Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Metcraft (Illusion X) Surfboard/Foil Rack

Useless_Male

I need racks to hold my foil and a fat surf board. Metcraft offers these products. Basically they are the same thing, a single place wide mouth rack that can hold a surf board (or foil's board) and an arm to hold the foil.

By design, to hold a foil you put the rack in lower position and the support arm in the upper position.

In the catalog the rack design appears identical to the "Standard Wakeboard Rack" which has a tilt adjustment. I had TSS call them to ensure that was the fact. After a 5 min call, Metcraft appeared confused... no answer was immediately forthcoming. So based on appearance from the catalog (there are no descriptions) I purchased 2 racks and one foil support.

That was 6 weeks ago. TSS has been on them regularly... The box showed up to them yesterday with a RUSH note on it!!!

I got it today.. unopened by Tommy's. The racks look nice... but. They do not have any tilt adjustment. One rack cannot go on in either position with my batracks and be usable.

They completely failed to send me the foil support arm so I have no idea if it will work.

And (insult to injury) my fat surfboard a NSP 6'0" is too fat to put in the rack.. Frustrated.gif

Needless to say I am frustrated. I've been sitting around trying to figure what to do:

1. 1 rack must go back...

2. If foil arm comes and is good that may stay.

3. Maybe I should get a Metcraft standard rack to go in the top position on the other side.. so I can atleast carry a landlock, 3 wakeboards, and the foil.

4. Maybe I should find someone who wants to buy an Illusion X tower!!!!

There.. now I have vented. Buyer beware.

FYI:

I got a pm from Metcraft with a phone number and a point of contact to talk about the problem.

I think that is so cool... just the fact that they are watching the board and desire to resolve.

I'll keep you all posted.

I'm certain that the people at Metcraft will do their best to make everything right.

The fact is, the illusionX tower is such an innovation - you'd have to expect that because its not a simple as a tube, like other towers, that it also takes tons of creativity, inginuity, and again, innovation to make accessories that work for the tower, not to mention both in form and function.

Keep in mind, too, that because they are an OEM manufacturer and not a retailer themselves that they are one place removed from the channel and that alot of feedback they get is limited to what they here from Malibu and the limited feedback they may get from the Malibu dealer network.

I have had the opportunity of speaking with the owner, Bob - he was a top notch guy and very interested in customer satisfaction and the feedback that the end users have.

Hopefully with the help of their user base and feedback from people like us here at the Malibu Crew, they will continue to develop new, and even more stellar products.

Thumbup.gif

JZ

All FYI...

I was down at my local bu shop, and just next door is a new company called lightning wakeboard tower & accessories. (no affiliation at all) They fabricate board racks for the illusion X. Maybe they can/will fab a foil rack.

link to website (just another option)

I'm still shopping for my own board racks now.

hey:

I just off the phone with Bob at Metcraft. He gave me 20 minutes of his time. I found him to be very straight forward and interested both in customer satisfaction and the utility/usability of his tower and racks. He wakeboards and foils. :)

Important things I learned:

1. Originally there was only one mounting position for racks on the tower. At Malibu's request to raise the mounting position they located another place to mount the racks, and instead of getting rid of the first set of holes left them to give more options to each user.

2. The tower currently has only the two existing locations that a rack can be mounted. I think for structural reasons...

3. The adjustable standard wakeboard rack is not chrome. When chromed, there were problems with it slipping.

4. They currently have a new product perhaps series of products in prototype that will allow for top and bottom rack usage.

5. The next gen rack will be even cooler. They will be able to swing away, and be replaceable... ie you could swap a surfboard rack for a wakeboard rack on one side of the boat.

That's what I remember.

I would like to say that my 1st post on this thread when read days later sounds pretty whiny... :blush: . I hate when I do that.

I'm sure Bob will read this, so if I have mis-represented or mis-understood please throw in! Thank you again.

I spoke with Bob last week as well. I got some new rubber for my rack.

I asked him about mounting 2 racks on one side, and he said the same thing as Usefull Male.

They are experimenting with a different angle rack so you can have w racks on one side.

• 6 months later...

Your local dealer should have a pic of the Metcraft rack. I think my dealer had a picture in a brochure.

Out of all the foil racks I have seen on the market for the Illusion X, I am most impressed by the swing in set up Comptech offers. Even though it is a little $$$.

Edited by live4the_extreme
Your local dealer should have a pic of the Metcraft rack.  I think my dealer had a picture in a brochure.

Out of all the foil racks I have seen on the market for the Illusion X, I am most impressed by the swing in set up Comptech offers.  Even though it is a little $$$.

I saw the rack in the brochure the dealer had but I was wondering if anyone had a photo of it installed and in use?

The photo in the brochure is of the rack by itself.