Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Board Storage Racks

Birm

Just wondering what ingenius designs everyone has come up with for storing their boards in the garage. I'm going to build some racks (aka 2x4's at a 45 degree angle off the wall) and wanted to see some pics of yours. I was also thinking that I could build a rack that hung from the garage ceiling on pulleys so that I could lower it and raise it. What have you all done?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jshap

• SacRiverRat

• obski

• CedarLakeSkier

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just wondering what ingenius designs everyone has come up with for storing their boards in the garage. I'm going to build some racks (aka 2x4's at a 45 degree angle off the wall) and wanted to see some pics of yours. I was also thinking that I could build a rack that hung from the garage ceiling on pulleys so that I could lower it and raise it. What have you all done?

1" pvc pipe with 45` t-connectors

I had a section of my garage that wasn't wide enough for my boards with the car parked there, so I used coat hooks and bungy cords to mount my 2 boards and 2 ski's on the wall. Great if you don't have lots of space. Also kinda looks like real nice art on the wall. Crazy.gif

I can take pics if anyone's interested.

--Robert

Used 2x4's and closet rods inserted at angles.. nice & clean, very solid

What kind of equipment did you use to drill a big hole like that at that angle. I don't think it was with a hand-held drill, they look a little to "exact" for that.

I imagine you could use a protractor or one of those big metal angles and a hole saw on your drill. It might not be exact, buy you could get pretty close.

That's a really cool setup, Troy. I need to come up with some good watersports organization for my recently remodeled garage. This is a good start! Thumbup.gif

What kind of equipment did you use to drill a big hole like that at that angle. I don't think it was with a hand-held drill, they look a little to "exact" for that.

Yes, that was definitely the trickiest part of the deal. Used a drill-press with a improptu jig to hold the 2x4 at the desired angle, so we could simply slide it down to the next hole (had to drill from the backside on a few of them due to clearance issues with the floor) Used a hole saw... I believe we modified the angle, a little less steep, so that the saw part and the center drill part of the hole saw would strike the 2x4 at the same time, so it wouldn't "walk".

the closet rods are pre-fit in, they were nice and snug, and we just sanded off the corner of the rod that stuck out the back

Yes, that was definitely the trickiest part of the deal. Used a drill-press with a improptu jig to hold the 2x4 at the desired angle, so we could simply slide it down to the next hole (had to drill from the backside on a few of them due to clearance issues with the floor) Used a hole saw... I believe we modified the angle, a little less steep, so that the saw part and the center drill part of the hole saw would strike the 2x4 at the same time, so it wouldn't "walk".

the closet rods are pre-fit in, they were nice and snug, and we just sanded off the corner of the rod that stuck out the back

I did a similar thing without a drill-press. I used my hand drill and a home-made jig that I cut out of another 2x4. I just place the "jig" on the board that I was drilling and held the top of the drill against the jig to have the same angle on each hole. It looks much like Rat's. I need to make another one, as I have the first filled up beyond capacity.

I also did the ol' 2x4 and closet rod deal, but used 4x4 instead of 2x4. For the angle drill I just used a couple of pieces of floorboard nailed together at a 45d angle. Then used the ol' eyeball system. Turned out ok but sacriverrat and mrothwell's system sounded a bit more acurate.

a kneeboard Crazy.gif

Kids dude.. Crazy.gif

Yeah, like stewart said: A kneeboard? That's crazy! Tease.gif

flyhigh.jpg

post-705-1176219710_thumb.jpg I used PVC. It might be a bit over engineered.

That looks sweet too! Did you fill in the ends of the PVC pipe with something? It looks like they are filled in somehow.

post-705-1176219710_thumb.jpg I used PVC. It might be a bit over engineered.

That looks sweet too! Did you fill in the ends of the PVC pipe with something? It looks like they are filled in somehow.

Ya I filled the ends with expanding foam before I cut the angles. Also put some rubber gasket material on the tops of the PVC for the boards to sit on.

• 3 weeks later...

SacRiverRat,

I'm going to try to make one of these, but my boards and skis are 160 miles away.

I was wondering

• How long are the closet rods
  • What is the approximate distance from rod-to-rod to allow room for bindings
  • If you had to guess, what it the angle the rod is at (15 to 20 degrees up from parallel to ground?)

Thanks

SacRiverRat,

I'm going to try to make one of these, but my boards and skis are 160 miles away.

I was wondering

• How long are the closet rods
  • What is the approximate distance from rod-to-rod to allow room for bindings
  • If you had to guess, what it the angle the rod is at (15 to 20 degrees up from parallel to ground?)

Thanks

Let me call upon my trusty assistant... (if she's listening Whistling.gif )

0923vanna.jpg

Maybe she can measure the thing.. I can tell you, for the angle, we used a hole saw, and set the angle at point in which the dril part strikes the wood at the same time the saw part strikes the wood... that gave us the best stability for the holes

We used two different distances.. closer together for up-top where we put the surfboards etc.. where binding clearance wasn't needed. As for distance apart - 16" on center Biggrin.gif (lines up with the studs for easy mounting)

Let me call upon my trusty assistant... (if she's listening Whistling.gif )

0923vanna.jpg

Maybe she can measure the thing.. I can tell you, for the angle, we used a hole saw, and set the angle at point in which the dril part strikes the wood at the same time the saw part strikes the wood... that gave us the best stability for the holes

We used two different distances.. closer together for up-top where we put the surfboards etc.. where binding clearance wasn't needed. As for distance apart - 16" on center Biggrin.gif (lines up with the studs for easy mounting)

Sac...

You can just have you're assistant call me directly Whistling.gif

Thanks for the info