Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water Temps

INTChamp

O.k, so me and my boys went to the lake last Monday after work. Air temp was 82. Today, Saturday, the air temp is 25. Good grief. Typical Tennessee weather. Anyhoo, I think my air and water temp gauges are reading @ 5 degrees warmer than actual. Is this something I can adjust, or is it a dealer fix issue? Still under warranty of course, but I am a DIY if it's no big deal. ROFL.gif

Your air temp may be a little off. Unless they've changed the way they do it, they just use the same bi-metallic sensor that's used for the water temp. They just locate it under the dash for the air temp. But your water temp should be pretty close. I use a plain old pool thermometer to check the accuracy of my water temp gage and it was right on. You'd have to check with your dealer to see if there's anything they can do to adjust any inaccuracies.

My sensor is near enough to the engine bay that it sends the water temp up when engine is hot and boat not moving. Air temp is nearly useless if the sun is out due to location.

My sensor is near enough to the engine bay that it sends the water temp up when engine is hot and boat not moving. Air temp is nearly useless if the sun is out due to location.

Both of my sensors are also useless after 10 min of running. It's a shame Malibu couldn't have designed them better. I've considered moving the under dash air sensor--anyone know if it can just be lengthened?

Now my '98 Bu's water temp works like a champ and I enjoy having it. It is a thru hull sensor.

I talked to my dealer today. He didn't give me much hope for a cure. He did say he would call the factory and make sure, but he doesn't think you can do much about it. Oh well.

we try to check ours from time to time and it has never been off by more than one degree. although there is no thermometer that works better than just pushing an unexpecting friend in to find out whether or not it is cold. Whistling.gif