Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wiring a Perko Switch

wakecat

I need steps or a diagram on how to hook up a Perko Switch. I have an '05 VLX with the circuit breaker under the glove box. Does the wire coming from the alternator go to C or common on the switch? Or will this be connected to either 1 or 2 then the accessory wire be connected to 1 or 2? Is the breaker for the accesory wire coming from under the dash? As you can see I am confused. I have 2 blue tops I might use for the starting batteries and 2 6volt batterys for the stero.

thanks

Instructions

I am having a bit of trouble understanding your setup but it sounds like you plan to have 2 or more batteries, I assume your switch has the [1, 2, all, off] positions. you would hook up your batteries like shown in Diagram #2.

The Alternator wire is not in the picture unless you have the model with field disconnect.

The Accessory Wire can be connected up to the battery Positive terminal or the 1 or 2 terminal if you want power when the switch is off. Hook to the Com terminal if you do not want accessories when the switch is in off position.

The third & fourth batteries, since they are 6 volts, can be connected pos to neg ( in-series) to get 12 volts. Then you can have those batteries charged using a battery isolator from the #2 battery (+) post to the series batteries (+) post. You would drive your accessories from the in-series batteries (+) post. That way the battery could go flat and not drain the other two.

Edited by MoonDawg

Thanks again MoonDawg.

So if I understand it correctly: The wire from my alternator gets connected directly to the Com terminal on the switch. Then from the #1 terminal on the switch I go to the starting batteries (2 blue tops).

Then the accessory wire from under the dash go's through the circuit breaker and connects to #2 terminal on switch, and on the same #2 lug I connect a lead to the stereo batteries (2 6 volts in-series)?

This was all connected before I took the boat into the dealer to re-route my stock cables to under the observer’s seat. Now I just have a pile of cables.

Also, do you recommend 2 batteries for the starting side? I originally had 1 blue top for the starter and one blue top for the stereo. Now I purchased 2 Trojan 6 volt batteries for the stereo. So I have an extra blue top and figured I might as well use it. I don't think running different batteries on the same bank: two 6 volts and one blue top for just the stereo would work.

If I do use 2 blue tops for the starter would I just wire them in parallel? +to+ and -to-?

How about if I had 4 6 volts for the stereo? How would I wire these up? Have two parallel and two in series???

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again for your help.

Thanks again MoonDawg.

Q1: So if I understand it correctly: The wire from my alternator gets connected directly to the Com terminal on the switch.

Not sure what you are talking about here...are you talking about the field wire? Like Diagram 2 shows the Alternator wire should not be in the picture except for the Field disconnect wire. This wire, if your switch is setup for it, will allow you to reposition the switch while the engine is running without blowing the rectifire circuit in your alternator.

If it is the main 12V power to the alternator it is usually wired from the key ON position. The climber manual...(you need to get one of these from Amazon.com $30) has an electrical diagram on page 448. It shows a red/black or red/white or orange wire from the key ON to the alternator. You may have a large +12V wire that connects to the battery positive terminal and then goes through a circuit breaker and then to the key. In that case you could attach that wire to com so the key will get power when the switch is in position 1 or 2.

Q2: Then from the #1 terminal on the switch I go to the starting batteries (2 blue tops).

You should connect one Blue Top Pos to #1 and the other Blue Top Pos to #2. This will allow you to use the perko switch to select either blue top #1 or #2 or both to start the engine. You only need one battery to start the engine.

Q3: Then the accessory wire from under the dash go's through the circuit breaker and connects to #2 terminal on switch.

Here is where you have lots of options. If you want to normally run on either battery #1 or battery #2 then I would connect the accessory wire to the com post. Then you can run the battery flat and still switch to the other battery. just dont run with the perko switch set to all position.

Q4: and on the same #2 lug I connect a lead to the stereo batteries (2 6 volts in-series)?

What I would do is connect a hefty sized wire to the com post and then attach it to a battery isolator and then to the positive post of the 2-6 volts in series. The isolator will allow you to charge the stereo battery while cruising and keep it from draining the other battery (#1 or #2) while you play your stereo.

This was all connected before I took the boat into the dealer to re-route my stock cables to under the observer’s seat. Now I just have a pile of cables.

(they probably did not have a clue about wiring and did not want to risk blowing up any electronics)

Q5: Also, do you recommend 2 batteries for the starting side? I originally had 1 blue top for the starter and one blue top for the stereo. Now I purchased 2 Trojan 6 volt batteries for the stereo. So I have an extra blue top and figured I might as well use it. I don't think running different batteries on the same bank: two 6 volts and one blue top for just the stereo would work.

You could easily parallel connect battery #2 and (2 Trojans in series) . It will give you more amper hours. It would take a longer time to charge them and there could be some issues with charging rate. I know the Bluetop is not supposed to exceed 30 amp charge current. I know nothing about the Trojans.

I prefer using an isolator so that you do not have to move the perko switch to battery 2 to charge the Trojans, They can charge any time your running if you connect the isolator to the com post (except when the perko is in off position).

Q6: If I do use 2 blue tops for the starter would I just wire them in parallel? +to+ and -to-?

Yes that is parallel. But I would use the perko switch for the two blue tops. To parallel #1 an #2 just move the switch to the "All" setting.

Q7:How about if I had 4 6 volts for the stereo? How would I wire these up? Have two parallel and two in series???

You could do that...2 trojans in series and the other 2 trojans in series then connect the pos to pos and neg to neg so that they are parallel. I would use a battery isolator to charge the group of batteries and that isolator would be connected to the com post of the perko.

Where are the people going to sit ...that is a lot of batteries. probably 200lbs worth. Biggrin.gif

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again for your help.

I like the Blue Sea 7600 Isolator Others here have used the Hellroaring BIC 75150 they are great but cost a lot more.

Edited by MoonDawg
I need steps or a diagram on how to hook up a Perko Switch. I have an '05 VLX with the circuit breaker under the glove box. Does the wire coming from the alternator go to C or common on the switch? Or will this be connected to either 1 or 2 then the accessory wire be connected to 1 or 2? Is the breaker for the accesory wire coming from under the dash? As you can see I am confused. I have 2 blue tops I might use for the starting batteries and 2 6volt batterys for the stero.

thanks

Here's the way mine is...

post-144-1175576233_thumb.jpg

Here's the way mine is...

Lots of people seem to go through a lot of trouble separating their accessory and starting circuits while trying to combine their charging circuits.

I take a different view: all circuits connected via manual switch to 1/2/both batteries gives me the best control/reliability. When I'm running around, I run both batts to charge. When I sit for any length of time, I switch to one of the batteries. If I ever find one battery depleted (be it from sitting in the driveway or running the radio), I switch to the other one. If both are low after a long winter, I can combine them.

Granted, it does involve my turning the switch, and if I leave it on both, I could be in trouble...