Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Board Storage Racks

Birm

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jshap

• SacRiverRat

• obski

• CedarLakeSkier

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That looks great! I didn't use the putty, but the adhesive + screw made it rock solid. Glad you got it done. I love the extra racks too. I wish I had the higher ceilings.

• 2 weeks later...
Here are the racks completed:

Very Nice Obski! I finally got around to mine. I took the simple approach with black abs piping. Here it is:

IMG_4071.jpg

• 8 months later...
Hi everyone, been a while since I posted. This is a very timely topic though, since I finally built a new set of PVC racks for the garage (left my old set in my last house when we moved).

Basically, I spent about $10 (if that) on 3/4 inch, schedule 40 PVC and fittings.

Here are the exact components I used to construct a 5 tier rack:

- 10 - 45 degree fittings

- 18 - T fittings

- 14 - 90 degree fittings

- 22 - 3 inch pieces of 3/4" PVC

- 21 - 12 inch pieces of 3/4" PVC

- 4 - 3/4" pipe straps

- 8 - 3" screws

- Standard PVC cement (thanks jshap!)

- Standard PVC cleaner (thanks jshap!)

All measurements can be adjusted. Frankly, if I ever decide to redo this rack, I may build it with two "forks" per tier so I can have one board up and one down on each tier, although each could easily accomodate two boards stacked in this manner.

I've included some pictures. If anyone would prefer a drawing, let me know.

JZ

I'd love a plan drawing of your racks if you ever made one. Those look perfect. I printed out your supplies and I'll pick those up today. How are they working out? thanks

Billy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Crew-

After years of procrastination I finally got around to making some storage racks for the skis and wakeboards. After doing a bit of research and borrowing from different racks that I found online I decided to make my racks all out of wood. The details are as follows:

• Uprights are 2 x 4's ripped in half to yield a 2 x 1 3/4, length is based on whatever you want the racks to be.
  • Pegs are 1 1/8 dowels, cut 16" long. End of dowel rounded over using a 1/2" round over router bit.
  • Holes in the uprights are drilled with 1 1/8" bit at a 15 degree angle.
  • Pegs are spaced 16" o.c., this is the distance that allowed be to fit wakeboards with a little bit of extra vertical space.

I made 3 pairs of these and painted them in about 4 hours total. Not much money spent and overall a reasonable rack to help out storage. Thought I would share with the crew in case anyone could benefit from various ideas at some point.

post-1009-1205799232_thumb.jpg post-1009-1205799363_thumb.jpg

Here's the racks my 13 year old son made. First use of power tools project Yahoo.gif

He's wasn't so keen on the painting phase though :lol:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s288/uk...le/DSC01558.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s288/uk...le/DSC01557.jpg

and a pic of our butiful bu.....I still think it's the best looking 02 RLX however I probably biassed Drool.gif

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s288/uk...kehoodglass.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s288/uk...le/DSC00387.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s288/uk...le/DSC01562.jpg

what kind of cover is that??

quote]

what kind of cover is that??

Locally made. Heavy weight canvas with fleece inside at all contact points. Pricey but great protection & fully towable. The New Zealand Malibu dealer always specs these.

• 8 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I found it in my search for a wakeboard rack for my shed. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the pictures and ideas. I just finished my 5 board rack and it turned out great. I used 3/4" pvc similar to WakeAndSno's plan Thumbup.gif , but just a little different and used foam pipe covering like you use to keep pipes from freezing to keep from scratching the boards.

Wow. I am amazed at how clean everyone's garage is. Is mine the only one jam packed with crap? Two cars, boat, snow skis, freezer, work bench, boards and waterskis, camping gear, painting stuff, tools, golf clubs, 6 bikes, ping pong table, air compressor, floor jack... blah blah etc. ad nauseum. My ski rack is built in front of the window, since it has blinds on it and they don't get opened, boards hang upside down from the ceiling.