Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeskate or Wakesurf?

MalibuBuzz

Can someone explain what the difference between a wakeskate and a wakesurf board is? Which is recommended for the beginner? Also what brand is best for the beginner?

What does the beginner want to do?... wakesurf or wakeskate? Dontknow.gif

Wakesurfing is.. ah.. surfing on the wake

Wakeskating is pretty much wakeboarding w/out bindings (simply speaking).. like skateboarding

Wakeskating - riding the wake at a similar distance as wakeboarding. Skateboard type feel.

Wakesurfing - riding a weight induced wake at a close proximity. Slower speed. Surfing feel.

wakeskating - long rope (60ft plus), speed 16-23 mph

wakesurfing - no rope, speed 9-13 mph, passengers in the boat close enuff to heckle rider and provide beer bong

Recommend all watersports for beginner - you just never know what their niche is - slalom, wakeboard, wakeskate, wakesurf

Edited by Brad B
Can someone explain what the difference between a wakeskate and a wakesurf board is? Which is recommended for the beginner? Also what brand is best for the beginner?

Just to add to this question, I bought a new Malibu, and I was wondering thats the difference between and dd and a vd? Crazy.gif J/k TNN WVLX :) You already have your answer to your question of the difference, but as for which board/brand? For wakeskate I would look at something cheap cause IMO they are all pretty much the same unless your really good at it. They can be found new for under $100. Surf boards depending on your average rider size (weight) and your wake size (shouldn't be a problem with an 07 VLX). Liquid Force, Phase 5, Hyperlite, etc... all make good boards just get one that fits you and your family. I would also recommend getting a wakesurf specific rope. They aren't very expensive and they are about 15' long with a very small handle so your arms/legs/head don't get caught in it if you fall.