Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help Troubleshooting Depth Gauge Problem

Had the Bu out this last week and the depth gauge is not working. Can anyone give me some troubleshooting tips? It sits there blinking away reading 0.5 feet. I can turn the Perko switch off and it will sometimes power back up to another number (like 6.5), still blinking away. Is it the transducer?

Edited by Gordo
Had the Bu out this last week and the depth gauge is not working. Can anyone give me some troubleshooting tips? It sits there blinking away reading 0.5 feet. I can turn the Perko switch off and it will sometimes power back up to another number (like 6.5), still blinking away. Is it the transducer?

Last time I had a similar problem was one of my connections on the back of the gauge was loose. Not sure how often transducers go bad, but could be that. Dontknow.gif

You can call the manufacturer, generally they are pretty helpful.

i have the same issue with my '00 response. when i called lowrance, they were really helpful (sic), they said it was either the transducer or the guage (thanks, I had that same 50% chance). they told me to send the guage in, along with $50, and they would check it out. if the guage was broken, i would owe them nothing. if it was the transducer, i would have to buy a new one. i said no thanks, i have seen the whole system on ebay for $50....

i may redo it this year, but I can live with it, since i use my boat only on my lake, wihich i know pretty well.

this may not apply to you, if you don't have the single guage setup...

i have the same issue with my '00 response. when i called lowrance, they were really helpful (sic), they said it was either the transducer or the guage (thanks, I had that same 50% chance). they told me to send the guage in, along with $50, and they would check it out. if the guage was broken, i would owe them nothing. if it was the transducer, i would have to buy a new one. i said no thanks, i have seen the whole system on ebay for $50....

i may redo it this year, but I can live with it, since i use my boat only on my lake, wihich i know pretty well.

this may not apply to you, if you don't have the single guage setup...

My depth gauge is built into my speedo/tach - I have to toggle through to get time, temp (water/air) and depth. Guess I will take the simple way and check all the connections there and in the transducer. If that does not work I will hit it a few times - maybe that will work Rockon.gif

Bringing this back to the top - - - am headed back to the lake/boat this weekend and am still looking for troubleshoorting tips.