Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

QUICK NEED ADVICE ON A NEW TRAILER

JDubya

I found a trailer that I would like to buy however it is for a I/O.

Anyone know how much it will cost to have it retrofitted for my Echelon. As far as I can tell all that would needed to be done it add a prop guard and adjust the bunks.

Can anyone shed light on my situation.

Here are some pictures.

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/303904014.html

Seems like a good deal, look at your original trailer and measure how far back the prop guard etc. is located and lay it out on the trailer in question. Most likely all you would have to do the trailer is cut the back of the frame, have a propguard made, welded to the back and tied into the first cross support (see photo), add some guide poles and paint.

Also a pic of my Extreme trailer for the LSV

Edited by RiverRunner
Seems like a good deal, look at your original trailer and measure how far back the prop guard etc. is located and lay it out on the trailer in question. Most likely all you would have to do the trailer is cut the back of the frame, have a propguard made, welded to the back and tied into the first cross support (see photo), add some guide poles and paint.

Also a pic of my Extreme trailer for the LSV

Yeah I just don't want to get into it and end up spending another grand fixing and painting it. I guess for the price I won't be able to get a better deal. I think I am going to do it. Jsut need to find a place that can do the work and give me a ballpark quote.

I told the guy I would get back to him tomorrow.

to be honest, i don't think that trailer will work. I think there is more of a V in each of the cross members for inboards, so that fins can get by. Either that, you'd have to get the steel mounts for the bunks extended to get the bunks higher (assuming those are not adjustable).

Ramman - My guess is that you are going to have to do some major structural changes on that trailer. At the minimum, the rear cross member will have to be cut out and a "box" built under it to accomodate the prop/rudder. The next cross member might have to be modified that way too, depending on the fit. The fins could cause a problem further up the trailer too. My guess is that you will spend close to $1,000 on that trailer to make it fit. For $2,500 you should be able to find a new trailer that is built for an inboard.

Ramman - My guess is that you are going to have to do some major structural changes on that trailer. At the minimum, the rear cross member will have to be cut out and a "box" built under it to accomodate the prop/rudder. The next cross member might have to be modified that way too, depending on the fit. The fins could cause a problem further up the trailer too. My guess is that you will spend close to $1,000 on that trailer to make it fit. For $2,500 you should be able to find a new trailer that is built for an inboard.

Well I spoke to someone at EZ Loader and the said not to do it. The axels are moved farther back on a I/O and it is built differently. However they said that they have what they called a "send back" that is brand new and was buit for a Tige 20i that they would sell me for $1500 shipped to Houston. My questions and maybe I would get more feedback on WSR but how close are the hulls. Will that work for me?

Anyone know the dimensional differences between a 93 Echelon and a 06/07 Tige 20i?

Well I spoke to someone at EZ Loader and the said not to do it. The axels are moved farther back on a I/O and it is built differently. However they said that they have what they called a "send back" that is brand new and was buit for a Tige 20i that they would sell me for $1500 shipped to Houston. My questions and maybe I would get more feedback on WSR but how close are the hulls. Will that work for me?

Anyone know the dimensional differences between a 93 Echelon and a 06/07 Tige 20i?

Now that sounds like the way to go. IMO most trailers that are fabricated for inboards "generally" fit most boats - assuming the size differences are not that great. Someone may have some dimensions, but I would get my tape out and measure the clearances/dimensions you have on your existing trailer and then compare them to the proposed trailer. If you think it will work, then I would see if you can borrow that trailer, then haul your boat and the new trailer to the closest boat ramp and put your boat on the new trailer to see if it fits. If you do this, do not drive your boat on the new trailer - float it on, winch it up, and gently haul it out of the water - watching it all the time. Watch the fins, especially. After you get it out of the water you can clearly tell if it fits your boat. Really, the only way to see if it fits is to try it on.

I'd also check where the strakes line up in regards to the bunks. The bunks on my Dorsey match perfectly witht the strakes on the boat and get it to line up within an inch or two every time. The one time I had it on the trailer wrong it looked like the bunks were taking a beating from the boat being on it wrong until it "bounced" back into place.

Mike

I'd also check where the strakes line up in regards to the bunks. The bunks on my Dorsey match perfectly witht the strakes on the boat and get it to line up within an inch or two every time. The one time I had it on the trailer wrong it looked like the bunks were taking a beating from the boat being on it wrong until it "bounced" back into place.

Mike

I agree...you are most likely going to need some horizontal adjustment in those bunks to get them "just right", and make loading a snap.