Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How Long Do You Moor Your Boat Before Drying Out The Gel Coat?

Donnieb

I'm going to be renting a slip in a fresh water lake this season for my new Malibu Wakesetter VLX. Yahoo.gif Last year I left my old Bayliner in the water from mid-May to mid-September, and didn't have any trouble with blistering of the gel coat. But the Malibu Owners Manual says that you should take the boat out of the water every 2 weeks to let the gel coat dry out.

I can't install a boat lift because I'm merely renting the slip, so my question is "how long have you left your boat in the water, and have you had any gel coat problems".

Thanks!

Donnie

My LAST boat (not a precious Malibu.... just an outboard) I would leave for up to 4 ~ 6 weeks at a time. (Freshwater lake in Canada). This means it would only get pulled out twice during my 3 month boating period. In addition to the bit of scum, after the second summer of this method, I noticed blistering. Yikes.

With the Malibu, I take it out at least every 2 weeks. (Again, my season is only about 10-12 weeks long.) Get's washed and waxed. No blistering..... but even with the 2 week frequency, I notice (sometimes) these very tiny sand-like specs attached to the hull..... just around the chine. They come off with my cleaning/waxing..... and all is fine.

During the 2 weeks it's in the water at the dock, I swim around with a sponge and wipe down the chine area (underwater) to inhibit whatever growth is trying to happen. Makes it easier when I pull the boat for its 2 week bottom-side cleaning.

Boats in the water for 2 - 3 weeks, then comes out for about 2 - 4 days depending on the weather and gets a good quick cleaning, wax and gas, then back in for another 2 - 3 weeks. I do the cleaning in the water like doughickey does too. Been doing that with the last 20 years, May thur Sept. with 5 boats without any problems.

from mid-May to mid-September, and didn't have any trouble with blistering of the gel coat. But the Malibu Owners Manual says that you should take the boat out of the water every 2 weeks to let the gel coat dry out.

Our boat goes in the water around the Victoria Day weekend (24th of May), stays in the water until we go to BC at the end of June, comes out for the trip to BC, goes back in the water for July in BC, comes out for the trip home and stays in the water until I can't take the temps - usually early October. The manual may very well say something about the gelcoat but its a boat fer gawd's sakes. They're meant to be in the water.

from mid-May to mid-September, and didn't have any trouble with blistering of the gel coat. But the Malibu Owners Manual says that you should take the boat out of the water every 2 weeks to let the gel coat dry out.

Our boat goes in the water around the Victoria Day weekend (24th of May), stays in the water until we go to BC at the end of June, comes out for the trip to BC, goes back in the water for July in BC, comes out for the trip home and stays in the water until I can't take the temps - usually early October. The manual may very well say something about the gelcoat but its a boat fer gawd's sakes. They're meant to be in the water.

I Second that. Our boat goes in mid may and comes out mid September. Only rarely does it come out of the water during that time frame, and thats only for a short drive (less than an hour) to another water way, just to get in the water. Ive only had a Bu for one year, but Ive had other boats for the last 10+ years, and never had any problems (besides scum). This is new news to me.

On my 4th summer of mooring I started getting blisters. I attribute this to not enough waxing. After my second summer I got the boat acid washed (that's what we do around here to get the bottom clean). Well the guy said there was a thick coat of gunk on the bottom of the boat. I think it was really wax, because the previous owner kept the boat in pristine condidtion (hardly ever used). I wish i wouldn't have had the boat acid washed, it removed all the wax. I've only waxed the bottom a few times. :(

I can't install a boat lift because I'm merely renting the slip, so my question is "how long have you left your boat in the water, and have you had any gel coat problems".

I've rent a slip from the marina and I keep mine on a lift.

Going on 7 years now - I own the lift.

Check with the marina, I bet they'll sell or maybe lease you one.

You need at least a 4500 lb lift.

A lift in a covered slip is THE way to go - just drop it and go - no trailering.