Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon acting like an old lady

Frank,

You may want to check the gas tank vent line also and make sure it hasn't been stopped up or kinked somehow. That would cause a vacuum in the gas tank pretty quickly especially a higher RPMs and make the pump starve. Its easy to check.

Any other Sporty owners have a filter back there???
No.gif No inline filter like the one on Rlx's. I work on a couple of Rlx's every year (winterizing & dewinterizing) and I moved the inline on one (to right near the packing box) and I am going to put a spin-on on the other soon.

My Sporty has a remote mounted, spin-on fuel filter / water separator mounted on the stringer to the starboard side of the engine compartment. If your not familiar with these...they look like oil filters.

Edited by NorCaliBu
I work on a couple of Rlx's every year (winterizing & dewinterizing) and I moved the inline on one (to right near the packing box)
Excellent. Didn't realize you had this type of experience. . .why don't you take a business trip out here and relocate the inline on my boat? I'll take you skiing. :)
I work on a couple of Rlx's every year (winterizing & dewinterizing) and I moved the inline on one (to right near the packing box)
Excellent. Didn't realize you had this type of experience. . .why don't you take a business trip out here and relocate the inline on my boat? I'll take you skiing. :)

Send me an airline ticket and I'm there. :)

Send me an airline ticket and I'm there. :)

No, no, no. I said, "business" trip. Bill it to the man. Jerry would. ;)
No, no, no. I said, "business" trip. Bill it to the man. Jerry would.
Ya, but then you'd have Jerry working on your boat. Shocking.gif And the fuel system no less...Blowup.gif Edited by NorCaliBu
No, no, no. I said, "business" trip. Bill it to the man. Jerry would.
Ya, but then you'd have Jerry working on your boat. Shocking.gif And the fuel system no less...Blowup.gif

ROFL.gifBiggrin.gif

I confirmed that our Sporty does not have a fuel filter between the tank and the pump, but should. Based upon suggestions, I connected a remote tank to the engine. I did this by disconnecting the fuel at the tank and splicing in a fuel line from an outboard motor with a fuel bulb. I could keep the engine running at high RPM buy manual pumping only. When I took the pump off the engine I noticed on the inlet to the pump a fine screen within the pump that was partially blocked. Because of its small diameter, it didn’t take much. After a cleaning, she was back in business. Needless to say, I will be adding an in-line filer to avoid future problems.

Hope this helps others with similar problems.

Frank