Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

carpet saver

ricnvic

Last year I had to take my carpet saver out because of the sour/mold smell. this was after being on the lake for 2 days and not getting over wet and it was not the boat carpet because as soon as you took the carpet out the boat smelled alright, it was the saver. I took it home high pressure washed it and then shampooed it, then after a weekend at the lake the smell came back so I stopped using it. I really like the carpet saver and want to start using it again but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they have done to remedy it. I told Bell Aqua and just got the deer in the headlights look like everything you ask them. ( I will save my Bell Aqua Rant for another thread)

Ric,

IME, the only thing that I've found that will get that smell out is a mixture of water with a little bleach. I used a solution like that on our '04's carpet & it worked. The key is to get it rinsed really well & then as much of the water out as possible. If you decided to do it, test it on a corner first to be sure of color-fastness.

It seems like a PITA to take it out every time you do a run, maybe if I took it out at night then put it back in in the morning.

I will give all the suggestions a try and see what works best.

It seems like a PITA to take it out every time you do a run, maybe if I took it out at night then put it back in in the morning.

I don't think that I've had mine out & I've had it since July of last summer. Maybe we don't get as much water in the boat? I don't know.

I don't think that I've had mine out & I've had it since July of last summer. Maybe we don't get as much water in the boat? I don't know.

Ive got a few over the bow splashes, but nothing that soaked the interior. sometimes just the normal water off the swim suits is all it gets. Wakegirl, do you take it out after you bring the boat home for the weekend?

Nope, it pretty much stays in 24/7. It could be that you got the smell in it once, & that was all it took. I know that I have to be real careful about that whether it's the saver or the boat carpet itself. It only takes once, then it's in there for good until you use something like bleach to kill the bacteria causing the smell. One thing that I do when we get home & the boat is pretty wet is to open up all of the compartments on the boat & set up several fans in the garage to keep air moving (including fans in the boat directed at the carpet). I've found that no air movement is one of the worst things that causes that smell to build.

Nope, it pretty much stays in 24/7. It could be that you got the smell in it once, & that was all it took. I know that I have to be real careful about that whether it's the saver or the boat carpet itself. It only takes once, then it's in there for good until you use something like bleach to kill the bacteria causing the smell. One thing that I do when we get home & the boat is pretty wet is to open up all of the compartments on the boat & set up several fans in the garage to keep air moving (including fans in the boat directed at the carpet). I've found that no air movement is one of the worst things that causes that smell to build.

This is the key to eliminating the odor once and for all.

It is the carpet saver, the minute I take it out of the boat the smell goes away. I pressure washed it and let it dry in the sun and put it back in the boat, then after a day on the lake the smell was back. I will try the bleach and baking soda and see how it goes. I just caan't see pulling it out in the middle of the day then putting it back in every time we leave the houseboat Crazy.gif