Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 Malibu Response LXI

Cougar1

I don't know where else to go and maybe you guys can send me in the right direction.

I am currently in the market for a boat. I have my eyes on a 2006 Malibu Response LXI. Here is the kicker though. It has a lot of hours and was being used buy a Ski Club. 628 hours to be exact. I think someone must have lived on it or something lol. It boggles my mind that anyone could use that much boat in 1 years time. Here are the list of options and the price. A dozen people told me not to worry about the hours. Some say I will catch up in the next few years. Others say 5-6 year old boats in my area have 2000-2500 hours without major issues arising. I got to test drive it today on a private lake and it was awesome. It started instantly, throttle response was like a new boat. It really hauled butt and handled in the water like nobodys business. The wind was blowing pretty good part of the test and I got to drive in chop and it handled much better then expected. Once the wind died down I checked out the wake with the perfect pass and it held nicely. I deployed the wedge and checked out the wakeboarding wake and was plesantly surprised with what I saw. It was nice rampy wakes. I slalom ski 60% of the time behind an old direct drive and the other 40% I am divided up with wakeboarding and wakesurfing behind a friends 2006 Centurion Avalanche. Obviously nothing in comparison to size. But they were rampy and clean.

Monsoon 340 h.p.

Wakeboard Tower

Driver Seat heater

Three outlet heater

Pop up pow light

Pull up cleats

Jump Seat

Wedge

Perfect Pass digital pro

Depth finder

Silent Rider Muffler

Sony CD Player

Fiberglass Swim platform

Boat buddy

Pivot Hitch

Spare tire w/ mount

Snap down travel cover

$32,000

Can anyone share their thoughts? I really like the boat. The carpet has considerable wear, but nothing horrible and no rips or scratches on the vinyl or gelcoat.

thanks,

Kevin

That's a lot of hours for that price. Check out this link. It's an article by David Pasco on marine engines. He claims average marine v-8 gasser is about 900 hours before repower. I checked with my father (boat dealer and marine mechanic), and he says average pleasure-boat v-8 in fresh water application is about 1100 hours. While some certainly last longer, boats don't coast at speed, they are always under a load, and I wouldn't bet the farm that the engine is going to last past 1100 without an overhaul.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/GasDiesel.htm

Generally, they say minimum of close to 2k hours on an engine (provided all maintenance is done on schedule & done correctly) before you even need to think about a rebuild. YMMV of course, but I'd be very surprised at either the 900 hour or 1100 hour statements - I've seen too many boats that have run way beyond that to think that's even close to accurate. But I do agree that it's probably too high for the amount of hours, regardless of the options.

Which tower?

A new RLXi loaded lists approaching 60K

You're 20K below any deal, and Indmar engines last forever

A ski club with only one boat can rack up hours, but what is $20K worth?

Say you put 200 hours on it in next 4-5 years, save 20K, if it looks good and feels good, do it.

LXI is a great boat for ski, and wedge and a few friends make boarding reasonable.

Edited by skilvr

I'd go along with the mighty WakeGirl on this one without doubt. I've never done a rebuild on a sub 2000 hr engine, and there is many schools with that sort of time on the clock. I'm fully aware of the loads on marine engines, although I'm betting a ski boat (okay, tradional 3 event boat, not a W247 with 8000 lbs of ballast) is actually pretty easy on the engine, provided the oil is changed, good gas is used, and the fuel filter is changed religiously.

I was going to chime in earlier on the 32k price for a 2006, and say go buy it. I've got a 2005 and 2006 available, both loaded with towers and very few hours, but you need to be up at 40k or more for either one.

Peter

If the 628 hrs. are all slalom and footin runs, which are typical for clubs, then I'd be concerned. The Monsoon does not really work that hard with just regular skiing. If maintanance was also kept up I would not hesitate to buy a boat with 600+ hours on an inboard engine. I wish my Rlxi had 600 hours on the clock, and the clock stops if the motor is not running, even with the key on.

Edited by electricjohn
I'd go along with the mighty WakeGirl on this one without doubt. I've never done a rebuild on a sub 2000 hr engine, and there is many schools with that sort of time on the clock. I'm fully aware of the loads on marine engines, although I'm betting a ski boat (okay, tradional 3 event boat, not a W247 with 8000 lbs of ballast) is actually pretty easy on the engine, provided the oil is changed, good gas is used, and the fuel filter is changed religiously.

