Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Toyota Sequoia

dluttr

I'll be towing my 07 Malibu VLX with my 04 Toyota Sequoia. It pulled my 02 Sunsetter fine on the hwy and up hills, but the VLX (with trailer), is approx. 1000 lbs more. The towing capacity of the Sequoia is 6200/lbs. The boat/trailer will be approx. 4800lbs. Does anyone else have the Sequoia for towing your Wakesetter?

Any experiences pro or con?

We have an '04 landcruiser that tows a sunscape on a fairly regaulr basis. No hills to climb. Agree that it could use some more oomph, but it is a pretty torquey motor (Iassume 4.7 iforce?) and does fine. Chassis is very capable. Just don't let your nav system break, and if it does, sell truck....it's an EXTRAordinary expense!

Tow ratings are a little suspect to me. I think my 98 Durango with the 5.9L was rated at a higher tow capacity than my current 02 Sequoia, but my Sequoia pulls with just as much power as the Durango did. Add to that the extra wheelbase and the smooth ride, shifting, etc., and it is much better than the Durango. But I digress... I pull my 2004 WS 23LSV (about 6000 lbs with trailer, gear, and 500 lbs of lead) with the Sequoia and it does a great job. No big time hills to climb, but I did pull the boat 1300 miles from Kansas City to Las Vegas, hitting the 11,000 ft passes in Colorado, and the Sequoia did surprisingly well. I also towed a 7,000 pound trailer from San Antonio to Vegas, and it was slow going at times up the hills. It's no turbo diesel, but I am happy with it.

We pull our 05 VLX with a 2000 Lexus LX470 which has the same engine as your Sequoia. I think it has plenty of power to pull our boat. You can feel that you are towing a boat behind you, but considering what you get when you aren't pulling a boat, I'm very happy with this choice for a tow vehicle.

Not sure about the Sequia's gearing options, but I can throw my LX470 into low 4WD and about climb a tree with the boat behind us. (We have a very steep driveway... but the LX470 makes it a piece of cake.)

Overall I think that most of the larger SUV's with strong V8's do a pretty good job of pulling. The only down fall I see with the SUV's and I have with my Jeep Grand Cherokee is that pulling a heavier load the rear squats some. I tink that a load equalizing hitch or air bags in the rear would really help level things out.

Overall I think that most of the larger SUV's with strong V8's do a pretty good job of pulling. The only down fall I see with the SUV's and I have with my Jeep Grand Cherokee is that pulling a heavier load the rear squats some. I tink that a load equalizing hitch or air bags in the rear would really help level things out.

This is where the LX470 really excels because of its hydraulic self-adjusting suspension system...

This is where the LX470 really excels because of its hydraulic self-adjusting suspension system...

I agree...and wish I had gotten that option on my Sequoia. The truck pulls and stops well enough for me towing my Sunsetter, but it certainly squats the rear of my truck.

My next Sequoia will have the auto height adjustment suspension on it. Other than that, I've been pleased with the truck...both with and without the boat behind it.

I've thought about a Sequoia in the future. I had planned on getting one when I ended up getting the Tahoe instead. I don't even remember why I went with the Tahoe instead of the Sequoia, but I have been very happy with the Tahoe. I've had some cursory looks at the 07 Tahoes, but haven't looked at the Sequoias for the last 5 or 6 years. I sure would want it to be able to tow as well as the Tahoe.

My friends old 01-03 (not sure of the year) was gutless. We took it on a 2000+ mile road trip down to southern California and the thing had NO power in the hills. We cruised around 90ish on the flats and we were stopping all the time cause the gas tank was so small and we were chewing through it. Other then the engine, I loved the car! The ride quality and handling were great too!

i have an 04 4runner with a 6 not an 8 and i live in pgh pa. everything is a hill.lol i just picked up my boat 2 weeks ago and thought the 4runner was going to die towing it and it did it. from erie to pgh about 100miles and i was impressed. i have always owned 1 tons, and i was averaging 70's on the highway and 65 up the hills. its a vride with a tandem trailer, probably weighs around 4000lbs.

WOW, that cool. I know that you can buy aftermarket systems but I didn't know that any auto manufactures were offering it from the factory.

We just bought a '07 Sequoia and we love it. I think that Toyota underestimates the towing capacity of their vehicles. I think the Sequoia and the 4Runner (I've owned both) can tow alot more than they are rated for. It will pull your VLX just fine.

I wonder if Toyota will throw that new 5.7 litre engine that is in the Tundra into the Sequioa? If they do, then Chevy will have alot to worry about.

I wonder if Toyota will throw that new 5.7 litre engine that is in the Tundra into the Sequioa? If they do, then Chevy will have alot to worry about.

Yep, it is coming in 2008!

Sweeeetttt Clap.gif I agree with RTS, my 02 may need some updating!

Sweeeetttt Clap.gif I agree with RTS, my 02 may need some updating!

That's great news! I was wondering the same thing. I really want to stay with the Sequoia, but I want more power to tow my VLX, especially since I'll be pulling it up alot of Tennessee mountains/hills.

I'll definitely trade up to the Seqouia with the 5.7 litre next year.

Thanks for ALL your input everyone!