Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

One of our own

Guest GalaxyToad

Guest GalaxyToad

Some of you know that skisix is a highly sought after ski instructor. I ran into an honorable mention at the highest levels, thought I'd share since it's one of our own.....

Hello Skiers,

In this newsletter I'll mention a 16 year old skier who set a Ski Paradise record, plus a lot of firsts for a group out of the mid-West. I'll also mention another binding system that allows you to move the bindings in very minute amounts. I'll mention why I think this is the most difficult sport in the world to learn. Lastly, I'll have a nice poem by guests from Colorado who were here this past week.

A New Ski Paradise Record

16 year old Marti Guidotti set a new Ski Paradise record by running the slalom course in 6 days! She made her first deep water start on Sunday morning and ran all 6 buoys in the slalom course at 25 mph on Friday afternoon on about the 15th pass of her third set. The crowd at the palapa was watching every pass and counting every buoy. We all let out a big cheer as she was coming towards the palapa on her last pass and rounded that five ball in great shape and made it around 6!!!!!! Congratulations to Marti. Also, congratulations to her father Rich, who was here showing Marti that there is more to Spring Break than partying with people your own age. Marti went home with a lot of new jokes as well. It was a great job of coaching by Brett Yager and Greg Scherer. Thanks, guys.

Other Firsts

We had a large contingent from the mid-West this past week and there were several firsts for the group:

1st massage

1st salmon and sea bass dinners

1st stamp on a passport

1st bungy jump

1st swim with dolphins

1st, 2nd ,3rd, trips to Costco

1st time being in a Suburban that backed into a palm tree ($5 fine for the driver)

1st fall off a swim platform ( another $5 fine)

1st time driving in a foreign country

1st earthquake at 1:00 am last night (it was a 5.1, the biggest here in a long time.)

Fogman Binding System

I was informed by Seth Stisher and Adam Cochran that the Fogman bindings also allow you to move your binders in very minute amounts. If anyone wants more information on the Fogman's just contact Seth at: www.waterskitrainer.com

Practicing What I Preach and Why Water Skiing is so Difficult to Master

I have encouraged a few regular guests to put duct tape on the tip of their ski with simple reminders written on the tape. I have, for the first time, done the same. Mine says, "Less is Better", "Advance the ski", and "If the pass was hard, the gates are the problem".

One of the tough things about this sport is how little we can practice it. With only about 20 shortline passes maximum available in a day (because of warm water taking a toll on the hands and the body just plain getting tired), one does not get to practice as much as one would like. Making an analogy with golf, imagine golfers hitting five hundred balls in a day or putting for an hour. They can practice for 8 hours. Skiers just can't practice that long. It is no wonder why this is the most difficult sport in the world to learn. We can only practice for minutes a day!

Here is another example: if the top skiers are holding on to a 600 lb. pull from the boat at each turn and one makes 6 turns with each pass through the slalom course, that is 3600 lbs. of pressure per pass. If a top skier makes 6 complete passes in a slalom set, that is over 10 tons of pull from the boat in about 5 - 8 minutes. Now this is not static weight. It is dynamic (changing) weight. This is what I call 'the jumping on the scale effect.' You might weigh 150 lbs and you jump on a scale and get the scale to move to 300 lbs. In the slalom course your body takes that pressure for a split second. I am sure those more familiar than I am with physics can give you a better explanation, but that is basically why, in my opinion, our sport is the most difficult sport in the world to master. [Of course, I am a little biased.]

GR

A New Ski Paradise Record

16 year old Marti Guidotti set a new Ski Paradise record by running the slalom course in 6 days! She made her first deep water start on Sunday morning and ran all 6 buoys in the slalom course at 25 mph on Friday afternoon on about the 15th pass of her third set. The crowd at the palapa was watching every pass and counting every buoy. We all let out a big cheer as she was coming towards the palapa on her last pass and rounded that five ball in great shape and made it around 6!!!!!! Congratulations to Marti. Also, congratulations to her father Rich, who was here showing Marti that there is more to Spring Break than partying with people your own age. Marti went home with a lot of new jokes as well. It was a great job of coaching by Brett Yager and Greg Scherer. Thanks, guys.

thats amazing! thats more like a world record! Thumbup.gif she is either a natural or skisix is a great coach ;)

Marti did a great job of absorbing the instruction both Brett and I gave her... Plus, we didn't have a lo tof bad habits to break down first Rockon.gif

It was a great time and the skiing was great! A wonderful way to start a new season and be ahead of the game. Thankfully, my workout plan before I went to Mexico worked great, I had no muscle soreness and my hands survived the 2-3 sets/day I skied. Now, I have to put a drysuit back on :(

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone gone to Ski Paradise for a week of instruction?

We are thinking of going there next year during Feb. My wife doesn't ski so was wondering if there are things for her to do. She mostly likes to sit by the pool or ocean reading books and sipping on a drink, ie. relaxing. I am a definite novice at slalom skiing, but they say on their website that most of those that go are in my category. Is that correct?

It sure looks like a nice place to go to get away from the clouds and rain here during the winter.

Has anyone gone to Ski Paradise for a week of instruction?

We are thinking of going there next year during Feb. My wife doesn't ski so was wondering if there are things for her to do. She mostly likes to sit by the pool or ocean reading books and sipping on a drink, ie. relaxing. I am a definite novice at slalom skiing, but they say on their website that most of those that go are in my category. Is that correct?

It sure looks like a nice place to go to get away from the clouds and rain here during the winter.

I think you both would have a great time. There were several wives in my group that weren't skiers and they had just as much fun as everybody else. The Villa is great and has a wonderful view and pool and a game room. The ski site has a large covered area and couches and chairs, the beach is about a 10 min. walk away. About 50% of the group I taught hadn't been through the course. The weather was awesome!

I think you both would have a great time. There were several wives in my group that weren't skiers and they had just as much fun as everybody else. The Villa is great and has a wonderful view and pool and a game room. The ski site has a large covered area and couches and chairs, the beach is about a 10 min. walk away. About 50% of the group I taught hadn't been through the course. The weather was awesome!

Thanks. It looks like this may happen and I'm excited for it already.

I have a good group of friends that are pretty good serious slalom skiers that want to go next year and want me to join them. I have been through the course a number of times and can only make the novice balls at 15 off, but think this would be a good way to improve. In addition the group of friends have recently dispersed across the nation, so this would get us back together. One or two of the other wives doesn't ski either, so my wife could hang with them.