Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lifetime Hull Warranty

LSV4kids

I recently bought a 2004 Sunscape 23LSV from shanesj. Thumbup.gif The original factory warranty is up next weekend, and I was planning to get it out for a shakedown cruise or 2 before then, but it was snowing here in OH last weekend, and today its rainy and 45 deg. So I haven't had it out yet. My intention was to see if there was any minor items that the dealer could still fix for me under warranty, not that I expect any. But what I was really wondering about was the transferrable "lifetime" hull warranty.

Usually, there are 2 reasons a company will offer a long warranty. Either the company has a bad reputation, and no one trusts their products (not the case with MB), or the product is so good that they know they will never have to fix anything under warranty, so it doesn't cost anything to offer what looks like something really valuable. So this is great for the original owner, but is it worth transferring to the next one (me)? No brainer if it was free, but the fee is something like $400, plus an inspection by the local dealer (another $100?).

Has anyone else done this? Is it worth it? Have there been any hull issues with the 2004 boats? Has anyone ever heard of a hull issue with an all glass hull Malibu?

When I bought my boat in 03 I went ahead and spent the $$$ for the hull warranty. Declined on the transfer of the remaining warrnaty on the monsoon. Haven't had issues with either. I plan on keeping my boat for a while so it made sense to me eventhough I have never had a boat with structural problems.

FYI, I have a realative high up in a bass boat company. They charge less than 100$ to transfer the hull warranty. He laughed when I told him what Bu charges.

You may want to consider exactly what the warranty covers--or not.

From the '07 manual:

What Is Covered • The Lifetime Limited Hull Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed (less a $100.00 deductible per visit at the end of the 3-Year/400-Hour Basic Limited Warranty) to repair any hull, deck, liner or stringer supplied by Malibu Boats that is structurally defective in material or workmanship. • These warranty repairs or adjustments may be made by your dealer or Malibu Boats using new or remanufactured parts. • Malibu Boats, or its authorized dealer, will repair or replace, at Malibu’s option, any boat or portion thereof proven to its satisfaction to be defective during its warranty period. Exception: The Lifetime Limited Hull Warranty does not cover the gelcoat or any other components fastened or applied to the dash, hull or deck. Gelcoat discoloration, blisters and cracks are not considered structural defects. Gelcoat,along with installed components, are warranted separately under Malibu’s “Basic Limited Boat Warranty” and “Gelcoat Limited Warranty” listed on the following page.

I don't recall hearing of any hull failures. YMMV

On a VD, I probably wouldn't spend the money. I haven't heard of any problems, ever, that would make me think it was worth it. I might on a DD because of the HDS.

I might on a DD because of the HDS.

My thinking exactly. More than one person has spent $$$ fixing the darn thing. If nothing else, its peace of mind.

My thinking exactly. More than one person has spent $$$ fixing the darn thing. If nothing else, its peace of mind.

What is HDS?

What is HDS?

Off the top of my head, I think it means hydrophonic dampening system. It's that box the shaft goes into just behind the engine. It is unique to Malibus. It was originally touted as a sound/vibration dampening device. I'm not sure if they even mention it anymore, but it is still part of every DD they build.

Thanks for the inputs so far. Like VinRLXI, I did read what was covered, and it looks like only major structural components. I do plan to keep this boat for at least 10 more years, so the cost per year would be reasonable. But then I keep thinking that there should never be any problems with the hull or stringers, if one hasn't shown up in the first 3 years. It seems like the 10+ year old boats (with wood stringers) are all holding up well, given reasonable care, so the new all composite boats should last even longer. And given the fact that we spent as much on this boat as we did on all three vehicles that currently drive COMBINED, I plan to take really good care of it.

I had heard that there was some resin changes in 2005(?) due to EPA regs that caused a few problems until the new process was sorted out, but nothing before or after that (or 2006+). Anyone ever hear about those issues?

And spent $$$ not fixing it as well.

I think you've provided the answer..."If it hasn't shown up in the first three years" it isn't going to show up.

Besides, Malibu can offer the lifetime warranty... a modern Malibu hull doesn't fail