I was going to chime in earlier on the 32k price for a 2006, and say go buy it. I've got a 2005 and 2006 available, both loaded with towers and very few hours, but you need to be up at 40k or more for either one.

Peter

For some reason I was thinking that this was an '04 (Moron Moment, sorry). With it being an '06, it may be fair price.

Price seems high to me for the hours. For a few grand more you can get a 2005 or 2006 with 100 - 200 hours on it without having to look around too much.

Mike

Which tower?

A new RLXi loaded lists approaching 60K

You're 20K below any deal, and Indmar engines last forever

The ski club likely had the boat idling, or engine off with key on, between sets (don't want to lose those perfect pass settings by turning the key to 'off') to account for hours. A ski club with only one boat can rack up hours, but what is $20K worth?

Say you put 200 hours on it in next 4-5 years, save 20K, if it looks good and feels good, do it.

LXI is a great boat for ski, and wedge and a few friends make boarding reasonable.

Well I am not sure which tower. Let me post the link and maybe you could tell me. It doesn't look anything like the new 2007 boats and towers.

http://www.gettommys.com/cart.cfm?cart_act...7C-0F9EDAA12CFB

Thanks for all your help.

Peter

Yeah, I am pretty certain rebuilds are 2000-2500 hours. I have talked to several that have more. I had totally intended to buy the boat, but the interest rates have gone way up since the boat show. I set very strict guidelines for this purchase. Basically everytime I buy something I way overshoot my intended price and options. I have very little willpower when it comes to toys. I wanted the 42" LCD TV, but i got the one the size of a small car. I wanted a middle of the row truck and I got the top of the line. I wanted new furniture for my living room and got the whole house. I get sucked into sales and deals. I just love expensive toys.

Price seems high to me for the hours. For a few grand more you can get a 2005 or 2006 with 100 - 200 hours on it without having to look around too much.

Mike

yeah I think so too. I have looked all over the US and found boats same price for 1/3 of the hours. However, not a single one has a tower and the options. So based on what I found... I would need an extra 5500 in cash just to have the installed upgrades to match. So it isn't that bad of a deal, but I refuse to pay these rediculous interest rates. I hope nobody gives me the I have to pay to play crap. I don't have to get robbed to have a nice boat. And I certainly don't want to pay cash for it.

I know that boat. It's from Kodiak Ski Lake near Aspen. It is very well taken care of. This is there forth year with a new Malibu. All the others have had no issues. It is very much a three event club with rec. type boarders using the boat also, no additional weight is allowed.

I think the price is very fair. A typical promo boat (125 hrs.) with the same options will sell for 10 -13K more in Colorado.

Also the trailer is used only for transport to and from Denver (2 total yearly) and for oil changes. Get Tommy's to change the oil, filters and water pump impellor and you should be good to go for a long, long time.

Dwayne

I know that boat. It's from Kodiak Ski Lake near Aspen. It is very well taken care of. This is there forth year with a new Malibu. All the others have had no issues. It is very much a three event club with rec. type boarders using the boat also, no additional weight is allowed.

I think the price is very fair. A typical promo boat (125 hrs.) with the same options will sell for 10 -13K more in Colorado.

Also the trailer is used only for transport to and from Denver (2 total yearly) and for oil changes. Get Tommy's to change the oil, filters and water pump impellor and you should be good to go for a long, long time.

Dwayne

Dwayne.. Thanks so much for chiming in here. I am glad to find someone with first hand experience with this boat. I definitely agree that the trailer shows very little sign of use. Actually, it looks brand new. Tommy's shop agreed to change the oil, tranmission service, and shampoo the carpets. The impeller was supposedly changed when it was delivered.

So what makes boats so expensive here? All dealers are that way? Lack of competition or lack of sales?

Kevin

I noticed my post didn't jive with the rest of the posts re: expected number of hours. I didn't want to put out any misinformation so I did some checking. Most of the articles I found on the internet suggest that 1000 to 1500 hours is the expected average longevity of a fresh water inboard, although I couldn't find any that dealt specifically with a towboat application--mostly cruisers, etc.

