Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wakeboard/waterski camps

kyleengman

Just joined The Malibu Crew. After many years of getting abused by my buddies with Mastercrafts and Malibus, I finally bit the bullet and replaced my 25 year old Searay for a 1999 Wakesetter. I'm an old fart (46 yrs) and though I've been wakeboarding for a number of years, I still suck (can do a wake-to-wake 180, but not much else). My wife and I will be in Orlando on business in the early part of May and I'd like to spend a day at a camp where someone can help me with my wakeboarding skills while my wife works on slalom.

Interested in people's experience with specific camps since I know there are a ton of them out there, as well as opinions on how much one day of instruction can help.

My wife and I did a 3 hour lesson at OWC last November. It was easy to get to, not too expensive and a great learning experience. It's not like going to Murray or Shapiro's place or even the Wakeboard Camp, but for us, on a limited time budget, it was great. Plus, if you have time, you can hit the cable park after your lesson. I just liked it because it was closer in to Orlando than a lot of the other spots.

P.S. If you're anything like my wife and I (only about a year of Wakeboarding under our belts), you may learn you've been doing it all wrong from the start.... Crazy.gif

thanks a lot. I'm intent on being able to land an inverted trick before I die, but as I get older and older, I start to wonder. I'll check out OWC.

My teenager has visited The Wake Board Camp at Clairmont for three separate weeks in the last two years. He has nothing but good things to say about it. BUT, he has nothing to compare it to...he has not been to any other wake board schools.

I second the wakeboard camp. Kyle Schmidt and the other coaches are absolutely amazing instructors.

Plus they have a fleet of Malibu's

Darin Shapiro @ Ride the Spot uses a 23LSV and a VLX as well. Travis Moye I believe is Mastercraft through and through and OWC uses Nautiques.

If we had had more time I would have gone to either Ride the Spot, The Boarding School or The Wakeboard Camp. But since our time was tight and OWC was close, we just did that. It was cool and easy, but I would have tried one of the bigger spots if we had more time. It may come down to who has availability at the time you want/need as some of these guys book up early this time of year.

Edited by jshap