Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower lights

Markuswithak

Hey everybody-

I just picked up a 2006 Malibu VLX yesterday, was a die hard Mastercraft owner by the way.....I installed 4 tower lights this morning. Does anyone have instructions or a schematic on how to wire them to the dash? I am not sure where the wires that I hooked to the lights terminate either, are they under the dash or back at the base of the tower? I assume that the switch I use is the 3rd from the right on the left hand switch panel, that is the switch it shows as being the tower light switch in the owners manual. There is only a ground wire coming off the back of that switch. Any help is greatly appreciated if anyone has done this install on their boat.

Thanks

Welcome to the site! You've got a great Malibu dealer up there. While I don't have any suggestions hooking up your lights, I would recommend to make sure I know what the law states regarding tower lights.

I just helped Woody (05 vlx) hook up a set of light to the tower. What you need to do is fold the tower down and look up in side. You will find a few sets of wire's that you will have to ohm out each set of wire's to see what one you have hooked to the lights. Then run the wire's from the left side, up under the gunnel and around the back of the seats, then hook them to the other side of the tower wire's (wires come out of both sides of the tower) for the right side lights, then run it up and under your dash. You can use any open switch you like. JM2C

How many amps do the lights draw? If its high you may need a relay.

i had my dealer install 4 metcraft bullet lights. i think they are 40-50 watts. they have to fix them because they ran to much power to one breaker. so it kicks after they are on for a few seconds. so i would sudjest that you put them on seperate brekaers. :)

All you need to do is flip tower down you will find 4 sets of wires tucked up in the tower on each side . 2 sets of red/black which are the tower lights , and 2 sets of speaker wires. run the wires from the left side over to the driver seat under dash you will need to put a realy on these wires so you don't keep bolwing your circuit breaker . Here is how you wire the relay pin 30 goes to the lights , pin 85 to ground pin 87 to your 12v battery should be able to find a wire for that under dash , pin 86 hooks to wire from switch. whichever it may be

All you need to do is flip tower down you will find 4 sets of wires tucked up in the tower on each side . 2 sets of red/black which are the tower lights , and 2 sets of speaker wires. run the wires from the left side over to the driver seat under dash you will need to put a realy on these wires so you don't keep bolwing your circuit breaker . Here is how you wire the relay pin 30 goes to the lights , pin 85 to ground pin 87 to your 12v battery should be able to find a wire for that under dash , pin 86 hooks to wire from switch. whichever it may be

Thats exactly what I was looking for, thanks alot!

• 1 month later...
i had my dealer install 4 metcraft bullet lights. i think they are 40-50 watts. they have to fix them because they ran to much power to one breaker. so it kicks after they are on for a few seconds. so i would sudjest that you put them on seperate brekaers. :)

Mike, I am starting to relate to a lot of your postings. I wish I read this one earlier. My dealer had a helluva time trying to wire our 4 Metcraft lights last weekend.

Mike, I am starting to relate to a lot of your postings. I wish I read this one earlier. My dealer had a helluva time trying to wire our 4 Metcraft lights last weekend.

well my dealer had there first experience with lights when i ask for them. when i told them i wanted light they were confused. they had to call malibu to find out what to do. so i feel your pain.

It isn't the breaker, It is the metcraft design. I have seen it plenty of times before. The wire that is in the bracket in the tower has cut a wire and one light is grounding out. That is why it cuts out if only after a few seconds to a minute. If they are cutting out after like 5 minutes, then the power isn't enough.