Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow Boats: ALL YEARS Poll 2007

doughickey

What Years are your tow boats (past & present)  

499 members have voted

1. 1. ONLY Tow Boats (NOT sail/fishing/pontoon/paddle/etc) This poll accepts MULTIPLE entries!

• 1983 and earlier

OKAY, now we can look at your TOTAL tow-boat history. PAST and present.

This poll accepts MULTIPLE entries.

Let's restrict to boats that could be reasonably expected to be considered a "TOW" boat.

This means pontoon boats, fishing craft, sail boats, canoes, airboats, 38' Carvers, 36' Fountains and Baja's, and float planes just do NOT qualify.

Would that 18' Family run-about with the 140 hp Mercruser count? I still think "no" (even though it was used for skiing).

I suggest we restrict to what normally would be considered a "ski" boat, a "wakeboard" boat, or a "cross-over" boat.

Edited by WakeGirl
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doughickey

• WakeGirl

• 99response

• CedarLakeSkier

1990 Ski Centurien Tru Trac III

1996 Malibu Response LX

2001 Malibu Wakesetter VLX

2002 Malibu Wakesetter VLX

2003 Malibu Wakesetter VLX

2006 Malibu Wakesetter VLX

To add something to this when I went to purchase my first V-drive I was planning on purchasing an X-Star but the Mastercraft dealer treated my wife and I like we couldn't afford the boat, look how bad they screwed up!

2006 Wakesetter VLX

2004 Wakesetter DD

1999 MB Sports Boss 190

1969 Sidewinder Tahiti

1967 outboard (my memory is escaping me on the make & model)

Here's a question - do you have pictures of all of your boats? I think that I do. :)

(BTW, I cheated & edited the poll to reflect both of my pre-1983 boats, just to be accurate. :))

2006 Wakesetter VLX

2004 Wakesetter DD

1999 MB Sports Boss 190

1969 Sidewinder Tahiti

Here's a question - do you have pictures of all of your boats? I think that I do. :)

(BTW, I cheated & edited the poll to reflect both of my pre-1983 boats, just to be accurate. :))

Hey Tracie, maybe you could help me out a bit. When I created the Poll, I voted.... then needed to make a change.... then somehow it deleted my BOAT YEARS, but denied my access to vote.

There should be (for me) a tick mark against 1998; 1991, 1987.

(My earlier boats couldn't be considered even close to being ski boats....although that's all I used them for. At least the 1991 and 1987 18 footers with 200 merc's were (in their day) loosely called (and mostly used for) skiing.

Thanks

1990 Ski Ray by SeaRay: bet nobody else had one---but I knew the dealer.

1998 Sunsetter LX: still have

1983 Mastercraft 190 stars & stripes: sold for more than I paid ! ! Thumbup.gif

2006 Sunsetter 21 xti

I've never had a boat with an engine in backwards. Biggrin.gif

2006 Wakesetter VLX

2004 Wakesetter DD

1999 MB Sports Boss 190

1969 Sidewinder Tahiti

Hey Tracie, maybe you could help me out a bit. When I created the Poll, I voted.... then needed to make a change.... then somehow it deleted my BOAT YEARS, but denied my access to vote.

(My earlier boats couldn't be considered even close to being ski boats....although that's all I used them for. At least the 1991 and 1987 18 footers with 200 merc's were (in their day) loosely called (and mostly used for) skiing.

Thanks

Okay, so do you know which ones you already voted for? Problem is, I can't see who has voted for what, just totals for each year.

Sorry for my hicup.

I had originally voted for 1998 and 1991. When I went back to check (after messing up), neither year showed ANY tick marks.... yet it showed 2 Votes had been logged.

Sory and thanks.

If it can't be done easily, doesn't really matter. It's the overall view that is interesting.

I am also impressed with the number of people on this site who are driving o much buy & sell in the marketplace.

AOBLAK's post is incredible.... highlighting how important it is for a dealer to treat all customers properly. Good story... certainly for Malibu.

Presently have my 03 Bu, and a 1970 14 ft. Winner which was our skiboat till the Bu arrived. We still use the Winner in salt water and occasionally on fresh. I try to end its season with a fresh water run. It is on its third motor, the first being a 65hp of which we put 425 hours on it in two years, then I upgraded to a 115hp for footing. This motor we just wore out with 2200 hours and two rebuilds in 17 years. I ended up replacing that motor in 1989 with a 90hp which presently has 950 hours on it and it is still going strong. The boat has a 10* modified vee hull which put out a near perfect wake other than the prop wash. The Winner was only rated for an 80 hp motor but we always treated it with respect when we put the 115 on it. Prior to the Winner we had a 1966 Fabuglas with a 50 hp motor, but this was a near flatbottom boat which gave a harsh ride on the bay where we lived, so we ended up selling that to get the Winner. I have pic's of these two boats but I'm guessing I can not post them. Our family all learned to ski in 1965. We were building pyramids by 1967. They are my daughters on the left, third generation pyramiders.

