Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower for 96 Response LX

CLOUT1

My brother has a 96 Response LX and is thinking about putting a tower on it. Anyone done it and or any thoughts about what tower would work the best. He is an avid slalom skier and footer but has two boys who want to wakeboard more than anything else.

Sorry..... and I know I'm gonna get creamed here..... but, I CRY when I see a purebread ski-machine being turned into a wakeboard boat.

I've kinda done it too, on a temporary basis .... 3 of my 5 kids have decided that wakeboarding is more fun than slalom. So, I bought a skypole and fatsacks. They love seeing that tall poll mounted on the boat.... and this year I will be adding a wakeboard rack (to get their darn wakeboards off the floor).... but frankly, I can't stand seeing my ski-machine turned into something its not supposed to be. Then, we add the fat sack.... and sink the boat into the water another 2 inches or so. But.... the Response is such a fantastic ski-boat that the extra 2 inches draft hardly makes a difference. Wake is still almost flat as a pancake. It's trying to tell my kids something.... it's saying "Don't try and turn me into something I'm not!"

As for actually "drilling" holes into that precious gunnel and adding a permanent tower....then.... oh no.... some stupid gazillion watt speakers that announce to everybody within 5 miles around the lake that they should come to the shore to watch and listen to my choice of music (whether they like it or not)..... I just can't do it. I can't.

Before you change that beautiful RLX into something else..... something it just doesn't want to be..... maybe consider selling it to a pure ski enthusiast.... who will keep it pure.... and you can buy a cross-over boat.

My Response LX doesn't want to see it's brother permanently deformed.

My ski-rant is done. Sorry for the hijack.

My 02 RLX has a tower and we ski 95% of the time. True it's a ski boat and maybe the tower doesn't belong as you say.

I have even considered taking it off to save weight but like the rear seat it's useful as people grab hold of it rather than wreaking the bimini. It's also a great tool for teaching deep water starts.

To us, 15' off skiers, the weight effect of the tower and seat is nothing and personally I think how much fuel we carry would have more effect.

Clout 1 Also look at the Samson Tower also which are custom made towers. www.samsonsports.com Not only is a tower a great teaching aid for deep water starts, you can put ski racks and board racks on them to get all the clutter out of the boat.