Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

07 Wakesetter VLX

dluttr

I ordered a 2007 Wakesetter VLX with a Diamond Hull. My dealer suggested this would be a good crossover boat for Casual slalom and wakeboarding. Someone on Wakeworld shared their 1st hand knowledge with me that the wake is better with the V25 Wake Hull, which I suspected...but I wanted to get other opinions from other Malibu owners.

I'd appreciate any other opinions out there, regarding the diamond hull wake, with 1250 lbs of ballast + the Power Wedge vs the V25 wake. Keep in mind I'm using this boat for casual skiing also.

My boat is going into production April 20th.

I can assure you that the wake on the V-25 wake hull will not be enjoyable to ski behind even at speeds greater than 26 mph, you will catch air crossing the wake, well then again that does sound like fun.

I ordered a 2007 Wakesetter VLX with a Diamond Hull. My dealer suggested this would be a good crossover boat for Casual slalom and wakeboarding. Someone on Wakeworld shared their 1st hand knowledge with me that the wake is better with the V25 Wake Hull, which I suspected...but I wanted to get other opinions from other Malibu owners.

I'd appreciate any other opinions out there, regarding the diamond hull wake, with 1250 lbs of ballast + the Power Wedge vs the V25 wake. Keep in mind I'm using this boat for casual skiing also.

My boat is going into production April 20th.

Welcome to the site.

What kind of boat are you used to skiing behind? Perspective is very important when it comes to this issue.

I had a 2002 Sunsetter LXi, tha we'd use the wedge and 500 lb fat sac to wakeboard with. The wake was great for skiing too.

I was just wondering what others experienced with the diamond hull for Wakeboarding + skiing on the VLX.

I had a v-drive sunsetter with the diamond hull, and it was nice for sking. However, I did not like it for wakeboarding. It will be pretty good, but won't compare to the wake hulls.

I had a v-drive sunsetter with the diamond hull, and it was nice for sking. However, I did not like it for wakeboarding. It will be pretty good, but won't compare to the wake hulls.

What was it about the diamond hull, that you didn't like about wakeboarding?

I had a 2002 Sunsetter LXi, tha we'd use the wedge and 500 lb fat sac to wakeboard with. The wake was great for skiing too.

I was just wondering what others experienced with the diamond hull for Wakeboarding + skiing on the VLX.

Coming from the LXI, I'd be a little surprised if you like a diamond hull VLX all that much. I may be wrong about that, but I personally think that if you want the VLX then go all the way & order the wake hull. Just make some good friends that have dedicated ski boats & you'll have the best of both worlds. Otherwise for a true crossover I would steer you to the VTX with the new Cut Diamond hull.

Coming from the LXI, I'd be a little surprised if you like a diamond hull VLX all that much. I may be wrong about that, but I personally think that if you want the VLX then go all the way & order the wake hull. Just make some good friends that have dedicated ski boats & you'll have the best of both worlds. Otherwise for a true crossover I would steer you to the VTX with the new Cut Diamond hull.

I know the wake is larger on the V25 wake hull, then on the Diamond Hull. However, is the shape of the wake different on each hull as well? I'm a beginner wakeboarder that wants a smooth wake. My son is a better boarder that is working on his back roll

I still have time to change hulls, just trying to get the best for the money. Of course, I'd prefer the best of both worlds...skiing and wakeboarding.

I know the wake is larger on the V25 wake hull, then on the Diamond Hull. However, is the shape of the wake different on each hull as well? I'm a beginner wakeboarder that wants a smooth wake. My son is a better boarder that is working on his back roll

I still have time to change hulls, just trying to get the best for the money. Of course, I'd prefer the best of both worlds...skiing and wakeboarding.

If your son is already trying back rolls you should really get it on the wake hull...

True- I Wakeboarded behind a 23LSV Diamond hull and i own a 07 WakesetterLSV w/ the V25 wake hull... BIG difference! Don't buy a boat to do two opposite things. Wake Girls right , make friends that have a boat strictly for skiing .So go and change out that order you have before they spray it otherwise you'll regret having 1/2 a ski boat and 1/2 a Wakeboarding boat that puts out a nasty wake. Good luck with your decision.

True- I Wakeboarded behind a 23LSV Diamond hull and i own a 07 WakesetterLSV w/ the V25 wake hull... BIG difference! Don't buy a boat to do two opposite things. Wake Girls right , make friends that have a boat strictly for skiing .So go and change out that order you have before they spray it otherwise you'll regret having 1/2 a ski boat and 1/2 a Wakeboarding boat that puts out a nasty wake. Good luck with your decision.

Plus1.gif

Thanks for the feedback..I'm considering whether or not I should ask my dealer to switch the boat to the V25 hull or keep the Diamond hull for casual skiing. The VLX will have 1250 lbs of ballast + the Power Wedge.

Since I am a Diamond Hull owner, of course I like mine! However, also to strengthen it a bit...my local dealer orders 100% of his VLX and LSV on Diamond Hulls now, b/c for the recreational skier/boarder, the benefits of the hull via better ride and rough water handling far outweighs (according to him, and I tend to agree) the slight difference in wake.

