Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Scarpa Plate

taymac9

Has any one installed a scarpa plate in place of the wedge?

Dose it bolt right on or do new holes have to be drilled?

The SSP bolts right on.

I picked up an interesting piece of info on the ssp while skiing at Scarpa's last week....they haven't adapted the SSP to the new (2007) Rlxi as of yet.

He had a plate on an '07 when I was there in December. It was the old plate and bracket though. Nothing new at that point. Rumor I hear is the '07 wake is no good for footing even with the plate. Anybody else hear anything?

Edited by St. Ellis
He had a plate on an '07 when I was there in December. It was the old plate and bracket though. Nothing new at that point. Rumor I hear is the '07 wake is no good for footing even with the plate. Anybody else hear anything?

Not sure about that, but one thing I do know for sure: I want no part of attempting to cross that wake as it is now. No.gif

If you really want to do some crossing, you'd better pack lots of pain relief!

Maybe it was just coincidence but we skied long line behind the Flightcraft... when we were in the RLXi everyone skied on the boom... including Ron!... :)

BTW: that's my barefoot suit he is wearing!... Thumbup.gif

post-88-1175515095_thumb.jpg

This thread brings up a question that I have had for quite some time. That is, how much does the SSP help the wake on a pre 07 RLXI? I am primarily a barefooter, however, since my friends also like to wakeboard I went with the wedge. I think the wake is decent as is, but what am I missing?

Thanks.

I can't speak personally to barefooting long line with the plate on because I simply haven't done it. But, I can say that it changes the wake drastically to the point that it makes it awful for slalom.

I fully planned to add the plate to mine until I slalomed behind a 2004 RLXi with the plate and that made my decision easy. I ski 75% and foot maybe 25% and I wasn't going to destroy the slalom wake for a better barefoot wake.

Mike

I can't speak personally to barefooting long line with the plate on because I simply haven't done it. But, I can say that it changes the wake drastically to the point that it makes it awful for slalom.

I fully planned to add the plate to mine until I slalomed behind a 2004 RLXi with the plate and that made my decision easy. I ski 75% and foot maybe 25% and I wasn't going to destroy the slalom wake for a better barefoot wake.

Mike

Mike:

That is good to know as well since I was unaware that the plate had any noticeable effect on the slalom wake.

Matt.

That is interesting. I skied mine into 32 off and loved it. I thought it was a little better than without. Maybe the one you skied wasn't set right... maybe mine wasn't for that matter. It was smoking for footing though.

Keep in mind that while I'm a fan of Ron Scarpa, his video presentation et al for setting the plate is way too much in my and other more experienced barefooters opinion. The plate CAN be flexed down too much, effectively screwing up both slalom and barefoot wakes. You want to flex it down so that you can see a subtle difference and feel a better difference, and while its pretty obvious to me when you go too far, I've seen some inexperienced folks just set it and assume it's a better, since they followed someone's instructions. You have to take the time to fine tune it to your liking.

Peter.

Peter -

How far do you crank it down on a Pre 07 Lxi? I have mine set to Scarpa's specifications and I'm still getting a bit of a rooster tail. I thought the plate had a much better effect on my Rlx.

• 2 months later...

I ski with a guy that is the promo barefooter for the Midwest and he has a 07 RLXI. What a beautiful boat with lots of power, but the wake is TERRIBLE EVEN WITH THE NEW SSP! There is a rooster that you have to go through to cross the wake that really gives you a ride. Very dissapointing that they can't get it any better than that, especially since this is Malibu's "Barefoot Boat".

Maybe he has the plate set wrong. One of my ski buddies has a 2006 and it is as good as any direct drive that I have ever footed behind including a Sanger. No rooster tail at all, very flat, and very little turbulence. Is the hull the same for 2007 the same as 2006?

Maybe he has the plate set wrong. One of my ski buddies has a 2006 and it is as good as any direct drive that I have ever footed behind including a Sanger. No rooster tail at all, very flat, and very little turbulence. Is the hull the same for 2007 the same as 2006?

That's interesting. I must need to do some fine tuning with the plate on my 05.

That's interesting. I must need to do some fine tuning with the plate on my 05.

I've only skied long line behind it once. I made a couple of back passes and forward passes. Wake crosses were a piece of cake on two feet front or backward. I'll have to admit that I don't do one foot wake crosses. I know that you do and the wake may be a little less kind to you. It was the closest thing to my old Flightcraft in an inboard that I have experienced. The owner bought it from a promo footer in Florida. The plate was set up and used in the Florida regional tournament last year. If you want to come to southeast Missouri some weekend we could have some footin' fun.

Bill,

Please, let me know exactly how he has that '06 set up, one of my skiing buddy has one and it is nothing like a Sanger!... We don't even ski behind it.