Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with WBoard purchase for daughter

Full Boat

My 11 year old daughter has been wakeboarding for about 3 months now on her uncle's 140, which is way too big for her. I want to buy her a board, but need some help. She weighs 80 pounds approx, is tall and thin and very athletic. She got up on her very first try, and now lands jumps pretty consistently. Each time out she gets a little more aggresive, and I can see her trying some tricks here pretty soon.

She wants a "girl" board and likes the "look" of the O'Brien Vixen 132. Any experience with this board? Is this size too big? (I'd like to get her a board she can grow into) Any other suggestions?

My 11 year old daughter has been wakeboarding for about 3 months now on her uncle's 140, which is way too big for her.  I want to buy her a board, but need some help.  She  weighs 80 pounds  approx, is tall and thin and very athletic.  She got up on her very first try, and now lands jumps pretty consistently.  Each time out she gets a little more aggresive, and I can see her trying some tricks here pretty soon.

She wants a "girl" board and likes the "look" of the O'Brien Vixen 132.  Any experience with this board?  Is this size too big? (I'd like to get her a board she can grow into)  Any other suggestions?

132 sounds like a good number as something she can use now as well as grow into. The Vixen seems like a good choice since it is designed for women and also has a 3 stage rocker that may allow for more aggressive riding in the future.

I'm not real familiar with the Vixen. My daughter has been riding a LF Diva 128 for the past few years and has really liked it. This year she has also been riding a LF Angel 130 without the center fins and has been enjoying that one. She has that one as a demo setup for the season provided to her from where she is working. She would say that she likes them both, but they each have a different feel. A friend was out with us recently and tried out the Angel and didn't like it, which underscores the advice to demo.

I probably wouldn't go any bigger than a 132 for someone so light as your daughter.

I really like the Hyperlite "motive" series. I started on that shape...was called a Belmont and I started my son (at 5 yr. old) on a 119 motive...same shape. My wifey started with it, and my partners daughter has a 119. It is a very easy riding forgiving style. I highly recommend it.

My instinct is that the 130ish range will be a bit big for her. No doubt that she'll grow into it & yeah she's been riding a huge board, but heck, I ride a 131. I'd say that you should proabably look for a board in the mid 120's for size. My son is 10 & rides a 124 Era & is very comfortable on it. Depending on how big she is & how fast she grows, she could stay with a board that size for a very long time before feeling the need to go bigger. Hyperlite makes a couple of women's specific boards that she might like, the Eden 125 or the Divine 128 (same as a Motive) would be good choices although they're totally different boards (Eden is a subtle 3-stage rocker, Divine is continuous). Bottom line, demo demo demo.