Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine wont start, no electrical

Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum, this is my first post! I have a 2000 Wakesetter xti and I got it out of the shop recently. It ran fine the first time I used it, basically from the launch to my dock. However, I went back down to get it ready for some riding and found that not only will the engine not start, there is "no" electrical what so ever. I can get power to the cd player to load and unload cds but it wont turn on and off, if you follow me. No guage power, no beebs, nothing. Both batteries have charges and I have tried using both batteries as the main battery. I have also played with the kill switch and made sure there are no wires loose from the started or the kill switch. ANY CLUES!!!!! Im frustrated and at a loss, I dont know how it could work fine, and then all the sudden go out. Thanks!!!!!

Make sure all your circuits are intact and not POPPED for some reason. Dontknow.gif Also ensure that your battery connections are CLEAN and TIGHT and rust/corrosion free. Many times this has occurred due to a slightly corroded terminal connection.

Thats where *I* would start anyway.

Best of luck and...WELCOME! Rockon.gif

You have come to the right place for great advice!!! Thumbup.gifClap.gif

Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum, this is my first post! I have a 2000 Wakesetter xti and I got it out of the shop recently. It ran fine the first time I used it, basically from the launch to my dock. However, I went back down to get it ready for some riding and found that not only will the engine not start, there is "no" electrical what so ever. I can get power to the cd player to load and unload cds but it wont turn on and off, if you follow me. No guage power, no beebs, nothing. Both batteries have charges and I have tried using both batteries as the main battery. I have also played with the kill switch and made sure there are no wires loose from the started or the kill switch. ANY CLUES!!!!! Im frustrated and at a loss, I dont know how it could work fine, and then all the sudden go out. Thanks!!!!!

might be the neutral switch. You checked my main one in the kill switch.

Edited by lake texoma
Hey Guys,

Also check the circuit breaker on the engine. I have the monsoon and it is located on the back of the engine right above the bell housing. It's a big red button; push it in to make sure it's not that. Best of luck to you and welcome to the site Thumbup.gif

Are you getting power to the starter? I know the guages has no power but not sure how the power flow go's. I'm with Pete sounds like a main breaker.

Also put a DMM on your batterys to see what Voltage you have with the key off, on, and in starting mode.

GOT IT!

It was a breaker in the opposite compartment as the battery near the starter. Flipped it and started like nothing ever happened. Felt like an idiot, but the boat shop had never heard of it, AND its not in the manual, so I kind of feel ok about it! Thanks for all the help!!!

Another great tip from this Forum, eh? THIS PLACE ROCKS I TELLYA!!!!

Rockon.gif

Glad it worked out for you and was just a breaker. Check into those other things mentioned and clean the battery if needed, as it WILL let you down if you don't...eventually.

GOT IT!

It was a breaker in the opposite compartment as the battery near the starter. Flipped it and started like nothing ever happened. Felt like an idiot, but the boat shop had never heard of it, AND its not in the manual, so I kind of feel ok about it! Thanks for all the help!!!

If it happens again, that is a sign of an electrical problem. Check out the circuit the breaker is protecting and the breaker.

GOT IT!

So was it the breaker mounted on the engine like I thought it was?

might be the neutral switch. You checked my main one in the kill switch.

Although this wasn't the problem this time, there seemed to be a lot of bad neutral safety switches in model year 2000 Malibus. I had the one on my VLX that I had at the time fail on me. I have heard the same from others. Just an FYI.