Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Michigan / USA Wake Surfing Laws

Willy

I think it would be a good idea to have a copy of any wake surfing laws on my boat with me. I will need them for the state of Michigan(if any) and for US international waters (coast guard rules?) since I boat in Lake Huron. From what I can tell "WAKE SURFING" is legal but "TEAK SURFING" is not. Our sheriffs dept. here is full of "volunteers" that think they are cool because they get to carry a badge and a gun on a boat every now and then.

Thanks!!!

I think it would be a good idea to have a copy of any wake surfing laws on my boat with me. I will need them for the state of Michigan(if any) and for US international waters (coast guard rules?) since I boat in Lake Huron. From what I can tell "WAKE SURFING" is legal but "TEAK SURFING" is not. Our sheriffs dept. here is full of "volunteers" that think they are cool because they get to carry a badge and a gun on a boat every now and then.

Thanks!!!

I don't think I have ever seen anything for Wake Surfing. You can get most of the info on line. Dontknow.gif

If you find those reg's for MI post a link here......I'd like to know too. Our lake has a cop they hire over the summer months to patrol and while we haven't clashed yet I want to be prepared.

Boating safety classes are available that outline the applicable laws. Ours was done by the Oakland County Sheriff Dept. Marine Division, so your local county sheriff Marine Division should know any laws relative to your subject. Give them a call and ask the details. Usually in the spring classes are held and posted in local papers. They are the same people that give you the tickets, so they should know.

MalibuNation
Boating safety classes are available that outline the applicable laws. Ours was done by the Oakland County Sheriff Dept. Marine Division, so your local county sheriff Marine Division should know any laws relative to your subject. Give them a call and ask the details. Usually in the spring classes are held and posted in local papers. They are the same people that give you the tickets, so they should know.

I took the class and I didn't see anyting in there about wakesurfing. I'm a G'man and I work for the State of Michigan, I'll see what I can find out.

Edited by jchooper

I took the class and I didn't see anyting in there about wakesurfing. I'm a G'man and I work for the State of Michigan, I'll see what I can find out.

Well that is just it! I am wondering if there are no laws specific for or against Wake surfing. As I said in my original post, I just think it would be handy to have (if it exists) in case I run into an over compensating rent a cop.

I will keep everybody up to speed with what I find out.

in case I run into an over compensating rent a cop.

Perhaps you should have said, 'overzealous.'

'Overcompensate' implies the rent-a-cop has initial deficiencies and possibly unresolved issues regarding said deficiencies. Crazy.gif Never seen a rent-a-cop like that personally, have you? Whistling.gif

• 3 weeks later...
MalibuNation

Here's the answer I got and you might have to do some more digging on your own:

James-

I am a Michigan Conservation Officer temporarily working in Branch County with Eric Bottorff, whom you originally sent this email to. I have attached the laws that I think you and your friend will find helpful. I have also attached the website to the Michigan Legislature where these laws can be found on the internet. I hope these will answer your questions, and if you have any others, please feel free to contact me directly.

Regards,

Derek P. Miller - Michigan Conservation Officer

Michigan Legislature online (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(qakc5fepmhrj3p55rxnr2bnn))/mileg.aspx?page=home)

324.80147 Reckless operation of vessels; penalty.

Sec. 80147.

(1) If a person carelessly and heedlessly operates a vessel upon the waters of this state in disregard of the rights or safety of others, without due caution and circumspection, or at a rate of speed or in a manner that endangers or is likely to endanger a person or property, that person is guilty of reckless operation of a vessel and is subject to the penalties described in subsection (3).

(2) If a person, while being towed on water skis, a water sled, a surfboard, or a similar contrivance upon the waters of this state, carelessly and heedlessly navigates, steers, or controls himself or herself in disregard of the rights or safety of others or without due caution and circumspection and in a manner that endangers or is likely to endanger a person or property, then that person is guilty of reckless operation of the contrivance that he or she controls is subject to the penalties described in subsection (3).

