Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Long distance boat sale

Malibuman

Okay, I have three serious buyers and am looking for advice on how to conduct the long distance transaction. One is in Washington and one in California, other in Ga. The West coasters cause the most concern. Any experience with escrow transaction? I am sure they want to be certain of boat arrival and I want to be sure of money in the bank before shipping, etc. With all the bad deals that go around I want to be SURE that we are all happy and nobody gets burned. Thanks! Dontknow.gif p.s. know any shippers?

Can your dealer help with escrow recomendations or transport suggestions? It may be worth some commission rather than risking some of the issues you mentioned.

For what it is worth... when I bought mine, a friend and I drove from Ohio to NC, inspected the boat, water tested it (the engine had already been diagnosed by Malibu cert mechanic), bought it and trailored it back. Took two full days of "all boat, all the time", but didn't have either issue to contend with. I did get a couple of transport quotes but for the $$$ and not having seen the boat personally, I felt good about the way I ended up doing it.

Okay, I have three serious buyers and am looking for advice on how to conduct the long distance transaction. One is in Washington and one in California, other in Ga. The West coasters cause the most concern. Any experience with escrow transaction? I am sure they want to be certain of boat arrival and I want to be sure of money in the bank before shipping, etc. With all the bad deals that go around I want to be SURE that we are all happy and nobody gets burned. Thanks! Dontknow.gif p.s. know any shippers?
Edited by Bill W

Not saying bad things never happen with boat deals, but I have bought 3 boats now over long distance and sold 2. They have all turned out great. IMHO most people buying and selling tournament boats aren't the type of people looking to screw someone over. Just take the great members of this forum. I don't personally know anyone (yet) but everyone is great and always offers as much help as they can. Just my .02

I sold one to a guy in VA. My dealer in Dallas handled the paperwork for me and the boat inspection for the buyer. I met him half way in Nashville with the boat. We did the exchange there and the Wife and I spent the rest of the weekend enjoying Nashville.

I'm using:

http://www.osborneinboardtransport.com

Call Kyle at (859) 595-0729

My dealer has handled the paperwork in the past for me, which gives both the buyer and I some level of comfort. I walked away from one deal where the buyer and I couldn't agree on some terms of the transfer. We agreed on the deal, and how to do it 3 times (with him making little changes each time), and the 4th time, I told him forget it, I'll sell it to someone else. Given how he was in the negotiation process, I could foresee me taking the boat 600-800 miles and him finding some little nitpicky thing to try to wiggle out of the deal. I wouldn't deal with a buyer I wasn't comfortable that it would be a smooth transaction.

I am in Virginia, had a buyer in Washington (state), call me on a Tuesday, asked me if I would take $xxx for my boat. I called him back that evening and said we have a deal. I thought I'ld have one more weekend to hit the lake. I was wrong. He was at my doorstep Friday morning, went to a Bank of America and had a cashiers check made out to me and he drove away with my baby. He was back in Wash. on Sunday.

I had other potential buyers from the west coast, but each one feel through. I didn't want to deal with shipping before I had the cash. If your boat is priced right, you will find a buyer that brings cash to your doorstep.

Edited by ajdouglas

Well thanks for the advice. We came to terms and he is going to wire me the money on Tuesday after the local Malibu dealer verifies the condition of the boat on Monday for warranty purposes and holds boat, then transport will pick up from dealer in Knoxville on Wed. and he will have boat by the weekend. It's also going to the Washington State area. It's always sad to see them go, but sure is a happy day when the new one shows up!

Well thanks for the advice. We came to terms and he is going to wire me the money on Tuesday after the local Malibu dealer verifies the condition of the boat on Monday for warranty purposes and holds boat, then transport will pick up from dealer in Knoxville on Wed. and he will have boat by the weekend. It's also going to the Washington State area. It's always sad to see them go, but sure is a happy day when the new one shows up!

Excellent! Rockon.gifRockon.gifRockon.gif