Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HO CDX

uk_exile

HO CDX-1, is it a good novice slalom ski ? I'm running course with gates at low speed but want to improve.

Have found a 2001 on trademe, NZ's equiv to Ebay and was wondering if it might suit me. It's a 65" with double animals.

For more details about my needs see the 'ski/binding upgrade, but to what ?' topic http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8643

That is a very good ski. I rode one for a five years. I used to run the course at 32mph @ 22 off consistently and then bumped the speed up to 34 and it rode even better. I changed to a System8 just because Crazy.gif and never did feel comfortable on it. Ended up switching to a Monza which is better than the S8 but I'm still not as comfortable on it as I was on my old CDX-1. You know you can still get brand new CDX's from Wiley's so make sure that it's a good deal or else get a new one.

I am no-where the calibre of norcalibu.... but I bought the CDX (new via Wiley's) 2 years ago with Animals.

I love love love it. It is so forgiving for me..... and the Animals provide outstanding support.

I suspect this will be MY SKI for many many years.

I'm not sure yet which foot forward it's setup for (I have asked the seller) but in meantime does anyone know if it's possible to change the footbed front to rear in circa 2001 animals ?

Don't know.... but if you need to swap bindings or buy new, be careful on bolt patterns. Older model Animal foot plates had a different bolt pattern than fairly recent Animals.

I found the hard way. I bought a used (circa 2001 Phantom) blank as a back-up ski that originally had Animals installed. (The owner kept the bindings) When I tried to mount my newer (circa 2005) Animals onto the ski, ALL the bolt patterns had changed.

Seller wouldn't take the ski back..... so I sold on eBay.

Good luck.

CDX-1 is awesome and my only advice is to make sure you work out because that ski will hurt you if you bite off more than you can chew. I mean that in a good way. Thumbup.gif

These pictures might help.

I think they are from a 2001 HO catalogue. I found this when I bought the used Phantom.

I think it looks like the rear plate is different from the front plate. (ie: can't swap)

I don't know if you could actually take the boot off the plates, and swap rubber from front plate to rear plate.

If shipping isn't too much, buying new from Wiley's (in the US) might be the best way to go.

post-114-1175044414_thumb.jpg

post-114-1175044449_thumb.jpg

Edited by doughickey

That is a 2002 CDX in that picture.

The CDX is still probably the most popular tournament ski of all time and can still hang with the newer sticks. It's a VERY forgiving tournament-level ski. It's also very versatile. The newer offerings from HO like the S8 and Monza are extremely picky about fin setup. With my CDX, it was set it and forget it. My brother still rides my old CDX actually. Every once in a while I'll jump on it for the hell of it. Still as much fun as the day I got it.

Edited by UWSkier

The front binding hole patterns remained the same thru the years. The rears did change but a new mounting plate (about $20 from Wileys) will enable you to swap old to new or vice versa.

I'm not sure about swapping left to right. The original style ones maybe, but the Animal Superfeet I think were left/right specific.

I also agree that this ski is awesome for your level. I have been on one for years, I actually bought an extra that I've never opened just to have a backup. I'm heading thru 28 off so I'm going to try a Monza this year to get more speed.

If you buy one thru Wiley's get the blue flame graphics, it's the same as I have on my ASX and looks really sharp.

Edited by skislut

I had and still have that ski, it's great. I bought the HO Truth because I like the graphics better and was able to increase my speed by 3 mph and a shorter rope but I'm still trying to figure it out. I was also riding the HO animal boots but soon found they loosen up after a few seasons, when you find the ski you like and feels good try and push it to your limits. I have experienced it hard stepping up to different skies and also have an older phantom that just sits now.

the auction finishes Tuedays so I'll keep you updated how it goes.

In meantime there was brand new Obrien Synchro with bindings sold for NZ$549, that's about US$370 ! Wish I'd been quicker onto it

What are shipping costs likely to be?

Brand new Connelly F1X 65" for $325 or HO Triumph 67" for $329 both come with double boots.

or HO Triumph at Wiley's for $299 with Wiley's bindings.

the missed synchro deal probably doesn't sound that great to you guys but they retails here normally for NZ$899 - $999

It's about US$105-140 for shipping US-NZ depending where brought from. Plus exchange rate of NZ$1 = US$0.69. Plus 12.5% tax when arrives here.