Then I e-mailed Indmar and ask what the expected number of hours are on a properly maintained 5.7l v-8 in a towboat application. This was the response:

"That is a tough one to answer. Generally we start to see the need to for an upper end overhaul (piston rings and valve job) at somewhere around 2500- 3000 hours. The average boater uses the boat less than 100 hours a year. At 100 hours a year well you can do the math. Generally speaking, very few people ever wear out their engines if they maintain them properly.

Larry Engelbert

Indmar Service"

So I called my father and asked: what gives? Can you get 2500 to 3000 hours out of a V-8 without a rebuild?

His response was "Absolutely." But he reminded me that my question to him earlier was "on average." He said, on average--consistent with opinion of Mr. Engelbert--the average pleasure boat owner uses the boat about 100 hours per year. And the average boater also lets it sit over the winter. His explaination about average use was that time is a bigger enemy of engine life than actual hours and that letting it sit for any extended period of time increases the rate at which the engine wears when it is running. He says that on average, the the first rebuild on a fresh water use inboard enginge he typically sees is on a boat that is 10 to 12 years old, with about 11 to 1200 hours on it. He also said it wouldn't surprise him to see a 5 year old boat with 2500 hours on it that had been continually used, i.e., ran at least once a week 52 weeks a year, and with all regular mainatence performed properly that hadn't been rebuilt. So it sounds to me like number of hours isn't all that relevant until you know how old the boat is and how it was used and cared for.

All this said, it sounds like 600 hours on a one year old boat isn't that big of a deal if they changed the oil. Furthermore, It doesn't sound like an upper-end rebuild down the road would be that big of a deal if you buy the boat for a good price.

Sorry about the length of the post, and take it for what it's worth--just more words typed in from a random guy on the internet.

Jack

One other thing to consider is resale down the road. When you decide to sell it, the hours may scare off many potential buyers. You will find someone to buy it, but it may take a while and it may be for a lower price than you wanted. I am sure you will want to upgrade at some point so it is something to think about.

Dwayne

Dwayne.. Thanks so much for chiming in here. I am glad to find someone with first hand experience with this boat. I definitely agree that the trailer shows very little sign of use. Actually, it looks brand new. Tommy's shop agreed to change the oil, tranmission service, and shampoo the carpets. The impeller was supposedly changed when it was delivered.

So what makes boats so expensive here? All dealers are that way? Lack of competition or lack of sales?

Kevin

Kevin,

Boats are just expensive. Dealers here make the same or less than other markets for profit. One thing that is higher cost, shipping. Each boat costs $1200-$1500 to ship from California. Think about shipping to Salt Lake, Phoenix or Boise, its about half of that. When you look at a map of the Malibu dealers, Denver is in the middle of nowhere. It's alot like being in Canada.

As for the hours on the boat, fuel injection/engine managment and all composite construction have made this a whole new ball game. I have never seen anybody wear out a newer tournament boat, I have seen them abused to death. Even then a little TLC and they usually are great boats. Now the old carbed motors that like to wash the cylinder walls with gas on every start would have lasted 1500 hrs, but the new ones should last much longer.

You could wait until the end of the summer and buy my promo boat with 125 hrs on it. 45K You can even come out with us and put some of those hours on it.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

I definitely understand that things can be expensive. yeah, I never thought about freight, but truly we all know how much shipping costs, so that only holds a little water. Your right, I guess I can't say I have known anyone who has worn out a tournament boat. Just out of curiousity.. any idea how much it costs to do an engine replacement?

So by chance did I see your promo boat at their shop a week or two ago... Yellow/Black with the Hammerhead? Brian said it was a promo boat and it was bad a**!! I love that color scheme. Damn nice choice if it was yours. Keep me in mind when you go to sell it, I might be ready to buy it up.

Thanks for all your help.

Kevin

Edited by Cougar1

Kevin, to replace a long block with brand new from Indmar is about $4000. To rebuild, it depends what is wrong. Maybe $1500-2500.

