Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

91 boat vibration

I bought my first direct drive boat and not sure how it normally feels. The ride itself is very rough almost like there is some vibration coming from somewhere. When in reverse alot of vibration. Is this a normal feel or do I have a problem? The boat is a 91 malibu euro f3 .

First things to check are the prop and the shaft.

May best be done by a professional but some props are beat up enuff to tell right away.

It doesn't take much to make a prop cause a lotta vibration.

Check out the prop group buy while yer at it

May best be done by a professional but some props are beat up enuff to tell right away.

Also on one that old you should check the strut bearing. Like Brad says, probably needs to be looked at by a pro as there are many things that can cause vibration that are not evident to the untrained eye.

Brad's right on - Prop maybe a shaft. Could be the alignment between the shaft and the transmission too. Do not run your boat if its that bad. This can cause damage to your transmission, then you are talking BIG bucks. If you are handy, read on, if not, take the boat to a dealer and have them look at it. First, get under your boat and visually inspect the prop, shaft, and the strut (the thing that the shaft runs through). Look for obvious damage - bent blades, damage to the fiberglass (indicating running aground), etc. Pull the prop (get a puller, dont try to beat it off) and take it to a repair shop. Should cost about $100. Put it back on after the repair and see if the vibration is cured. If not, then its either the shaft alignment or the shaft itself. At this point, unless you are real handy, I would take it to a boat shop. But its not really that hard to check the shaft alignment or to actully pull the shaft and have it straightened - most prop repair shops can do that too. If you want to try to diy on all of this, let us know and we/I will be happy to tell you how to do it.

Oh, welcome to the site and welcome to the wonderfull world of owning a hole in the water where all your time and money will go. Clap.gif

Edited by Gordo

Even if you find it is the prop that is causing the vibration, I would take a dial indicator and measure the straightness of the shaft. You will need a dial indicator and a magnetic stand or clamp stand to hold in place.

my 1st time in my 1999 sportster and its smooth to about 35 then when you punch it and wind it up to about 45 it to seems to vibrate is this normal also in reverse it wines alot

my 1st time in my 1999 sportster and its smooth to about 35 then when you punch it and wind it up to about 45 it to seems to vibrate is this normal also in reverse it wines alot
No vibration is "normal". No.gif

The whining in reverse is normal. Whining about your lake being frozen is also normal....(for Jack). ROFL.gif