Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Good quality rec/performance ski and Wiley Bindings?

Arctic Slalom

I'm looking to buy a good quality recreational/performance ski to progress with. I'm 28, 6'-4" and 220 lbs. I've been considering a 06' 69" HO Triumph from Wiley's. I've never used a rear full boot, but am thinking it would be much better than the 20 year old O'Brien world cup w/ toe plate, which I have been using. What is the significant advantage of Wiley's bindings? It looks like they are all 'rubber' vs. the regular composite materials which the HO shocks or Venons are made from... Does anyone have insight on a good ski or binding recommendations which would work for me?

I've recently relocated back to my home state (where there are much more lakes), bought an older malibu and plan to ski much more in the coming summers. Any insight would be great....

They are a basic binding to the ho bindings but are very soft and comfy.I use a rear wiley with a trick wrap and am very happy with it.Thinking of changing to a front wiley from my approach.

One of my ski partners got the wiley bindings on his KD a few years back. His were much too soft and offered hardly any support versus the Animals the rest of us had at the time. He quickly changed them out for something else. I understand that the Wiley trick wraps are the ones that people use that give the better support. But hopefully someone else will chime in. IMO the HO Venoms offer the same support as the Wiley standard wraps. I'd call up Wiley's and see what they will do for you to upgrade to the HO Animals -- probably only be a few bucks.

I would also think that if you spend much time at all on the water that the you will outgrow the Triumph pretty quickly and want to move to the old ASX or to the CDX in short order.

You might want to take a look on www.ski-it-again.com to see if there is a slightly used Triumph to pick up and run for a couple months. See how that goes and then maybe consider a new ski at the end of this year. The ASX or whatever they called it the last couple years might also be a good used ski to purchase and then consider the CDX or the System 8.

World Record is held by a skier who used Wiley bindings. As others have said, most skiers who ski on Wiley's, use the "Trick Wrap" for the front binding. I've used their trick wrap and jump bindings and think they are incredibly comfortable.

You may want to look at the Connelly Draft hinge bindings, just a thought. It just came out and I haven't been on mine yet but I can't wait, I can only imagine the support. You can set them up to match the arch on your feet, just amazing concepts that we continue to see.

You may want to look at the Connelly Draft hinge bindings, just a thought. It just came out and I haven't been on mine yet but I can't wait, I can only imagine the support. You can set them up to match the arch on your feet, just amazing concepts that we continue to see.

Those sound intriguing to me. Let us know how you like them. I've got to get new bindings for my ski this year, right now I am leaning towards animals, but I haven't made any decisions.

thanks for the input...

I'll have to look at the Connelly Draft hinge bindings. The default is going with double high-wrap HO's as they are relatively affordable, durable and readily available. I'm just not sure if i want something as 'flexible' as a Wiley?!

I'm not sure if i will tear through the capabilities of the Triumph in a summer or not? I have only skied about a dozen times a summer for the past 10 years, but anticipate skiing much more with the 'new' boat. I usually downhill ski about 20-40 days a winter and I also have (3) brothers within 15 lbs (either way) who will be using this ski.

I'll take a look at the older ASX or to the CDX...

I'm just not sure if i want something as 'flexible' as a Wiley?!

I have a Wiley's front binding and I sure wouldnt call it "flexible." If adjusted properly, the fit is comfortable, snug and very supportive. I have a regular slalom high wrap thats a few years old and I love it. If buying new, Id consider the trick wrap for just a few dollars more. On my next high end ski, I will go with Wiley's again. Im a 32-34 MPH, 22-32 off skier, riding a 10+ year old O'Brien G3 Revenge, FWIW.

I have never skied one, but I havent heard great things about the Triumph. I think the CDX is a better way to go.

Those sound intriguing to me. Let us know how you like them. I've got to get new bindings for my ski this year, right now I am leaning towards animals, but I haven't made any decisions.

Here is the best part, I can get in without any soap or lube "Dry" (getting out of my animals was "SO" hard, unless I used baby oil, but my feet would move around some) and to get out you just flip the hinge up. I have tried them on in the house and it is kind of like getting into a pair of snow ski boots, I can already tell they are going to be nice. Just have to get out........couple more weeks Yahoo.gif

Edited by 68Slalom