Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First Board/New Boarder

LS1boarder

Ok, so I'm planning to learn how to wakeboard this season. I am online right now trying to buy my first board, and I realized that I know absolutely nothing about them. I went to dwcboardshop.com and they have some closeout boards. The one I'm looking at in the Hyperlite Era L7 with bindings. Is this a good board? I'm looking at something that I can learn on, but won't grow out of too quickly. I am 5'9" and weigh 160 lbs. What do you guys think?

Here is the board...

http://boardersmall.com/xcart/product.php?...=280&page=3

Thanks!

I got a closeout Era (142) at the beginning of last season. I really like it. It's probably not the most forgiving board, but isn't harsh. If you search from last spring, someone else from the Atlanta area (Headhunter I believe) also liked their new era. It's a three stage board, tracks well & has decent pop. You won't grow out of it too quickly, if at all. That's a pretty good deal for the board & bindings. I used my old bindings on the board so I can't comment on the Era bindings.

Thank you for the info! What size should I consider? I found the same board on Ebay and I can choose from several sizes for a little more money. The one on boardersmall.com is a 137. I weigh about 160-165.

It's a personal preference, but the 137 should be good for you. Per the Hyperlite site, the 132 is good up to 160, the 137 is good up to 175.

The 137 is the recommended board for you at 165 and will give you some room to 'grow'. It should also be a little easier to ride while you're learning or at slower speeds.

I'm on the 142 @ 240.

Edit: Here's the thread I mentioned before... Era Thread from last spring.

Edited by weinrdog

Sweet! You've been very helpful! Thanks a ton! I think I might do it, a little hesitant since I've never even tried wakeboarding. Oh well, I buy everything on impulse.

Rockon.gif If possible, pick up one of the instructional videos. It should make the learning process easier & much less painful. Thumbup.gif

Edit: I've got The Book (all 5 DVDs) and really like it. I haven't watched any of the others, so I can't make any other recommendations.

Edited by weinrdog

That's funny! I just ordered "The Book" from Amazon yesterday. Now I just gotta put a DVD player in the boat, or just bring my laptop so that I don't forget the things it tells me to do.

Rockon.gif

That's funny! I just ordered "The Book" from Amazon yesterday. Now I just gotta put a DVD player in the boat, or just bring my laptop so that I don't forget the things it tells me to do.
You can get a 7" screen DVD player at Costco for ~ $100. Thumbup.gif Comes with a 12V adaptor. :)

I'm not sure if you have bought anything yet, I would also take a look at the Hyperlite Motive. It is the board that I learned on and lasted me for a long time. It has a continuous rocker which I personally think is better to learn on than a 3 stage because it doesn't give you as an abrubt pop and also lands softer. Again that is all opinion.

i'm not sure where you are located but the best advice I could give you is find a shop that lets you demo boards. Some people may hate a board while others will love. It is a huge matter of personal preference.

Also great buy on The Book. It is a pretty boring DVD but it is packed with great information. I have them loaded onto my ipod so I can do quick refreshers on the boat if I need it.