Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Broadcast vs Alias

Willy

Well, I need to get a board now that I have left the ranks of DD inboards and gone to the big VD. I am in the neighborhood of 175 lbs. and am 5'8'. Most of my "buds" are about the same give or take a few. The only other consideration would be my two boys (110# they want to surf and skate) I have narrowed my selection down to the Hyperlite broadcast 4.9 or 5.6 and the O'brien Alias 5.0. The main considerations to date have been cost and slimness to fit in standard board racks. Now we enter the realm of "performance"? I am looking for advice on these boards given that none of us has ever surfed before. ( we can all get up and ride a wakeboard but are all course junlkes from waaay back. P.S. The Obrien is $80.00 less than the HL.

Both of those boards are pretty awesome, the $80 difference is in the construction. The Obrien weighs considerably more, but it still rides really well.

The Phase 5 boards fit in board racks as well. They are a little more pricey than the HL and Obrien but they ride a little better as well.

I've got the Broadcast and really like it - I've got the original 4'8".

It fits in my Titan lowrider racks.

The shorter the board the harder to learn to surf ropeless on. But once you find and can hold the sweet spot, to ride without the rope you'll be advanced enough to want a smaller / shorter board. Based on your skill level this could be a couple trys or it could be all summer.

It took me a month or so to dial in the wake (bigger wake = bigger push = easier to surf ropeless) and figure it all out. It took the CFO a season, but now she can do it. The kids can just hold the rope for a while longer.

I'm glad I went with the shorter Broadcast.

Good luck!

Well, I need to get a board now that I have left the ranks of DD inboards and gone to the big VD. I am in the neighborhood of 175 lbs. and am 5'8'. Most of my "buds" are about the same give or take a few. The only other consideration would be my two boys (110# they want to surf and skate) I have narrowed my selection down to the Hyperlite broadcast 4.9 or 5.6 and the O'brien Alias 5.0. The main considerations to date have been cost and slimness to fit in standard board racks. Now we enter the realm of "performance"? I am looking for advice on these boards given that none of us has ever surfed before. ( we can all get up and ride a wakeboard but are all course junlkes from waaay back. P.S. The Obrien is $80.00 less than the HL.

I have a HL Broadcast that I would like to sell, PM me if you want it.

Ok, wish my spouse would respond as he is the avid surfer in our family but also Brad B might respond. He is our resident TX Godfather of Surf!!!

I will respond as a newbie for what I like in terms of handling and what I enjoyed. Caveat, I have not gone "ropeless" yet.

Let's see, I have ridden the following 3:

the broadcast: liked the board alot, a bit sluggish to maneuver but was able to pop up nicely

the landlock: LOVE THIS BOARD...need to find one on ebay just for me...it is old reliable. Really comfortable board and easy to move on. Very responsive to new riders

phase 5 oolge: Great all endurance sport board

Whatever you chose will be fine, if you are going to beginners, I would definitely recommend (IMO) a version of the Landlock ... not sure what that would be. You will probably buy more after your boys get addicted to surfin'! :) Have FUN and hope that helped with another perspective!

Edited by The Garslayer

Hey Willy-

What did you end up deciding upon? There were tons of good recommendations from folks...just curious what you ended up with!!!

Happy WakeSurfing!!!! Surfing.gif

I'd hafta give the edge to the Broadcast - its lighter and fits in all wakeboard racks.

But heavier boards do cruise a little better which makes them easier to learn on.

The Broadcast is a great all around board - ez to learn on and then can be easily augmented to make it an intermediate to expert board.

Hey Willy-

What did you end up deciding upon? There were tons of good recommendations from folks...just curious what you ended up with!!!

Happy WakeSurfing!!!! Surfing.gif

I ended up with a Landlock!! I really wanted a broadcast but I was at MC sports the other day and they had a new Landlock for $199.00.. I couldn't pass it up. It does however just fit in my rear port locker. I went out for a ride in Lake huron today but the water was only 52 degree's so I ended up skiing in the river here. The water was 62 degrees not bad.

Edited by Willy