I was not posting for any other reason than to say that, don't let 600+ hours scare you away. I think 32K for a year old RLXi with a tower and all the other options this boat has is a steal.

That was not my boat. Mine is blue and white with a differant tower.

Good Luck,

Dwayne

I don't know where else to go and maybe you guys can send me in the right direction.

I am currently in the market for a boat. I have my eyes on a 2006 Malibu Response LXI. Here is the kicker though. It has a lot of hours and was being used buy a Ski Club. 628 hours to be exact. I think someone must have lived on it or something lol. It boggles my mind that anyone could use that much boat in 1 years time. Here are the list of options and the price. A dozen people told me not to worry about the hours. Some say I will catch up in the next few years. Others say 5-6 year old boats in my area have 2000-2500 hours without major issues arising. I got to test drive it today on a private lake and it was awesome. It started instantly, throttle response was like a new boat. It really hauled butt and handled in the water like nobodys business. The wind was blowing pretty good part of the test and I got to drive in chop and it handled much better then expected. Once the wind died down I checked out the wake with the perfect pass and it held nicely. I deployed the wedge and checked out the wakeboarding wake and was plesantly surprised with what I saw. It was nice rampy wakes. I slalom ski 60% of the time behind an old direct drive and the other 40% I am divided up with wakeboarding and wakesurfing behind a friends 2006 Centurion Avalanche. Obviously nothing in comparison to size. But they were rampy and clean.

Monsoon 340 h.p.

Wakeboard Tower

Driver Seat heater

Three outlet heater

Pop up pow light

Pull up cleats

Jump Seat

Wedge

Perfect Pass digital pro

Depth finder

Silent Rider Muffler

Sony CD Player

Fiberglass Swim platform

Boat buddy

Pivot Hitch

Spare tire w/ mount

Snap down travel cover

$32,000

Can anyone share their thoughts? I really like the boat. The carpet has considerable wear, but nothing horrible and no rips or scratches on the vinyl or gelcoat.

thanks,

Kevin

Check NADA or Kelley Blue Book for the suggested retail price for the sale of that used boat.

Also, I would ask how many seasons the boat was run. I don't know if Malibu put out a 2006 in 2005.

I bought my 2003 Response LX from as a dealer promo, in September of 2003, with 57 hrs on it, pretty well equipped, no tower, trailer included for $28,000. Granted, that was 3 years ago; but, the prices haven't moved that much. I think that the $32,000 sounds a little high for that many hours. I use my boat about 110 to 130 hrs a year; so, that boat has the equivelant of 5 years of use on it, no matter how you want to rationalize it. What would you pay for a 5 year old boat? That is the question you have to ask yourself.

SKIALL6!!!

It is four years since you bought your RLX and it is a completly differant animal.

I disagree that it is like buying a 5 year old boat. It only has one season, but the lake sells one hour per week memberships for $2000(it is near Aspen) so the lake members never miss there time slot and it is always sold out.

NADA

High Value = $41,500

Low Value = $37,250

I don't like NADA values for boats because they do not show alot of the detail. Even with that it is still a very good deal.

Dwayne

I bought my 2003 Response LX...for $28,000. Granted, that was 3 years ago; but, the prices haven't moved that much. I think that the $32,000 sounds a little high for that many hours.
It has more hours but it's a Rlxi not a Rlx. The Rlxi base price is about $5000 more plus it has a tower + $ 3000 so if your Rlx ($28K) had been a Rlxi (+5000) with a tower (+3000) it would have cost you $36K...minus $4K for the higher hours... Biggrin.gif ...how's that for comparing apples and oranges. :lol: $32K sounds like a fair price, not a screaming deal, but a fair price.

Monsoon 340 h.p.

Wakeboard Tower

Driver Seat heater

Three outlet heater

Pop up pow light

Pull up cleats

Jump Seat

Wedge

Perfect Pass digital pro

Depth finder

Silent Rider Muffler

Sony CD Player

Fiberglass Swim platform

Boat buddy

Pivot Hitch

Spare tire w/ mount

Snap down travel cover

$32,000

thanks,

Kevin

I could help you out on that if you want to come to Oregon, I have a RLXI with only about 125 hours for 38k. It has everything list except boat buddy and wake board tower.

Wally