Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fin DFT Setup

mlange

I'm struggling with trying to get consistent DFT measurements and was wondering how most people are doing it and just how close they are getting from reading-to-reading.

I've seen all the pictures on the Goode site, SkiTek, etc... but none of them have really helped me in getting readings consistently within 1/100ths.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm struggling with trying to get consistent DFT measurements and was wondering how most people are doing it and just how close they are getting from reading-to-reading.

I've seen all the pictures on the Goode site, SkiTek, etc... but none of them have really helped me in getting readings consistently within 1/100ths.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm drawing a blank, what does DFT stand for?

Thanks NCH2oSki!

If I remember correctly, when I was setting up my fin I would use a small square placed on the top of the ski and touching the tail. This gave me a consistent point to reference from.

Thanks,

Mike

I've been using the depth measurement part of my calipers and I can get within 3/100ths, and end up using and average of three measurements. I don't think that its possible without some sort of a jig or square so that you can measure from the same point at the tail. I'm all for measuring and documenting fin measurements, but can 1/100ths of an inch really make that much of a difference. Some may think so, I don't think a can ski that exactly the same way in the same conditions twice in a row that I would notice the difference.

I've been using the depth measurement part of my calipers and I can get within 3/100ths, and end up using and average of three measurements. I don't think that its possible without some sort of a jig or square so that you can measure from the same point at the tail. I'm all for measuring and documenting fin measurements, but can 1/100ths of an inch really make that much of a difference. Some may think so, I don't think a can ski that exactly the same way in the same conditions twice in a row that I would notice the difference.

That's how I'm doing mine right now. Maybe I just need to press the caliper against the base of the ski more to get the measurements more consistent. I agree that 1/100ths isn't going to be noticable. But I just picked up a Monza and everything I've heard so far about that ski is that the depth and length set up can be kept pretty stock, but that the DFT makes or breaks it, so I'd like to be within 1/10ths of an inch.

Mike

That's how I'm doing mine right now. Maybe I just need to press the caliper against the base of the ski more to get the measurements more consistent. I agree that 1/100ths isn't going to be noticable. But I just picked up a Monza and everything I've heard so far about that ski is that the depth and length set up can be kept pretty stock, but that the DFT makes or breaks it, so I'd like to be within 1/10ths of an inch.

Mike

The Monza is a great ski, turns great and accelerates like a rocket, I hope you enjoy it. Not as stable as my old ski's CDX, KD and D3 but the speed and turns make up for it. I use the rod end method for DFT. Because of the sloping rails I was never sure if I was measuring the numbers I got from Rossi and Rini the same as they measured it. I found a good DFT that worked well for me then converted it to the rod end method so I could keep notes from there. I run 6.845/2.512/.69/9`. Bindings at 29 on a 66.

To start out Matt Rini told me to press the caliper against the sloped rails and start testing there.

My partner skis the 66 into 38 and he runs his monza fin way forward with a lot less length and a ton of depth. It works well for his style. I wanted a more stable platform with a D3 feel but with speed so I ended up running close to stock.

Edited by Rod S

dont worry about 1thou on the monza especially on DFT, length is more important. its a PITA to do DFT well. just keep your method consistent and then you can go from there. its bettter to be consistently inconsistent than inconsistently inconsistent Crazy.gif if you know what i mean...

dont worry about 1thou on the monza especially on DFT, length is more important. its a PITA to do DFT well. just keep your method consistent and then you can go from there. its bettter to be consistently inconsistent than inconsistently inconsistent Crazy.gif if you know what i mean...

No idea what you mean toby