Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Broke off the oil drain fitting in the engine oil pan!

Hello all. I may need to start drinking heavily. I just changed a ballast pump and noticed a bit of oil in the bilge. I tracked it down to the oil drain hose fitting in the oil pan. I put a small cresent wrench on it and it did not feel the least bit snug. I didn't even make it a quarter of a turn and it broke off. Mad.gif It had a kind of buttery feel as it came off in case you have never busted a piece of soft metal. Any ideas how to get the remaning part of the fitting (threads) out of the drain pan threads?

Thanks.

I don't know if they make one with a large enough diameter to grab onto what's left but that sounds like a job for an easy-out. They are special drill bits that you spin backwards and they bite into the metal and spin it out.

Thanks for the quick replies BBeakley and D-Goose. I vaguely remember my dad using one many years ago. I remember him using a hammer to hit the tool to extract the threads. From the looks of what you guys mention, I should be able to get the right size ez out and then use a wrench to extract the remainder of the fitting. No chance of hitting the thing in to make it bite into the threads since there is only a few inches to the bottom of the boat. Does that sound about right?

I spoke with a shop and they told me they could get me in the last week of April. They mentioned it could be tricky with an easy out and it could come down to pulling the motor to fix. That doesn't sound encouraging.

Edited by flyr1

i don't want to be negative, but if I were you I would keep that appointment with that shop. Due to corrosion issues (especially since its in the bilge, and IF you've done any salt water boating at all) I would suspect that you will need to pull the motor to make sure you have it all out.

If all works out OK, you can cancel the appointment.

Since the fitting is brass, the easyout should easily get a hold on the remaining threads in the drain. Its possible that it isn't even tight because the head of the fitting that broke is what tightens down on the seat of the drain (on a ring seal). The threads may just come right out by hand...then again, maybe not Whistling.gif

Good luck.

Hello all. I may need to start drinking heavily.

May I suggest a Beer Bong...Oh and a easy out nothing to it, I would be more worried about cleaning the oil out of the bilge.

I would give the ez out a try. I looked at the link D-goose posted and I'm shocked. I didn't know snap-on sold anything for less than $20. It took me a few minutes to picture what you are working on. So I guess all of your oil dumped into the bilge. If it's a hollow fitting left in the drain hole then you just need to match the ID of the hole up to the right size ez out. Gooddog is right that usually when you pop a head on a bolt you can just remove the rest with your fingers as long as the threads are good. I would imagine the fitting has sealant on it though so it could be a bit sticky. But it should be easy if the threads are still good. It is tight working down there. You'll have to pick the engine up if you want to get the oil pan off though. That would be a last resort.

I don't know if the factory applies a sealant on the threads or not. The pic in the Overtons on that part shows what looks like a nylon seal ring. I would use a sealant if I were installing one, but thats just me. If there is a sealant it could be a little harder to do but still possible.

Let us know how it turns out.

I don't know if the factory applies a sealant on the threads or not. The pic in the Overtons on that part shows what looks like a nylon seal ring. I would use a sealant if I were installing one, but thats just me. If there is a sealant it could be a little harder to do but still possible.

Let us know how it turns out.

:lol:

I got it out using the 1/4 inch extractor from Snap On tools! It was very difficult to get both hands under the oil pan. I was basically resting my head on the floor of the transom locker with my lower body kind of next to the ski tow pole with both hands under the oil pan. At first I tried using the box end of the end wrench to turn the extractor...dropping the extractor and/or wrench dozens of times...of course oil slickened after dropping them the first time. It was actually suprisingly easy once I tried using one firnger to push/hold the extractor up into the broken fitting and using the open end of the wrench with the other hand. There was almost no torque felt as it was working...I thought I felt a little at first...I wasn't even sure the extractor had grabbed the fitting, but it was staying somewhat in place in the fitting as I backed it out. When it came out I thought I had just dropped the extractor for the 28th time when I noticed the remains of the broken fitting stuck to the extractor! If any of you guys do have to do this, it's not that bad. Thanks all for the advice. Rockon.gif What a relief it turned out OK.

It was very difficult to get both hands under the oil pan. I was basically resting my head on the floor of the transom locker with my lower body kind of next to the ski tow pole with both hands under the oil pan.

You should have rented a trained mongoose...I'm surprised they don't come standard with all new V-drive boats, after hearing the stories of you guys getting access to some parts of the engine.

I'm glad it worked out...

Since the fitting is brass, the easyout should easily get a hold on the remaining threads in the drain. Its possible that it isn't even tight because the head of the fitting that broke is what tightens down on the seat of the drain (on a ring seal). The threads may just come right out by hand...then again, maybe not Whistling.gif

Good luck.

I agree with GD and glad it plug came out so easy. I was almost going to drop you my # so I could walk you through it. This is not a big job and the DEALER was just going to take you for a ride. JM2C

Would a DD have been any easier? It's still on the bottom of the pan isn't it? Dontknow.gif

Sure, you just lay or kneel on the floor and reach under bending at the elbow. Everything is easier on a DD. Biggrin.gif

Would a DD have been any easier? It's still on the bottom of the pan isn't it? Dontknow.gif

Sure, you just lay or kneel on the floor and reach under bending at the elbow. Everything is easier on a DD. Biggrin.gif

Isn't that because people who need a direct drive need it to be easier? Tongue.gif