR.  anyone else backfiring?

IIRC, you don't have a sensor to change the timing on the LCR. Jerry (Sunrise) can jump in here.

true, no knock sensor.

They only sell 93 at my end of the lake so that's what I use. My engine's low tech though, so it may not matter as long as I use the min. reqs.

it all depends on the mood i'm in. 89 most of the time. some days it's 91. always the lowest possible from the dock pumps(usually 87). dock prices are so friggin' pricey. one marina last year at shasta it was 3.38/gal. that was an expensive tank.

I've got the Monsoon 325, and I usually run mid-grade in it. Out of habit of fueling the truck, I mistakenly put the lower-grade stuff in the boat the first time out this year.