Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailering with a Shrink Wrap Plastic cover

BuFootin

Hey Crew,

Anyone ever trailer their Bu long distance (approx 1000-2000 Miles) with a plastic shrink wrap cover on it. I'm moving my 2005 RLXi cross country soon and thought about shrink wrapping it with plastic for the journey. Mainly to protect the interior against road grim, weather, etc. I don't have a fabric trailerable cover. Would like to hear from anyone that has experience with this to see how the shrink wrap covers hold up? any scratching of the gel coat by the plastic rubbing/flapping in the wind? other things to consider?

I am sorry that I can't provide first hand experience, but that technique is widely used by most major boat manufacturers. I think around here it runs about $10 a foot to do it, and if you talked to the people doing it, they may be able to extend it down farther on the bow to protect from rock chips that almost always occur when trailering for any distance. I would say that is the BEST possible scenario for your trailering needs, IMHO. I would be skeptical of even the most high end cloth fitted cover for that distance, but that is just ME. You shrink wrap that puppy and it should not flap in the wind and will be just that...SHRUNK wrapped around every contour of the boat and should be perfect.

I hope this helps your confidence and best of luck on the big tow!

Hey Crew,

Anyone ever trailer their Bu long distance (approx 1000-2000 Miles) with a plastic shrink wrap cover on it. I'm moving my 2005 RLXi cross country soon and thought about shrink wrapping it with plastic for the journey. Mainly to protect the interior against road grim, weather, etc. I don't have a fabric trailerable cover. Would like to hear from anyone that has experience with this to see how the shrink wrap covers hold up? any scratching of the gel coat by the plastic rubbing/flapping in the wind? other things to consider?

A few years ago I had my Response LX trailered from CA to PA. Had it shrink wrapped before it left for $150 and it was the best money I've ever spent on the boat. When it arrived in PA the exterior was a complete mess; road grime was everywhere. When I removed the shrikwrap the interior was as spotless as when they put it on. There were minor scuff marks in a few places where the shrinkwrap material was bunched up but they rubbed out easliy enough.

For the latest move, PA to TX, I towed with the Rankin cover and it worked just as well.

Edited by Clay

We towed ours from Merced CA to OKC last year and it worked great. I wouldn't use my covercraft or a rankin cover for a really long haul.

post-574-1175350823_thumb.jpg

You can see in the pic that we wrapped the trailer before we took it to CA too.

I am haveing mine wrapped next week before a 1600 mile pull to Salt Lake. Last year I did the same thing. This is the only way to go!

Thanks a bunch folks....I think you've talked me into it. I'm going from Texas to Idaho and I hate the thought of my Bu getting trashed by road grim and rock chips. So I will be "wrapping that rascal"

Greatly appreciate the comments and advice.

See if your dealer has one of the travel covers that the factory uses when they ship the boats out, (most of the time they get cut off the boat and thrown away). It's hard to see the one on my boat but the ones in front have them. I've used that cover for storage and traveling with great success.

th_HPIM1185.jpg

See if your dealer has one of the travel covers that the factory uses when they ship the boats out, (most of the time they get cut off the boat and thrown away). It's hard to see the one on my boat but the ones in front have them. I've used that cover for storage and traveling with great success.

th_HPIM1185.jpg

I agree with onamission. i have not towed my boat any long distances but i did recently just get one of the Malibu Factory Shipping covers which is made of a very thick vinyl material and usually soft padding on the side that actually touches your boat. i went to Skiers Pier and just asked if they recently got any boats close to 20' and they found me a RLX shipping cover (i think...is that the 21' something one?) it is a little long but fits my echelon quite well and did great while i washed my sunbrella cover......

Never be afraid to ask your local dealer for ideas....they saved my boat from getting rained on literally 45 min before a thunderstorm that would of left my boat beyond soaked.

Edited by meb885
Hey Crew,

East coast flight craft, north of Boston, put a shrink wrap over the canvas cover on my boat before bringing it back to Kentucky in January 06. I ran through rain, snow, sleet and salted slushy roads on the pull home. The outside of my freshly detailed Sunsetter was horrible when the trip was over but after the hull was washed off and the shrink wrap came off, the inside was untouched.

Just make sure that none of the cover, shrink wrap or straps are loose enough to flap against the gelcoat creating any rub marks. My dealer gave me an extra roll of the super powerful white tape that is used to mend any holes or tears that may happen, I only used it on two small places on the way home, but I was glad to have it with me just in case. Good luck

I towed my 06VLX from the TN factory to Rochester NY. The factory shrink cover was great and padded on the inside. I'm not sure but the factory shrink cover seems to be made specific for the boat. Seems to be pattern cut and stitched together. Maybe you can order one from the factory for your boat?? Hope you have a great trip, I always enjoy hitting the open road with boat in tow.

Good Luck,

Dave

I am haveing mine wrapped next week before a 1600 mile pull to Salt Lake. Last year I did the same thing. This is the only way to go!

What are you heading to SLC for? I had my boat towed from Orlando Florida to Salt Lake City Utah 2400miles with no problems. It was wrapped in Shrink wrap all the way down to the keel with the Ilussion Tower folded down under the shrink wrap and the swim deck removed.

Edited by jessem

What are you heading to SLC for? I had my boat towed from Orlando Florida to Salt Lake City Utah 2400miles with no problems. It was wrapped in Shrink wrap all the way down to the keel with the Ilussion Tower folded down under the shrink wrap and the swim deck removed.

It is sold if we get the deal closed on Monday!

We towed ours from Merced CA to OKC last year and it worked great. I wouldn't use my covercraft or a rankin cover for a really long haul.

I towed my boat from MN to CA at the end of January (in the snow most of the way) with my Covercraft cover and the inside of the boat was spotless. I also have the big Enkay mudflaps to protect the boat and trailer from rock chips. That being said, shrink wrap would be a good idea if you don't already own or do not want to purchase a new cover. I also bought the cheap pipe insulation from the hardware store and zip tied it to my Titan tower to add protection. It worked great.

RV