Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

impeller replacement question

I have an '05 Hammerhead and I can't seem to get the water pump impeller out. The engine has 220 hours and as far as I can tell the impeller appears to be in good shape, but I still would like to change it. Previously I had an '02 hammerhead and I was able to remove the impeller with my fingers. I do recall that when I changed the '02 impeller it was slightly beat up.

How hard should it be to remove an intact impeller? What method of removal is recommended?

thanks.

Many of us use this method: 1) Take the pump/impeller cover off, 2) briefly hit the ignition (some people use a squirt of binding slime as step two and THEN hit the ignition briefly). Either way this should spin the impeller out to a point where it is much easier to remove with your hand.

I bet others will chime in as well but this seems to be a pretty popular method for removing v-drive impellers.

orwood,

Looks to me like you have it easy with your Rlxi. The only thing in your way is the ski pylon. V drive owners could double as circus performers for all the crawling, reaching and contorting that must be done to get to the back side where the impeller is. Crazy.gif

Like W said, squirt some lube in the fins of the stuck impeller, I take the coil wire off the dist. then bump the engine a rev or two. Sometimes I pull it out by hand, sometimes grab the fins with med to large needle nose plyers and pull out switching alternate sides. Once out, lube up the new one and push it in while turning slightly in the direction it should spin. Bingo bango bongo!!

Mine was almost impossible to get out for the first time (the boat sat unused for almost 2 years before I bought it ). After applying lube and turning the engine over, I latched onto mine with 2 pairs of needle nose channel locks (vice grips), one on either side of the impellor. With my self and a buddy working from each side of the motor, we were able to get it free. It was a major PITA.

Mine was almost impossible to get out for the first time (the boat sat unused for almost 2 years before I bought it ). After applying lube and turning the engine over, I latched onto mine with 2 pairs of needle nose channel locks (vice grips), one on either side of the impellor. With my self and a buddy working from each side of the motor, we were able to get it free. It was a major PITA.

One common method is the use of a pair of paint can openers. Slide them in 180 degree apart on the impeller and pull evenly out. Do that after a little lube of some kind (food-grade silicone works best) and bumping the starter once or twice.

265207_front500.jpg

Another option that is VERY cool for those stubborn impellers is an impeller puller

41203.jpg

Many of us use this method: 1) Take the pump/impeller cover off, 2) briefly hit the ignition (some people use a squirt of binding slime as step two and THEN hit the ignition briefly). Either way this should spin the impeller out to a point where it is much easier to remove with your hand.

I bet others will chime in as well but this seems to be a pretty popular method for removing v-drive impellers.

Plus1.gif

i fought with mine for hours the first time, truly a pita. I followed all the advice here, still nothing. I bought an impeller puller and it took about 5 minutes. the clamps on the side just bite into the rubber, it was the easiest way for me.

Try 90 degree needle nose pliers. I keep one in the boat along with the impeller I just pulled out as a spare. I change mine every year regardless of hours used. I was stuck on a lake once with a shot impeller. Never again! Keep a spare in the glove box. It could save your day. I also keep a small can of WD40.

post-598-1175718875_thumb.jpg

I used the paint can openers earlier tonight to swap out my impeller. Wouldnt move at first, even after lubing the interior of the housing and bumping the engine over. Sprayed a little lubricant in the center, where the splined shaft is, then bumped the engine over again after waiting a minute or so. Came right out after that.

I used the paint can openers earlier tonight to swap out my impeller. Wouldnt move at first, even after lubing the interior of the housing and bumping the engine over. Sprayed a little lubricant in the center, where the splined shaft is, then bumped the engine over again after waiting a minute or so. Came right out after that.
Jack - Next time have your wife do it. With just a little muscle they come right out. Whistling.gif

ROFL.gif

One common method is the use of a pair of paint can openers. Slide them in 180 degree apart on the impeller and pull evenly out. Do that after a little lube of some kind (food-grade silicone works best) and bumping the starter once or twice.

265207_front500.jpg

Another option that is VERY cool for those stubborn impellers is an impeller puller

41203.jpg

I just bought one of those impeller pullers from SkiDIM, but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. I put it and a spare impeller into the boat.

Jack - Next time have your wife do it. With just a little muscle they come right out. Whistling.gif

Huh, huh, huh. I didn't want to muscle it out, because the paint lid openers may have scratched my pylon. And you know how protective I am about that.