Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1235 Prop Performance

eubanks

So there seems to be some debate on about this prop and the similar 14.25 x 14 OJ prop on our local forum. Some seem to think that there are a bunch of negative's assocaited with reproping such as higher rpm's, worsened fuel economy, much lower top end speed, extra strain on your engine, etc.

Could someone here give specific findings of measured fuel consumption differences and measured top end difference? If I can plane alright with my stock prop and 3K in ballast then why would I need one of these "wakeboarding" props? Thanks!

http://www.dallaswakeboarding.com/index.ph...p;p=82136#82136

Didn't look like a lot of experiance in that discusson.. what kinda boat did that guy have that went 45mph.. probably not using GPS to measure his speed.. reproping isn't going to take him down to 30mph..

Going to a lower prop will lower the stress on the engine, if change anything at all, as far as stress goes. Gas mileage will suffer a little - but not significant, and top end may take a 1-2mph hit... that depends on where you start and if you can get to the rev limiter with that prop... if you're starting with a big prop, and you can't get the top end RPM, then reproping may not cost you any top end at all

This is coming from the old noggin from last year when we went from an 537 to the 1235 on our 05 vlx

Speed best ever empty and two people in the boat and littel fuel 45.6-- but with regular crew, fuel etc typically saw 43.3-43.8 range. Switch to the 1235 with 4 people and a full tank of gas hit 41.7 on the GPS.

As far as wakeboarding the boat gets out of the hole much better in all situations, weight wise. The prop actually dropped our running rpm by about 350 rpms while wakeboarding. I cannot remember the exact numbers in this area.

As for fuel usage I have absolutely no idea.

I just got a new 1235 in yesterday.

I'll be changing from a 537 on a '03 WS23 LSV with Monsoon 335.

The 537 has done fine for us except when we are totally weighted and full crew.

And we replaced the 440s in the trunks to 750s.

And I needed a spare prop anyway.

I'm thinking this is gonna be the just right prop for us.

Brad... you will notice the difference.

I truly like ours... IMHO if the 1235 betters your experience on the water, I could care less about the small impacts that are speculated.

I’m no expert at this prop thing but can shed a little light I feel. Now this is only M2C and from what I have read or heard.

Fist off lets get the specs out.

Acme 1235 14.5 Dia 14.25 pitch .130 cup

OJ #468 - 14.25 Dia 14 pitch .110 CUP

OJ#475 - 14.25 Dia 14.5 pitch .090 CUP

The ACME 1235 and OJ 475 are just about the same from what I know and the 468 will give you even lower end torque with less top end speed.

One thing I like about the OJ props are the fact that you have 2 chooses in props to see what’s best for your needs.

When your talking about any one of these props you are saying, my boat is being used for wakeboarding and surfing mostly, with extra weight and or a larger (lsv, 247) boat. If your wanting to foot, go fast across the lake with the hammer down, slalom ski then don’t change over to the larger props. “once again JM2C” The biggest problem is when some one wants to go from footing, to throwing in 3000 ballast in the boat for surfing and wants it to run like the pros with just one prop. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Sorry.

When you change over to a wakeboard prop you will-

• Lose some top end 1-3 mph
  • Use some extra gas. I have heard from vary little, up to 1 gal more per hr on some of the large boats that run hard and sac up heavy.
  • As mentioned, run a little higher RPMS and will also put you a little closer to the rev limiter line. If you are running up against the limiter you should change to a higher pitch prop ASAP.
  • Put a lot less strain on your engine when pulling up boarding or surfing. I feel it lets your engine run in “the sweet power band area”
  • Put you on plain sooner.
  • Hold speed better
  • Have great hole shot even if your like some of those Crazy.gif Texan’s that like to fat up their boat with a few fat guys, sling hanging off the side and 2000-3000 in ballast. Thumbup.gif
  • Help if your under powered. Say you have a LSV with the monsoon 335 or a 247 with the hammerhead.
  • Help if your running in high altitude’s.

I’m sure there are some more things that I can come up with and will add them to this list. I agree with Romi

IMHO if the 1235 betters your experience on the water, I could care less about the small impacts that are speculated.

Some things people need to think about before changing props.

• What prop do I have now?
  • How do I like my current prop?
  • What am I looking to accomplish?
  • What water sports will I be using the boat for mostly?
  • How much weight will I be putting in the boat?
  • Do I need to all my top end speed?

Brad... you will notice the difference.

I truly like ours... IMHO if the 1235 betters your experience on the water, I could care less about the small impacts that are speculated.

Totally agree with Romi!

Eubanks, I weight my LSV with around the same amount that you do and don't use the wedge unless surfing. You will notice a night and day difference between the 1235 and the 537. Tons better hole shot, holds speed better, and less of a rooster tail are just a few of the good points.

:lol: Please try to keep up. :lol:

Hey, how'd you possibly let D's spelling errors slide??? Crazy.gif

He's trying to be Innocent.gif but now that lent is over I'm sure I will be in for some Bash.gif

Birm PM me with what your looking for.

:lol: Please try to keep up. :lol:

Hey, how'd you possibly let D's spelling errors slide??? Crazy.gif

He's trying to be Innocent.gif but now that lent is over I'm sure I will be in for some Bash.gif

Yup, watch out. :lol:

Just the info I needed. Sounds like I can add the 1235, remove the rev limiter, and all my fat texas friends Crazy.gif can hop in. Then its time to rock and roll Rockon.gif

I hope I'm not too late. We upgraded from the stock 537 in an '06 vlx to the 1235 after having problems getting out of the hole and lots of high siding when turning around.

We no longer have high siding issues even when loaded down with 3000lbs of ballast (we dont' run with the wedge often at all).

It gets out of the hole faster and has no troubles maintaining a constant speed.

Also, we seem to turn less RPMS at wakeboard speeds now, not much, but it's not more like some people like to claim "Theoretically should happen".

We lost a couple of MPH off the top end but we never foot behind our boat and that's about the only time I can see needing to go that fast.

Love that prop, best money spent on the boat yet

Thanks for the feedback Dizzy. I'm still torn between the Acme 1235 and the OJ's 475 and 468. Whatever way I go it sounds like my wakeboarding driving and riding experience will be improved! Thumbup.gif

I hope I'm not too late. We upgraded from the stock 537 in an '06 vlx to the 1235 after having problems getting out of the hole and lots of high siding when turning around.
If you don't do power turns you won't have high siding issues. Fingerwag.gif

Norcal, you see the high siding when turning double ups which in some areas require tight turns, also where we ride turning at the end of coves, etc.

Norcal, you see the high siding when turning double ups which in some areas require tight turns, also where we ride turning at the end of coves, etc.
:Doh: Skiers Mentality... :blush: ...sorry. :)

Don't go accusing me of power turning, that's not what was happening. We ride in a bay that can be a tight turn at the end to turn and go back down the bay. If there was another boat around that area and you had to turn tighter, it was a huge issue. Once you were in that state you either slowed down/stopped or hoped you made it out without hitting the other boat.

Not during power turns.