(3) Upon a person's conviction under this section, the court may issue an order prohibiting that person from operating a vessel on the waters of this state for a period of not more than 2 years. Upon a person's subsequent conviction under this section, the court shall order that person to participate in and complete a marine safety educational program approved by the department. An order issued pursuant to this subsection is in addition to any other penalty authorized under this part.

324.80149 Operation of vessels in counter-clockwise fashion; distance between persons being towed and other objects; exception.

Sec. 80149.

Persons operating vessels on the waters of this state in areas not marked by well defined channels, canals, rivers, or stream courses shall operate the vessels in a counter-clockwise fashion to the extent that it is reasonably possible. These persons and persons being towed on water skis or on a water sled, kite, surfboard, or similar contrivance shall maintain a distance of 100 feet from any dock, raft, buoyed or occupied bathing area, or vessel moored or at anchor, except when the vessel is proceeding at a slow—no wake speed or when water skiers are being picked up or dropped off, if that operation is otherwise conducted with due regard to the safety of persons and property and in accordance with the laws of this state.

324.80151 Towing of persons; prohibited time; penalty.

Sec. 80151.

An operator of any vessel shall not have in tow or otherwise be assisting in the propulsion of a person on water skis or on a water sled, surfboard, or other similar contrivance during the period of 1 hour after sunset to 1 hour prior to sunrise. Any person permitting himself or herself to be towed on water skis or on a water sled, surfboard, or similar contrivance in violation of this part is guilty of a misdemeanor.

324.80152 Towing or assisting persons; exceptions; standards; rules; certification; information to be provided; specification of bodies of water for use in practice.

Sec. 80152.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not operate a vessel on the waters of this state if he or she is towing or otherwise assisting a person on water skis or on a water sled, aquaplane, surfboard, or other similar contrivance unless a person capable of communicating to the vessel operator the condition and needs of the person being towed or assisted is on board the vessel and positioned to observe the person being towed or assisted.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to vessels used by duly constituted ski schools in the giving of instructions or to vessels used in sanctioned ski tournaments, competitions, expositions, or trials. Vessels described in this subsection shall be equipped with a 170-degree wide-angle rearview mirror affixed in a manner that will permit the operator to observe the progress of the person being towed.

(3) This section does not apply to motorboats less than 16 feet in length actually operated by the person being towed and so constructed as to be incapable of carrying the operator in or on the motorboat.

(4) Subsection (1) does not apply to a vessel operator who is towing a person preparing for a specific water ski tournament if all of the following conditions are met:

(a) The vessel operator is certified as provided in subsection (5).

(B) The person being towed is certified as provided in subsection (6).

© Towing is conducted so that, on average, not more than 1 vessel approaches within 300 feet of the towing vessel during any 5-minute period.

(d) The vessel is equipped with all of the following:

(i) A center-mounted tow pylon.

(ii) A large clear rearview mirror capable of allowing the vessel operator to distinguish hand signals at a distance of 75 feet.

(iii) Markings that identify the vessel as a vessel that is being operated in conformance with this subsection.

(5) The department shall adopt standards for water ski tournament boat operation established by U.S.A. water ski in “Trained Boat Driver Program”, April 1997, and by the American water ski association in “Drivers' Policy Manual”. However, the department may promulgate rules providing for alternative standards under the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.201 to 24.328. The department shall certify each individual who satisfies the standards described in this subsection as a tournament water ski vessel operator and issue proof of that certification to the individual.

(6) The department shall adopt standards for tournament water skiers established by the Michigan water ski association in “Guidelines for Training Permit Eligibility”, proposed revision 125 of 1996. However, the department may promulgate rules providing for alternative standards under the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.201 to 24.328. The department shall certify each individual who satisfies the standards described in this subsection as a tournament water skier and issue proof of that certification to the individual.

(7) The Michigan water ski association shall provide annually to the department and the Michigan sheriffs association both of the following:

(a) A list of the individuals whom the organization considers qualified for tournament water skiing.

(B) The names of not more than 3 bodies of water on which each of those individuals may be authorized to practice for tournament water skiing.

(8) The department shall specify the body or bodies of water upon which a water skier may practice upon each certificate issued under subsection (6).