Edited by electricjohn
2006 Wakesetter VLX

2004 Wakesetter DD

1999 MB Sports Boss 190

1969 Sidewinder Tahiti

Thanks

Done (it's actually quite easy).

FWIW, for the early years I think that you have to consider the time period with it. Back in the 60's, 70's & 80's there weren't too many people that had inboard tourny boat. Most people that skied recreationally were using either outboards or i/o's, that was the ski boat of that time. Now it seems like everyone has a tourny boat, mostly because they cross over well & are comfortable - 2 things that they most definitely were not back in the day. JM2C

I really love my Malibu's but I was just showing how bad dealers can make mistakes. The Mastercraft still to this day try to get me to switch brands.

1967 CC Barracuda

1980 Century Resorter

1988 Malibu Skier

2003 Malibu Sportster

All still in the family except the Barracuda, and what I'd do to get that back.

1966 Glastron Outboard, bought in '82 for $2,995; sold in '89 for $2,995

1989 Marlin I/O 187

1997 Mastercraft 225V Maristar

2003 Mastercraft 205V

2007 Malibu Response LXi

I've arrived at the top, finally.

Edited by skilvr

1989 FourWinns 180 Horizon

1992 Malibu Euro F/3

1994 Malibu FlightCraft Barefooter.......still going strong !

I have yet to find anything better to foot behind or teach kids to ski off !

The wakes are hard to beat for the best footers or the youngest of childern :)

I really do miss having a large ski platform though....

John

Doug,

So what do you think this poll is telling us, relative to the last model year poll? Of the 97 votes, there are ~194 boats counted.. or ~2 boats per respondant.

About 30% of all the boats owned in this poll are 2004 or newer, and on the other poll, it was ~56%... the difference is probably due to all the older boats that repeat buyers have had in the past.

What about my Bad a** 700HP Eliminator Daytona. Would that be a tow boat? I was involved in many 70mph ski races and that pickle fork bow is really vogue these days Whistling.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Doug,

So what do you think this poll is telling us, relative to the last model year poll? Of the 97 votes, there are ~194 boats counted.. or ~2 boats per respondant.

About 30% of all the boats owned in this poll are 2004 or newer, and on the other poll, it was ~56%... the difference is probably due to all the older boats that repeat buyers have had in the past.

Hmmm.... what's it telling us???

Of 3000 members, only 106 responses. That says maybe folks aren't too interested in another poll about boat ownership. It also says that if only 3% of members have responded, it may not fairly represent all Member's boat history.

Of 106 respondents => 239 boats. You're right..... just over 2 boats per person. (Average) I expected a higher number. So, since many folks have had 4 ~ 5 boats, that means that many of the respondents have reported only having 1st boat. Which in turn means, that many of the active poll participants are 1st time boat owners. And many of those are buying brand spankin (or VERY newish) boats.

So.... that MIGHT mean that the more active responders (on average) are those new to the sport..... and not so much (on average) those folks who've been buyingselling/using boats for years.

Combining a bunch of the data (this poll and others)..... I suspect that we will find (on average) that participation on the Crew is kinda like a marriage/honeymoon (on average). At first, people just observe for a while..... then they take a risk and make a first post..... get some "nice" response and welcome...... get more involved..... start posting a lot..... ask a lot of questions.... share a lot of info .... get quite active (honeymoon)...... and then activity starts to reduce. Still involved...... but not quite the same degree of lust and vigour.

If we ever had another poll (nope, I'm not gonna start another one)..... and plotted most Crew Members number of posts over time.... betcha we'd see a very common trend. A very skewed bell curve.(I forget the name of it.)

Signed: I'm off the Honeymoon.... but not into Crew Retirement Yet.

Doug,

May be the nature of the poll as well. The question quite clearly limited the responses to tow boats. If people have owned multiple boats (I haven't) than how many of them have their first or even second boat as a tow boat by the definition in this poll?

I suspect you're right that this poll doesn't tell us a whole lot, but it is interesting.

I voted for the years of "tow" boats I've had, which is two. I've had four boats total. Maybe some of the other members voting are doing the same which would represent tow boat ownership, not boat ownership in general.

2006 malibu Vride

1990 Supra comp

1986 Chapparal 195

1984 Renken 190

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First boat was a 2000 Sea Doo Challenger 2000, just upgraded to a 2007 vRide. We did all we could to get a good wake out of the 20 ft. Sea Doo, but the jet wash was terrible. So glad we moved to an inboard.