Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Clincher Gloves

thealy

I have been skiing forever but my biggest problem was not being able to hold onto the rope during a hard turn. I have been using the Clincher Gloves (the ones with a wood dowel built into the finger tips) to address this problem. These improved my skiing tremendously. This spring I recently joined AWSA and am wondering if anyone knows if these are legal for tournament events?

I have been skiing forever but my biggest problem was not being able to hold onto the rope during a hard turn. I have been using the Clincher Gloves (the ones with a wood dowel built into the finger tips) to address this problem. These improved my skiing tremendously. This spring I recently joined AWSA and am wondering if anyone knows if these are legal for tournament events?

Nope I dont think so.....

I know when I did Barefoot endurance tournaments it was a NO !

Probably a safety thing as well as giving you an advantage over someone else.

John

Skier supplied equipment, I don't think there are any rules precluding you from using clinchers. I know skiers who have skied tourney's with clinchers before and nothing was said....

Probably a safety thing as well as giving you an advantage over someone else.

Yes I don't use them barefooting. The falls can happen just too fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you find releasing more difficult with the clinchers? I use them free sking going to try H.O. rpm this year.

Do you find releasing more difficult with the clinchers? I use them free sking going to try H.O. rpm this year.

Don't know yet exactly as I am just getting into course skiing this year. I sure don't seem to have a problem with them free skiing but maybe going through a course will prove to be different.

you can't release as easily, which is why I dont like them... it can really screw up your timing and concentration in the course.

+ in tournaments you have to drop after every pass. gives your hands a break. try the hand exerciser things to strengthen them. I have always had trouble with my hands and the exercises work well.

barefooting... forget about it, you're asking for a serious injury.

I've not ever tried the clinchers but this year I got a pair of RPM gloves and I really like them. They survived a full week at Ski paradise in Acapulco without any problems and they don't seem to be wearing yet either. They are easy on my hands and have better grip then the Masterline KPalms that I have been using the last several years.

I tried clinchers for a month or so and found them counterproductive for course skiing. After you release for a one-hand turn, they sometimes interfere with regrabbing the handle and cause hicups in the regrab. Just my experience.

Picked up a pair of RPM's Monday. The only thing I could try is snow removal. Maybe Sunday just checked water temp, at 40 deg. lost 18 deg in the last two weeks. BUMMER. I used Clinchers last year for free skiing. I Had my biggest crash playing aroun last year 41 off @ 36 mph messed up my release and grab with the clinchers. Calling for hi of 48 Sunday maybe a chance to get out. Also need to get an hour or two on new Rlxi befor I ski. Dontknow.gif

Picked up a pair of RPM's Monday. The only thing I could try is snow removal. Maybe Sunday just checked water temp, at 40 deg. lost 18 deg in the last two weeks. BUMMER. I used Clinchers last year for free skiing. I Had my biggest crash playing aroun last year 41 off @ 36 mph messed up my release and grab with the clinchers. Calling for hi of 48 Sunday maybe a chance to get out. Also need to get an hour or two on new Rlxi befor I ski. Dontknow.gif

"41 off @ 36 mph" Surprised.gif I guess you're either a tour pro or just rec skiing?? I've never seen anyone rec ski @ 41' off before.

"41 off @ 36 mph" Surprised.gif I guess you're either a tour pro or just rec skiing?? I've never seen anyone rec ski @ 41' off before.

Had a V drive and the wake was almost world class @ 41 off. Ya rec skiing no corse on my lake. We ski short line all the time it makes for a great workout. we ski 35' off or shorter all the time. Crazy.gif