Result is a US$329 ski becomes NZ$764 inc shipping & tax = US$527 or 160% the price you guys can buy it for Cry.gif

You need to find someone heading your way on vacation and have them bring "their" ski with them and then accidentally "forget it" when they leave. Biggrin.gif

The CDX is a great ski, stable and forgiving and a good performer in the ski course. The CDX skis well in smooth and rough water. There are several skis mentioned, experience and several expert opinions agree that most skis fall in to two category's in terms of skiability or feel. The HO / Goode / KD / Fisher group and the Connelly / O'brien group. Most people favor one of the two groups but don't like skis from the opposite group. Just food for thought and of course there are exceptions to every rule. Also, fin postition can have a greater effect than the actual ski itself, so make sure you get good fin settings for the ski you purchase.

The CDX is a great ski, stable and forgiving and a good performer in the ski course. The CDX skis well in smooth and rough water. There are several skis mentioned, experience and several expert opinions agree that most skis fall in to two category's in terms of skiability or feel. The HO / Goode / KD / Fisher group and the Connelly / O'brien group. Most people favor one of the two groups but don't like skis from the opposite group. Just food for thought and of course there are exceptions to every rule. Also, fin postition can have a greater effect than the actual ski itself, so make sure you get good fin settings for the ski you purchase.
Ummm, HO and KD are in two different camps. HO & O'Brien were both "Herb-owned" companies so obviously they are in the same camp. Kidder, KD, and D3 are all Denny Kidder companies and Goode skis similar to these. I have heard mixed things about Connelly, about which other brands they ski similar to, so I don't know what to tell you there. Haven't talked with anyone about Fishers yet...

I have been on a 2002 CDX for a last few years and love it. As stated above a very versatile ski.

Not sure how big you are but a 65 seems pretty small.

Good luck

I have been on a 2002 CDX for a last few years and love it. As stated above a very versatile ski.

Good luck

I've got the 70" '02 CDX and I like it pretty much. I've recently lost >20 lbs. (getting rid of some road-warrior weight I picked up over the years) and am down to about 185 lbs which I think was the very low end of the weight suggested for this length ski. Any opinions about whether I should consider stepping down the length to 68". I mostly free ski, but can run the course at 15 off, 28 - 30 mph when I get the chance and am looking to spend much more time in the course this summer...

I've got the 70" '02 CDX and I like it pretty much. I've recently lost >20 lbs. (getting rid of some road-warrior weight I picked up over the years) and am down to about 185 lbs which I think was the very low end of the weight suggested for this length ski. Any opinions about whether I should consider stepping down the length to 68". I mostly free ski, but can run the course at 15 off, 28 - 30 mph when I get the chance and am looking to spend much more time in the course this summer...
Any opinions? This group? :lol:

If you are going to stay down around 28-30 mph then stay with the 70. The 68 would want to sink at the slower speeds. If you're going to pick up the speed to 32 - 34 then drop down to a 68. The CDX skis much better at 32 than 28-30...and even better at 34. Try it freeskiing, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by NorCaliBu
If you are going to stay down around 28-30 mph then stay with the 70. The 68 would want to sink at the slower speeds. If you're going to pick up the speed to 32 - 34 then drop down to a 68. The CDX skis much better at 32 than 28-30...and even better at 34. Try it freeskiing, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks....yes, I've really noticed how much better it skis the faster I go when freeskiing, now if I could just get this old body to be able to make the course at those speeds... :blush:

Anyone have a 68" to swap for a 70"??

Thanks....yes, I've really noticed how much better it skis the faster I go when freeskiing, now if I could just get this old body to be able to make the course at those speeds... :blush:

Anyone have a 68" to swap for a 70"??

Maybe... What sort of shape is the ski in? I have an '02 68" sitting blank right now, and an '01 68" that's in use by my brother. The '02 is mint. The '01 has a blem top but the ski is fine. I would possibly be able to swap one of those and put my brother on a 70." He's putting on the pounds lately and needs a longer ski.

Edited by UWSkier

Good luck

I'm 150-155lbs and 5'7". Currently running course mid 20-s but aiming for more

the seller has said the animals aren't directional and can use with either foot forward. Perhaps older ones didn't have orthotics ?

the seller has said the animals aren't directional and can use with either foot forward. Perhaps older ones didn't have orthotics ?
Correct. The non-lace-up Animals had a small wedge system underneath the boot. You insert a small hex key in a hole on the side that you want arch support on and tighten the screw and it would raise the arch support to whatever height you desired.