Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 VLX with LS7 motor

catalac

Buddy of mine had a few drinks with a Malibu employee who said there will be an option to put the 500hp LS7 Corvette Z06 motor in the 2008 VLX.

I hate rumors but this one would be cool.

Buddy of mine had a few drinks with a Malibu employee who said there will be an option to put the 500hp LS7 Corvette Z06 motor in the 2008 VLX.

I hate rumors but this one would be cool.

That would be awesome if it were true. Whats the ft.lbs. of torque on that motor?

MalibuNation

A buddy of mine was trying to get one for his 2007 Response LXi SE, but Malibu just couldn't get all the bugs worked out ... tons of torque.

I would be shocked if they put the LS7 in a boat. However, very good customer of mine sent his LS2 corvette out to SLP Performance and now the car is supposed to make 500hp to the wheels. I would think a tweaked LS2 might be a better option just because of drysump vs. wetsump oiling systems.

That LS2 doesn't make any more power than the HH does now. It might in a marine version but would it be enough of an upgrade for malibu to market.

That would be cool but the 15 grand up charge for that motor would be hard to handle!!

Exactly why they scrapped a similar plan that they had for 2007.

Along with lack of availablitlity was what I was told. Overkill, but that is just my $.2.

Edited by Madmanacrossthewater
That would be cool but the 15 grand up charge for that motor would be hard to handle!!

Exactly why they scrapped a similar plan that they had for 2007.

Along with lack of availablitlity was what I was told. Overkill, but that is just my $.2.

Speaking if upcharge... I can't remember but what was the upcharge on the 2007 Sliver edition VLX?

Was it a sucsessful model this year?

That LS2 doesn't make any more power than the HH does now. It might in a marine version but would it be enough of an upgrade for malibu to market.

From what they say, the LS2 is a fairly mild motor and with some mild mods can make in excess of 500hp. Mastercraft is already using the LY6, out of the truckline, and that motor makes 367hp in the trucks vs. 400hp in the boats. The LY6 might be a better option as it has less compression and can be run on a lower grade fuel.

I know if my motor goes kaput on me I will probably build a mild big inch small block, it won't be a 383, more along the lines of 415 to 421 inches.

Haven't been in a boat with the HH or the new LY6...did have two people tell me that the HH is not that good down low but awesome in the mid range on up.

I would take an HH though if I were given the option considering I have the measly 320 lcr.

Edited by johnsvt
Haven't been in a boat with the HH or the new LY6...did have two people tell me that the HH is not that good down low but awesome in the mid range on up.

I would take an HH though if I were given the option considering I have the measly 320 lcr.

They were probably talking about the old Hammerhead (350ci). That was a pretty common comment about that motor, mainly because it was true. :) The 383 is a whole 'nother ballgame though. Thumbup.gif Another problem is that the factory has been sending boats equipped with the 383 out with really big props, so it's not a good comparison. Propped correctly, the 383 is a stump puller.

• 6 months later...

They were probably talking about the old Hammerhead (350ci). That was a pretty common comment about that motor, mainly because it was true. :) The 383 is a whole 'nother ballgame though. Thumbup.gif Another problem is that the factory has been sending boats equipped with the 383 out with really big props, so it's not a good comparison. Propped correctly, the 383 is a stump puller.

How would you prop it. I put a 4 blade OJ on mine, and still can't get a good hole shot.

I agree... I have had both the old and new HH and both were propped incorrectly. Once they were correctly propped there was still no comparison. The old HH was great on top end. The new HH is just bad a** all the way around!!!

How would you prop it. I put a 4 blade OJ on mine, and still can't get a good hole shot.

Which OJ and what elevation are you at?

Which OJ and what elevation are you at?

The prop is the OJ 4 blade 12.5x13x1 1/8 OJ XMP CNC. The elevation is rougly 4500'. I swear that my '05 with the Monsoon pulls harder than the HH and I'm really bummed about it.

In the street version of the LS7 GM requires 91 octane fuel which would probably be the same for the marine version. Something to note to is the fact that the 8.1 liter still has more torque at 503 ft-lbs verses the 475 ft-lbs for the LS7.