Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1st Problem of the season!

i'd still do a driveway run (or quick inspection on the impeller) prior to launching

I much prefer working on the Tractor in the driveway versus on the launch ramp

Absolutely. Thumbup.gif That's why I described to him where the pump/impeller is located. :) I hate it when people show up at the ramp ill-prepared and then tie up the ramp attempting to do repairs that should have been done at home or at a shop. Mad.gif
i'd still do a driveway run (or quick inspection on the impeller) prior to launching

Absolutely. Thumbup.gif That's why I described to him where the pump/impeller is located. :) I hate it when people show up at the ramp ill-prepared and then tie up the ramp attempting to do repairs that should have been done at home or at a shop. Mad.gif

I don't mind that when it's March or April, shakedown is what this time of year is all about to me. July....now that's a whole 'nother thing, yet I see it way too often. Mad.gif

meb,

Keep us updated.

Absolutely. Thumbup.gif That's why I described to him where the pump/impeller is located. :)I hate it when people show up at the ramp ill-prepared and then tie up the ramp attempting to do repairs that should have been done at home or at a shop. Mad.gif

I don't mind that when it's March or April, shakedown is what this time of year is all about to me. July....now that's a whole 'nother thing, yet I see it way too often. Mad.gif

meb,

Keep us updated.

Yeah, I dread Memorial Day weekend for this reason. I've towed so many people back to the ramp because they never did any maintenance on their boat and then get stuck when it craps out during the first time out on the water.

it is for these reasons, the "shakedown run" for my season is always on the trailer with a fake-lake

doesn't mean you can't have a cooler on-board!

it is for these reasons, the "shakedown run" for my season is always on the trailer with a fake-lake

I submit that the problem posted here wouldn't have shown up on a fake a lake in the driveway. He'd driven it for over 20 minutes before it began being problematic. Whether you run it in the driveway or not, a shakedown cruise on the lake is alway advisable since there are some things that just won't show up without putting a load on the boat.

meb,

Keep us updated.

I know for a fact you're not paitent w/ people whom sit at the dock... ;)

I submit that the problem posted here wouldn't have shown up on a fake a lake in the driveway. He'd driven it for over 20 minutes before it began being problematic. Whether you run it in the driveway or not, a shakedown cruise on the lake is alway advisable since there are some things that just won't show up without putting a load on the boat.

Very true. Since you should not run the rpm's much above idle on the fake-a-lake, I doubt he would have seen the problem as well. We always do a shakedown cruise every spring. That said, we also start it on the fake-a-lake in the driveway before we leave.

meb,

Keep us updated.

I know for a fact you're not paitent w/ people whom sit at the dock... ;)

Well, when I'm sitting in a hot boat with a broken foot waiting for the yahoo at the ramp that has a dead battery because he didn't bother to check it before he left the house, I can get just a little impatient with a guy like that. Yeah, I'll admit that I was grumpy with that guy (maybe I still am).

Very true. Since you should not run the rpm's much above idle on the fake-a-lake, I doubt he would have seen the problem as well. We always do a shakedown cruise every spring. That said, we also start it on the fake-a-lake in the driveway before we leave.

Yup, that's the way we usually do it as well. This year we lived on the edge & didn't start it in the driveway first, but I had most things with me at the ramp just in case (portable jump unit, spare impeller, etc.). Plus it wasn't the middle of the summer.

I submit that the problem posted here wouldn't have shown up on a fake a lake in the driveway...
That much is true.

What irritates me is the Wally that shows up at the lake for their first trip out with an unchecked battery, unchanged fuel filter, unchanged impeller, 9 month old untreated gasoline in the tank,...and then ties up the ramp trying to figure out and fix their various problems...you can't fix stupid.