Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New (old) boat is home - some q's

dew.man

Well, I picked up my 01 WS LSV last week, and finally had a chance to really go through her this weekend, and ended up with more questions than answers :unsure:

Bought er from a private party (not dealer) with 252 hours. The previous owner was not at all mechanically inclined, but did have her serviced by a local (to him) shop, and had records to prove it. There was nothing out of the ordinary in the receipts - just routine maintenance. Perhaps I should have become more suspicious when I initially looked at her and saw that there was no break fluid in the master cylinder. But then I figured that the first section of break line that had rusted completely off was not that big a deal, and the rest of the trailer, along with the boat itself looked clean Whistling.gif

Anyways, I hooked her up to a hose (through the Flush Pro), and she fired right up. Everything looked good, and she showed about 48 - 52 psi oil pressure at 700 rpm on the MSCAN digital display. That's when I started finding the little (or maybe not so little - you tell me) "issues":

The MSCAN, does not appear to be working. I press the T button, and nothing. I can toggle throught the one screen that lets me adjust contrast, or show engine parameters, but that's about all it'll do. Are there any "typical" MSCAN problems that I can look for? What does it take (or how much) to switch out the MSCAN for the analog gauges?

One of the speedo pick-ups does not appear to be working. When the boat is running, it was showing 20mph. If I toggle the little left/right switch over to the right side pick-up, it dropped to 0, but when I switch it to the middle or the left, the speedo showed 20. Could this be a simple kink in the line?

Also, there's a black, round plug/connector on the fuel tank (I think it's the sending unit) that is seaping gas. I tried to tighten down the screws that hold it, but that didn't seem to help. Can I pull it and use some RTV/sealant around it, or do I need to replace the whole thing?

And one other thing that bothers me - the red warning light by the breakers stays on even though the MSCAN shows good pressure. I pushed the idle up to about 1500 where the MSCAN was showing 55psi, but the light stayed on?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but this is my first Bu (had several other brands over the years), and I'm a bit overwhelmed ;)

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions !!!

Edited by dew.man
One of the speedo pick-ups does not appear to be working. When the boat is running, it was showing 20mph. If I toggle the little left/right switch over to the right side pick-up, it dropped to 0, but when I switch it to the middle or the left, the speedo showed 20. Could this be a simple kink in the line?

I'd suggest one of your pitots is clogged, the left side one that is reading 20. The way the speedo system works is when on the center position, the speedo will display from the pickup that is reading highest (fastest), hence the center and left position displaying 20.

If you were out on the lake, with the switch in the center (both) position, your speedo would "work" once you got over 20 MPH (the right side pickup would start registering). Does this make any sense? Your left side pickup is clogged with "20 MPH of pressure" inside the lines.

The same thing has happened to me. Disconnect the tubing from the left side pitot, and I bet you'll see water run out and the speedo display drop to zero. Use a paper clip to clean out the pitot, and reconnect.

Enjoy your new boat...

Edited by rts
I'd suggest one of your pitots is clogged, the left side one that is reading 20. The way the speedo system works is when on the center position, the speedo will display from the pickup that is reading highest (fastest), hence the center and left position displaying 20.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but was looking for some confirmation Crazy.gif

Also, there's a black, round plug/connector on the fuel tank (I think it's the sending unit) that is seaping gas. I tried to tighten down the screws that hold it, but that didn't seem to help. Can I pull it and use some RTV/sealant around it, or do I need to replace the whole thing?

I had this problem with my old Bu and I had to remove the hose from the pick-up and the speedo. Then I got the air compressor out and I shot some air through it to clear it out. It was pretty easy, my old boat had the simple tubes that went directly to the speedo (dual speedos).

I now have a 00 Response LX and mine leaked after about 2 years. Dontknow.gif I contacted my dealer and I got a new rubber seal for the sending unit. They said they don't normally do that for customers, but when I went out back to the garage with my sales guy, they had a drawer full of these things. I am sure its common otherwise they wouldnt have 20 in a drawer! Crazy.gif Oh and by the way, it was easy to change out.

Well, the speedo prob is not going to be that simple :(

I disconnected the hose both at the pitot, as well as at the MSCAN, and it still showed 20mph on the port side. This, combined with the fact that pressing the T button on the multi-gauge does not toggle between menus, leads me to suspect a faulty module Cry.gif

On a separate note, the hull of my boat is looking ruff around the keel as it looks like the previous owner ran er up on the beach quite a bit. There are numerous deep scratches, and one spot where it's scratched through to about 2 inches of black material underneath the gelcoat. What is the proper way to repair this type of damage? Is there marine body filler that can be easily applied? Does it need to be gel-coated afterwards?

Well, the speedo prob is not going to be that simple :(

I disconnected the hose both at the pitot, as well as at the MSCAN, and it still showed 20mph on the port side. This, combined with the fact that pressing the T button on the multi-gauge does not toggle between menus, leads me to suspect a faulty module Cry.gif

Did you disconnect BOTH pitot's? On my 99, the port Pitot was the Starboard Speedo, and the starboard Pitot was connected to the Port Speedo.

Just a thought.

Did you disconnect BOTH pitot's? On my 99, the port Pitot was the Starboard Speedo, and the starboard Pitot was connected to the Port Speedo.

I wish it were that simple :)

I disconnected both lines at the MMDC, and it was still showing 20mph on the port side. At this point, I suspect that at the least, I will be replacing the MMDC, and possibly the digital display/controller as well.

The good news, is that there's a depth module and even a gps module that will hopefully become operable once those things are done Biggrin.gif