Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone know of Mods for Gas Tank Venting??

I have owned a Malibu since 1999. Both boats I have owned have had the same frustrating problem. When filling up at the gas pump I have to baby the flow to a trickle; otherwise, I will be covered in gas as it backs up and shoots out the fill tube. Nevermind that it takes me 10 minutes to fill.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any solutions???

Make sure the vent tube between the tank and the vent is coiled like a spring versus like a P-trap underneath your sink. The reason gas spits out is because gas is trapped in vent line preventing the air from escaping.

you need to make sure the boat is equipped with the part that goes in the vent line, that stops that backflow (my old age has let me completely forget the part). Search this site, its been discussed many times.

Not that it will help with the backflow problem, but I've found that opening the opposite side gas cap helps the flow a bunch.

Make sure the vent tube between the tank and the vent is coiled like a spring versus like a P-trap underneath your sink. The reason gas spits out is because gas is trapped in vent line preventing the air from escaping.

Thanks for the advice from one Chicago Bears fan to another....GO BEARS!!!

Not that it will help with the backflow problem, but I've found that opening the opposite side gas cap helps the flow a bunch.

I only have one gas cap. Thanks anyway.

Hey, where do you line in Orland Park? That's where I grew up......

you need to make sure the boat is equipped with the part that goes in the vent line, that stops that backflow (my old age has let me completely forget the part). Search this site, its been discussed many times.

Just so I am clear about things, the back flow I am expereincing comes out the fill hole, not the actual vent. Will this still be the remedy?

Just so I am clear about things, the backflow I get is out of the fill hole not the vent tube. What you are saying is that the coils will prevent any gas from getting trapped in the vent line? If that is the case I should be able to open the fill hole cap and blow into the vent tube port and clear it out. I got to believe that the vent tube is fixed to the top of the fuel cell.

Just so I am clear about things, the back flow I am expereincing comes out the fill hole, not the actual vent. Will this still be the remedy?

yes. your boat might already have the vent thingy in it (my 2000 RLX had), but installing the Racor will remedy the problem. the factory installed one is small and cheap plastic. the racor is big and beafy. The vent provides the proper air to the tank, and the racor keeps the gas from backflowing out the vent. the air going in from the vent allows the tank to be filled faster through the filler hole, and also makes the shutoff on the pump work correctly.

yes. your boat might already have the vent thingy in it (my 2000 RLX had), but installing the Racor will remedy the problem. the factory installed one is small and cheap plastic. the racor is big and beafy. The vent provides the proper air to the tank, and the racor keeps the gas from backflowing out the vent. the air going in from the vent allows the tank to be filled faster through the filler hole, and also makes the shutoff on the pump work correctly.

Below is the excerpt from the article written on the venting subject; and, that is why I wanted to meke sure we were talking about the same thing. I have gone ahead and purchased the item, it can't hurt to have it, one way or another. Thanks for the advice.

This is by far & away one of the easiest yet most effective & useable mods that a person can do for their boat. If you have a problem with gas spewing out of the vent during fill ups or at any point when the tank is semi-full, then this will most likely solve the problem for you. (Note, this will only fix the problem with gas coming out of the vent. It won't do anything for gas overflow through the filler neck.)

I just hold the fuel nozzle only part way in. By doing so it allows the air to escape out the filler. Still have to be careful as approaches full though. Have to listen carefully.

I just hold the fuel nozzle only part way in. By doing so it allows the air to escape out the filler. Still have to be careful as approaches full though. Have to listen carefully.

Yep, that is the current technique that I use. It is just a pain in the @#$%@$$. It doesn't matter how careful I am; there still always seems to be a little that backwashes out.

I have also found that turning the nozzle upside down helps too.

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, that is the current technique that I use. It is just a pain in the @#$%@$$. It doesn't matter how careful I am; there still always seems to be a little that backwashes out.

Thanks for the reply.

I have the same problems! I don't mind the gas coming out of the vent when its sitting in the driveway (its minimal), I can deal with that. But I HATE having to "baby it" while filling the tank, getting gas on my clothes, and taking 10+ minutes to fill. The LG50 won't help with being able to fill any better, but it will help with gas coming out of the vent. I have found that holding the nozzle either upside down or at a steep angel sometimes helps, but I have found nothing to remedy the problem...no matter how slow it fills it always seems to kick back if I don't rest for a few seconds Mad.gif

Edited by jetskipro550

I have no answer for why you can't fill up your boat like you can your car. Mine does now after the Racor install and it was the same with the last boat. It may be the different fuel nozzles that are required for some states. Our nozzles have a flat donut looking thing on them that will fit up against the fill hole. I just hold that up against the fill hole and it shuts off when it's full with no gas spewing out of the vent. I don't have to hold the fill nozzle in any certain way, just the normal position. It was not that way without the Racor.

Dontknow.gif

Just so I am clear about things, the backflow I get is out of the fill hole not the vent tube. What you are saying is that the coils will prevent any gas from getting trapped in the vent line? If that is the case I should be able to open the fill hole cap and blow into the vent tube port and clear it out. I got to believe that the vent tube is fixed to the top of the fuel cell.

When you fill your tank with fuel, the air has to escape somewhere, normally the vent tube. If the vent tube is full of fuel then the gas you are pumping into the tank will spit back out the fill hole. Therefore, just make sure your vent line is routed in such a manner that fuel can't get trapped in it ie. my coil spring example.

Hope this is clearer.

Had this problem on my earlier boats as well. Biggrin.gif

Edited by LS-One

Hey, where do you line in Orland Park? That's where I grew up......

Southern end, down by Mokena and I-80

Thumbup.gif

When you fill your tank with fuel, the air has to escape somewhere, normally the vent tube. If the vent tube is full of fuel then the gas you are pumping into the tank will spit back out the fill hole. Therefore, just make sure your vent line is routed in such a manner that fuel can't get trapped in it ie. my coil spring example.

Hope this is clearer.

I took the boat apart to check out the vent line. IT HAD A KINK IN IT!!!!!! Right below the vent port. The hose is permanently deformed/kinked. I am going to replace the hose, coil the section as you suggested and add the Racor Fuel/Air seperator. I am hoping that will do the trick.

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the reply.

I have the same problems! I don't mind the gas coming out of the vent when its sitting in the driveway (its minimal), I can deal with that. But I HATE having to "baby it" while filling the tank, getting gas on my clothes, and taking 10+ minutes to fill. The LG50 won't help with being able to fill any better, but it will help with gas coming out of the vent. I have found that holding the nozzle either upside down or at a steep angel sometimes helps, but I have found nothing to remedy the problem...no matter how slow it fills it always seems to kick back if I don't rest for a few seconds Mad.gif

I took the boat apart to check out the vent line. IT HAD A KINK IN IT!!!!!! Right below the vent port. The hose is permanently deformed/kinked. I am going to replace the hose, coil up a section right at the vent port, and add the Racor Fuel/Air seperator. I am hoping that will do the trick.

You may want to check out your vent hose. I imagine you may have the same situation.

Hope this is clearer.

I almost edited my post yesterday to say you may just have a kink in it. Not to disccredit the Racor seperator, but if you get the proper coil in your new vent hose you won't need it. The fuel can't travel up the coil. I used a couple of zip ties on my 96 Sunsetter to help keep the coils in place.