Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gel Coat Repair in Sacramento?? Doh!!!

rbetts

Well, I took the boat out today for the first time this year. All was great until I got the boat home and backed it into my new garage. I lowered the tower and began backing. I have racks that prevent me from lowering the tower any lower than the gunnals. I rest the tower and racks on towels on the gunnals, so no big deal. This time, everyone went in side so I backed the boat in by myself. The garage door opener safety rope caught the tower and began lifting. I didn't see this until it was too late. The rope dropped the tower onto the towels from about 4 feet and bounced the tower and racks off the towels (which fell) and then the gunnals took the direct hit. Mad.gif One side had not a scratch, dent or ding. Yahoo.gif Sadly the other side chipped a thumbnail size portion of the inner edge next to the vinyl to the fiberglass Cry.gif . Both racks bent in, but that was an easy fix. So, whose got the best repair shop around? Do I take it to Ultimate Watersports or to someone else. Help!!!

I recommend James from ultimate watersports in Vacaville Ca. He is one of the best in Nor Cal. He does all my work. Pricey but well worth it.

You may want to call Boat Country in Escalon and ask for the number to the gel coat shop they used. I used them to repair my Gel coat after we ran over a log last summer. When I got the boat back it looked perfect. I would highly recommed them.

That was me! Getting the boat out and tested for the upcoming year! Man what a PITA, a stupid little rope with a plastic hand hold at the end crackin my friggin gelcoat AARRGGHH!!! The rope held the tower up enough to drop it pretty good. (Sigh)

Edited by rbetts
That was me! Getting the boat out and tested for the upcoming year! Man what a PITA, a stupid little rope with a plastic hand hold at the end crackin my friggin gelcoat AARRGGHH!!! The rope held the tower up enough to drop it pretty good. (Sigh)

I thought it was, we were D-Gooses' boat.

That sux!

I also had work done by Boat Country in Escolon. I believe the company they use is called Smooth as Glass. They did a great job on some fairly extensive gel coat work to my 02 VLX back in 2003/2004.

I also had work done by Boat Country in Escolon. I believe the company they use is called Smooth as Glass.They did a great job on some fairly extensive gel coat work to my 02 VLX back in 2003/2004.

They're in Riverbank. 2808 Patterson Rd. 95367

209-869-3545

They did a real good job on my brother in laws boat and have lot's of experience with hi end boats. I always see nice off shore boats over there.

I also had work done by Boat Country in Escolon. I believe the company they use is called Smooth as Glass. They did a great job on some fairly extensive gel coat work to my 02 VLX back in 2003/2004.

I will third this vote (or is it fourth) for Smooth as Glass. They do amazing work at that shop.

If it makes you feel any better......

I know how you feel....I went all of last season with my new boat without putting a scratch on it. In October I took my birthday off and some friends were going to meet me at the lake to celebrate. I had to stop for gas on the way but when I pulled in all of the pumps on the port side (I always fill on the port side) were being used. No big deal right...just put gas in the other side. So I finish up and head on to the lake which was about a 35-40 minute ride. When I got there my friends still had not arrived so I began getting the boat ready. When I walked around to the starboard side guess what I saw? My gas cap hanging by the chain!! I somehow forgot to put it back on and it bounced around against the side of my boat all the way to the lake! Cry.gif Happy birthday to me! I felt like such an idiot. I don't know why the chain didn't break.....anyway I have a bunch of nice chips above the rubrail beside the cap. I believe they can be wet sanded but the maintenance guy at my dealer thinks some of the chips may require gel. Oh well....it was bound to happen I guess sooner or later....just wish I could blame someone else besides myself! Good luck with the repair!

I'll Get some pictures up tomorrow and let ya'll know how it goes. Thanks for the input!

Edited by rbetts