I debated back and forth as to buy my USED boat or not and it is on a DH. I spoke with my local dealer at length as well as the local dealer where my boat was purchased, and the Bu Rep for 1.5 hr on the phone...after all that...I concluded that I was not a good enough boarder to know or appreciate the difference, so I defaulted to my great deal on a used DH with HH and pulled the trigger.

Sounds like you emphasis casual/recreational skiing/boarding, so *MY* suggestion is to keep the Diamond Hull.

Just my $.02/worth,

Scott

Thanks for the feedback..I'm considering whether or not I should ask my dealer to switch the boat to the V25 hull or keep the Diamond hull for casual skiing. The VLX will have 1250 lbs of ballast + the Power Wedge.
Since I am a Diamond Hull owner, of course I like mine! However, also to strengthen it a bit...my local dealer orders 100% of his VLX and LSV on Diamond Hulls now, b/c for the recreational skier/boarder, the benefits of the hull via better ride and rough water handling far outweighs (according to him, and I tend to agree) the slight difference in wake.

I debated back and forth as to buy my USED boat or not and it is on a DH. I spoke with my local dealer at length as well as the local dealer where my boat was purchased, and the Bu Rep for 1.5 hr on the phone...after all that...I concluded that I was not a good enough boarder to know or appreciate the difference, so I defaulted to my great deal on a used DH with HH and pulled the trigger.

Sounds like you emphasis casual/recreational skiing/boarding, so *MY* suggestion is to keep the Diamond Hull.

Just my $.02/worth,

Scott

Thanks Scott, for the encouragment, regarding the diamond hull. Even though my 14 year old is doing back rolls now, I'm sure he'll be fine with the DH with the PW and the 1250lbs ballast. After all, he was doing back rolls behind my Sunsetter with the Wedge and 500 lbs fat sac.

David

Unless your last name happens to be Shapiro, Murray, or Bonifay definitely go with the Diamond Hull and get a VLX that is definitely worthy of casual slalom skiing and will give you 98%+ of the wake the wake hull would. I skied behind one prior to ordering ours and was very impressed at 32-36 mph at 15 off. Since I am not an expert wakeboarder I spoke to as many as I could including the Malibu Rep about the decision and they all said it would be very difficult to notice a difference wakeboarding behind one vs the other. The Rep even said they took a load of pro's out for a session and did not tell them they were on a Diamond Hull VLX until after they were all back and had been raving about the wake. You can however definitely tell if you are trying to ski behind a wakehull... not fun! Unless you are ready to never ski behind your boat you will kick yourself if you buy the wake hull as it is a one trick pony.

We ordered our 07 VLX with the diamond hull and love it. Our family and friends like to do everything. With the 4 ballast and power wedge we have all we can stand. It was definately the right decision for us.

+1 vote for the versatility of the diamond hull. Why buy a boat that's a one-trick pony if you're planning on using the boat for several disciplines? WOM if you ask me. Remember, you can always add and redistribute ballast to shape a boarding wake, but you can't take a wake hull and make it a good slalom boat.

I see a lot of comments about versatility here & normally I agree. But there are 2 problems that I see to this whole thing, & they're related:

1) He's coming from an older Sunsetter LXI "Classic". There aren't too many crossover boats that stack up well against that boat.

2) He isn't going to demo it.

Personally, I think that a VLX on the diamond would be fine for most people. But in this case because of the buyer's history, I worry that it won't measure up well to his previous boat (with regard to the slalom wake in particular).

I see a lot of comments about versatility here & normally I agree. But there are 2 problems that I see to this whole thing, & they're related:

1) He's coming from an older Sunsetter LXI "Classic". There aren't too many crossover boats that stack up well against that boat.

Personally, I think that a VLX on the diamond would be fine for most people. But in this case because of the buyer's history, I worry that it won't measure up well to his previous boat (with regard to the slalom wake in particular).

I have to agree with you, I currently own the wake hull and heve skied behind it a couple of times, you are not going to run a course but it's alot like an I/O wake at ski speeds. If for nothing more I would purchase the wake hull for resal value.

Thanks for the input WakeGirl. Honestly though, I wakeboarded (and so did my son and his friends) behind the Sunsetter much more than we slalomed skiied. With the VLX, we'll probably wakeboard 65%, Wakesurf 25%, and slalom 10% of the time. I just wanted a boat versatile enough to effectively accomodate all 3 sports. Hopefully, (and by the looks of some of the other posts) it will be just what everyone that wants a tow, is looking for.

I have to agree with you, I currently own the wake hull and heve skied behind it a couple of times, you are not going to run a course but it's alot like an I/O wake at ski speeds. If for nothing more I would purchase the wake hull for resal value.

Not sure that I agree with that assumption. It wasn't all that long ago that the 2001 Sunsetter VLX was a very sought after used boat due to the v-drive configuration on the diamond hull.

And WG is right, not many 21ft. boats produce a slalom wake that compares favorably to the pre-'05 SLXi.

Thanks for the input WakeGirl. Honestly though, I wakeboarded (and so did my son and his friends) behind the Sunsetter much more than we slalomed skiied. With the VLX, we'll probably wakeboard 65%, Wakesurf 25%, and slalom 10% of the time. I just wanted a boat versatile enough to effectively accomodate all 3 sports. Hopefully, (and by the looks of some of the other posts) it will be just what everyone that wants a tow, is looking for.

Wake hull.