Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

chrome problem on dash

Mike d Wakeboarder

i just got my new 07 VLX and i was out on it last night and i noticed that there is one area on the dash that the chrome came off. it is very small and hard to see. but i am afraid that it will spread. i will be taking it down to the dealer this week and i will ask them. any comets about it would be great.

Biggrin.gif

Covered under warranty, have the dealer replace it.

ya i talked to the dealer and they are going to replace it. is that something that is going to happen all the time or do you think it was just a defect in the original dash? :)

200 hrs over 2 years on our billet dash and it looks just like when it was delivered. Sounds like a fluke, but you never know.

200 hrs over 2 years on our billet dash and it looks just like when it was delivered. Sounds like a fluke, but you never know.

ya i hope so, the dealer is changing it now. Biggrin.gif

My '06 had a similar defect right in the middle of the panel. I don't know why they wouldn't have better QA on something so obviously visible to the boat owner. You only stare directly at that piece of chrome like every time you drive the boat. I had it replaced under warrantly and there is no reason to expect it to ever flake off. I think they just don't pay enough attention to the chroming process or the condition of the pieces they choose to install.

My '06 had a similar defect right in the middle of the panel. I don't know why they wouldn't have better QA on something so obviously visible to the boat owner. You only stare directly at that piece of chrome like every time you drive the boat. I had it replaced under warrantly and there is no reason to expect it to ever flake off. I think they just don't pay enough attention to the chroming process or the condition of the pieces they choose to install.

Only part of the dash is "billet" chrome. The chrome around the switches is not billet and it will flake. Every 2007 that I have seen is flaking. In my 06 Wakesetter I had the "Wakesetter" emblems replaced because the were flaking as well. I think that Malibu needs to find a new chrome plater.

Only part of the dash is "billet" chrome. The chrome around the switches is not billet and it will flake. Every 2007 that I have seen is flaking. In my 06 Wakesetter I had the "Wakesetter" emblems replaced because the were flaking as well. I think that Malibu needs to find a new chrome plater.

the switch panales are stainless that are chromed.

Every 2007 that I have seen is flaking. In my 06 Wakesetter I had the "Wakesetter" emblems replaced because the were flaking as well. I think that Malibu needs to find a new chrome plater.

This sounds like they picked the wrong company to do the plating on these components.

This seems like it's an ongoing, sporadic problem that Malibu has had since implementing the chrome pieces. At 120+ hours I haven't had any problems at all with my '06, & never had any problems with my '04 either & we sold it with almost 200 hours on it. I suspect that they're getting bad batches/runs of pieces.

This seems like it's an ongoing, sporadic problem that Malibu has had since implementing the chrome pieces. At 120+ hours I haven't had any problems at all with my '06, & never had any problems with my '04 either & we sold it with almost 200 hours on it. I suspect that they're getting bad batches/runs of pieces.

that seen like that could be what the problem is. the dealer is puting my new dash on now and i will just hope that i do not have any problems with it. i always keep the boat clean dry and covered so that should help keep away the chrome problem. :)

that seen like that could be what the problem is. the dealer is puting my new dash on now and i will just hope that i do not have any problems with it. i always keep the boat clean dry and covered so that should help keep away the chrome problem. :)

Ditto to what Tracie said, both with our '03 VLX and our '06 VLX ,we have not experienced damage to the chrome pieces. Both boats are well maintained but treated hard on the water...the chrome has held up fine. Definitely, yeah yeah, definitely bad batches. :) Glad the dealer is resolving it for you!

Edited by The Garslayer