Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Low Speed Noise

We bought a new 05 V-Ride last season and abouth half way through the season we started having a high pitched harmonics, like a whine, only at low speeds, from 1-6mph. Any ideas on the reason for this? It goes away when going faster. Took it in and they couldn't find the problem. They told us to run it and see if it goes away, that it could be break in. Well it didn't and we want to get it back for the season without the noise, and the now told us that several boats are having this and it just your boat. Any solutions or similar problems.

Thanks

I had a similar situation and found my impeller was going bad. I think some of the torn paddles on it were causing a high pitched noise. I never expected that type of noist to come from the impeller but it did. Luckily it was a $50 impeller and not something expensive.

I'll second the impeller. Mine sings at or around idle. It usually happens after the impellor has been in for a season or two. When they are new they don't seem to do that.

Edited by Rod S

My money is on the tranny... It is the nature of the beast. Mine is 11 years old, 1000 hours and still running strong.

How loud is it? I think the tranny or drive shaft "sings" at idle speed.

I it loud enough that the high pitch is annoying as we are trolling around the lake. When we speed up it gets higher and then after about 7mph it goes away or we just can't hear it anymore.

Thanks for the help.

My money is on the tranny... It is the nature of the beast. Mine is 11 years old, 1000 hours and still running strong.

Does this mean your boat does the same thing???

I it loud enough that the high pitch is annoying as we are trolling around the lake. When we speed up it gets higher and then after about 7mph it goes away or we just can't hear it anymore.

Thanks for the help.

Ok, not any sound I was thinking of then. Didn't understand one of your previous posts, are you saying that the dealer has other boats with similar issue?

Thanks for the help.

Ok, not any sound I was thinking of then. Didn't understand one of your previous posts, are you saying that the dealer has other boats with similar issue?

Yes, they are saying that other boats are having the same issue with the noise. They are saying that it is normal, that they can't pinpoint the noise. But it didn't always make the noise, so I wanted to do some research myself.

I've been around a couple of boats that will do that.. I'm betting on the prop.

When I run the acme 515 on my boat it does it, but with the 449 it does not.

Edited by Tom Sawyer
My money says it the prop. You can file the trailing edge flat to eliminate the noise, but I think it sounds cool.

I bet it is the prop...try switching it out and see if you have the same problem. When our prop sings it drives the dogs on the shoreline crazy...LOL

Side note: kbtheboz is that the picture I took in your avator... Dontknow.gif

• 4 years later...

Yes, they are saying that other boats are having the same issue with the noise. They are saying that it is normal, that they can't pinpoint the noise. But it didn't always make the noise, so I wanted to do some research myself.

Did you ever find out what was making the noise on your boat? My Malibu has all the same issues and the mechanic cannot pinpoint this either. Feel like it is not the prop, definitely coming from the engine area.