Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Impellar Housing WARNING!

smooth as glass

In all the posts over last couple years about impellars never heard about changing the seal at the back of the housing. Mine started leaking slightly, figured I'd change next time I changed the impellar. Dont make that mistake, if its leaking its going to ruin the bearing on the shaft and thats where I am today, after waiting thru a week of rain and finally getting the group together on a beautiful calm day only to get 300 ft from dock and hear a ratlle and sqweak. then small amout of smoke on opening box. So 2.00 part now costing the housing and shaft , what a pisser!!!

Sorry to hear that smooth.

Can anyone provide more details on this rear seal? Is is directly behind the impeller or behind the housing? What's involved in replacement?

Guess I'll go do little search at skidim.....

Got any pictures to show the rest of us? I never really paid any attention to the pump when I had it out on the bench replacing the impeller.

Was this the culprit? water pump seal

Note the warning,

Be carefull when removing or installing your impeller and dont let the impeller c*** (tilt) to one side and try to force it in. If you put lateral pressure on the impeller shaft it may distort this seal causing a leak.

Never thought about that! :Doh:

Edited by John I.

That is indeed the part john, but whew didnt think it was that much. I could probably get by with just the seal and imppellar but figured I'd do the preventative and just get whole housing which includes the shaft with bearing(170.00) skidim. my shaft was scored a bit. no need to skimp on so impt a function as keeping and staying cool. I'll post a pic the weekend. Mike