Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake Help

Lzy0k0

Hello, all I am new here and I just recently purchased a 1996 Sunsetter VLX. I have been doing my research and the wedge can be installed on this V23 hull. I want to help the stock wake. My question is should I put a ballast system in or should I install the wedge. What do you guys thinks?

Thanks,

Adam

Well that boat would be best if it had ballast and the wedge. The most cost effective way to get a good wake would be to purchase 3 500lb. sacks and a pump. You could put one in the ski locker, and the other two in the rear lockers. The wedge will cost about 500 for the foil and almost that much for the backing plate so it would be more expensive then just fat sacks. If you wanted to go all the way, I would install an automated 3 bag ballast system with 1500lbs and the wedge. It would give you an incredible wake, but it will also cost a bit more.

Well that boat would be best if it had ballast and the wedge. The most cost effective way to get a good wake would be to purchase 3 500lb. sacks and a pump. You could put one in the ski locker, and the other two in the rear lockers. The wedge will cost about 500 for the foil and almost that much for the backing plate so it would be more expensive then just fat sacks. If you wanted to go all the way, I would install an automated 3 bag ballast system with 1500lbs and the wedge. It would give you an incredible wake, but it will also cost a bit more.

Plus1.gif

Welcome Lzy.

I do agree with that, but I will say that you can probably get the new free floating wedge in lieu of the old fixed wedge. If I were adding a wedge to a boat, that's what I'd do. At the very least, you'll need weight up front to compliment the wedge. So if you didn't want to do the whole project at once then you could start there. But as soon as you start surfing (and you will), you'll want those rear bags.

Welcome Lzy.

I do agree with that, but I will say that you can probably get the new free floating wedge in lieu of the old fixed wedge. If I were adding a wedge to a boat, that's what I'd do. At the very least, you'll need weight up front to compliment the wedge. So if you didn't want to do the whole project at once then you could start there. But as soon as you start surfing (and you will), you'll want those rear bags.

Do you, or anyone, have any first hand information on the free floating wedge?

Edited by Cervelo
Welcome Lzy.

Not yet.

Welcome Lzy.

I took my new RLXi for its maiden voyage yesterday and checked out the new floating wedge. We didn't go riding as the water is still too cold. The wake seemed, visually, comparable to my Wedged '94 Echelon . Handling! Now there is a different story! THis new wedge didn't seem like you were dragging around an anchor and the turns were soooo smooth. It looks like with a couple of side sacks we should have a pretty decent wake.