Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

strut bearing

Malibudude29

Does anyone know a way to replace strut bearings without removing the shaft? The problem being i ran the ski rope over and it pushed the strut bearing up into the strut about a half inch. I have slight vibration and i want to align the bearing back up with the strut?

I thought of making a coller out of something and hammering them out?

I have seem those strut/bearing pullers but they cost more then 100 dollars.....

Just wondering if someone has come up with a easy way to do this....

Regards,

Craig

I would take a section of PVC pipe (1 1/4" - 1 1/2" Dontknow.gif ) and "slice" it lengthwise to get a foot long "half-circle". Lay it against that shaft and drive it into the strut to force the bearing out. Use a rubber or plastic mallet to avoid marring the shaft. Also don't forget to loosen the hex key set screws that hold the bearings in place inside the strut.

I would take a section of PVC pipe (1 1/4" - 1 1/2" Dontknow.gif ) and "slice" it lengthwise to get a foot long "half-circle". Lay it against that shaft and drive it into the strut to force the bearing out. Use a rubber or plastic mallet to avoid marring the shaft. Also don't forget to loosen the hex key set screws that hold the bearings in place inside the strut.

This is a interesting idea, have you sucessfully done this. I think it would be extremely hard to hit the pipe being its on the inside part of the shaft but i will give it a try anyways thanks

This is a interesting idea, have you sucessfully done this. I think it would be extremely hard to hit the pipe being its on the inside part of the shaft but i will give it a try anyways thanks
No.gif But the bronze shell and rubber insert of the bearing are going to be thicker than the wall thickness of PVC pipe so it should work. Dontknow.gif Keep us posted.

One thing I didn't mention that you should know...those bearings when new come in a ~6" length that you cut in half and install a 3" piece at the front of the strut and a 3" piece at the back of the strut with a gap in the middle. To get both pieces lined up at the respective ends of the strut you will have to drive one piece completely out then drive the other back into position and then reinsert the one driven out. Crazy.gif Clear as mud? Good luck. Biggrin.gif

I wasn't able to get the PVC pipe to work but I did cut a piece of pipe in half and fabricated a plate to drive it in. Worked like a champ. Your idea might have worked but i struggle to get the pvc over the shaft and hitting it was pretty hard, I kinda copied the strutpro tool but not exactly....